4G Personal Hotspot.

12 posts
by Pumtrix » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:49 pm
Hi,

I'm currently trying to create a 4G hostpot using my Raspberry Pi. To begin the project I bought a Raspberry Pi Model B, and also a Huawei E392 4G LTE dongle as this is the only available adapter currently in the UK.

So after heavily researching online, I installed lsusb, usbmodeswitch, networkmanager, sakis3g and have tried different options which keep drawing up blanks.

So when I type lsusb:
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 12d1:151a Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

So regarding usb modeswitching, correct when my device is connected it only comes up as a usb storage device. After a little research I followed this thread:
http://ilmoita.net/mot/?p=177

# usb_modeswitch -b2 -W -v 12d1 -p 151a -n –message-content 555342437f0000000002000080000a11062000000000000100000000000000

Which brings me the error:
http://puu.sh/2mtOC - And also crashes my Pi.

I installed gnome network manager:
In which it wouldn't allow me to save a mobile data connection if you see this image here:
http://puu.sh/2mtS2

Also when I try to use sakis3g I also get an error:
http://puu.sh/2mtUW

I honestly have no idea where I'm going wrong here, I know it's new devices but the chipset does seem to be supported elsewhere. If anyone could shine a bright light here I'd appreciate it.

Dave.
by dch26 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:44 pm
i also have a huawei e392
my device id is the same 12d1:151a

this modem seems to need a driver "qmi_wwan"

the latest version i could find (source) was at:
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/dr ... qmi_wwan.c

and this even mentions the e392 specifically

need to get this compiled and tested. dont know if its as straightforward as that,
but nothing ventured....and all that.

if nobody else has started by thursday, i will do it then as i have free time.

i dont want to use mine as a personal hotspot - i will use mine as my internet
gateway - providing DHCP & firewall & shared internet services to my network.
(just as it does right now with my 3g dongle)

cheers
dch
by mfg » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:24 am
I am also trying to get my Huawei E398 running with QMI. I already have the uqmi tool compiled and the wwan0 interface showing with ifconfig. It is not desireable anymore to use a ppp connection with 4G dongles if they support other means (like the native network interface wwan0).

Now my challenge is to get the uqmi to start the connection, which is not trivial (moreo r less undecumented). But i hope i get this running over the weekend. If I am successfull i'll post a How-To and maybe this will then help you guys aswell.
by lysdexia » Wed May 22, 2013 10:25 pm
Any luck? I'm preparing to dive into this particular mud hole as well.
by mfg » Wed May 22, 2013 11:35 pm
by raspirate79 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:42 pm
Just a note: the E392 LTE Modem has to be supplied with about 800mA/5V (4W) power.
http://www.starhub.com/content/dam/support/broadband/docs/E392_Product_Specification.pdf

This is the reason it doesn't work with some 3G/4G routers and this will also be a problem with the raspberry pi, if used without a powered USB hub.

The symptom will most probably be a reset of the pi.
by dch26 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:28 pm
ok, i did this following the link above....and i got it working (sort of).

using a powered USB hub, and my E392 connected to that.

once i eventually got all the connection strings sorted etc i could connect to the internet.
i set up the pi as a firewall and dhcp server....and my other computers on my home network could connect too.

all good - or so i thought.

then......for some reason...i decided to do a speedtest.net
the pi crashed.

thinking it was a fluke, i tried again - same result.
hmm.....what do i mean by crash.....well, no response to mouse or keyboard and no SSH anymore. it no longer responded
to pings. dead.

so.....i surfed around on it for a few hours - all good.
then tried youtube on another computer......crash.

so.....i have given up temporarily.

i can only assume that because the E392 is USB and the network adapter also runs thru the USB circuitry that the sheer volume/speed of data is too much for the little pi when you try fast/large files?

anyone have any thoughts on this?
i am on EE and get a very good speed - 25mb down and 22mb up.
pi cant keep up - or are there settings i could try to control USB/network.

do we think that overclocking would help?

cheers
dch
by oldcream » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 am
Hi,
i had a problem like yours.
I solved using an external USB power supply adapter (http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutio ... -usb-3-hub).

My problem now is the speed.
With an lte key, and an lte internet contract, i expect to reach 100 Mbit/sec(downlink) and 50(uplink); but i could reach only 26 and 15. but on windows the speed are respected.

I have to change some parameters, or raspberry is not right to reach that speed?

Thank you

dch26 wrote:ok, i did this following the link above....and i got it working (sort of).

using a powered USB hub, and my E392 connected to that.

once i eventually got all the connection strings sorted etc i could connect to the internet.
i set up the pi as a firewall and dhcp server....and my other computers on my home network could connect too.

all good - or so i thought.

then......for some reason...i decided to do a speedtest.net
the pi crashed.

thinking it was a fluke, i tried again - same result.
hmm.....what do i mean by crash.....well, no response to mouse or keyboard and no SSH anymore. it no longer responded
to pings. dead.

so.....i surfed around on it for a few hours - all good.
then tried youtube on another computer......crash.

so.....i have given up temporarily.

i can only assume that because the E392 is USB and the network adapter also runs thru the USB circuitry that the sheer volume/speed of data is too much for the little pi when you try fast/large files?

anyone have any thoughts on this?
i am on EE and get a very good speed - 25mb down and 22mb up.
pi cant keep up - or are there settings i could try to control USB/network.

do we think that overclocking would help?

cheers
dch
by bhatsunny1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:10 am
when I try to compile the qmi source i'm getting this error.

/lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/qmi/qmi_wwan.c:21:31: fatal error: linux/usb/cdc-wdm.h: No such file or directory
by comthre3 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:02 pm
mfg wrote:http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/bb/viewtopic.php?p=9465#p9465

It is possible :)

Have you tried it yourself? if so, can you please post a step by step guide on how you've managed to set it up? I want to have a similar setup to what is proposed, which is connect the raspberry pi to the internet using the LTE dongle, and forwarding the packets to my router through an rj45 cable. the router will be handling the DHCP. is such a setup possible?

Thanks
by comthre3 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:40 am
Ok, i've managed to get everything up and running, the pi is natting correctly and i am able to browse the net, speedtest and all, im using Sakis3g script rather than uqmi, for some reason i couldnt get it to make install on my pi. anyways, Im facing the same random disconnection issue, has anyone manage to solve it?
I've tried a couple of USB hubs 3.0 2.0 all powered off course, yet nothing. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
by ameypg » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:04 am
This is useful for Airtel 4G USB modems in India. Huawei E392 but with vendor:product IDs - 12D1:1506 :)
Thanks!!