Make Pi's automatically connect to eachother.

3 posts
by Goggles2114 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:00 pm
I"m not even sure what practical applications this would have given how ubiquitous smartphones are Yet it interests me.

Person A has a pi mounted in their car. Person B has one in their coat. Person C had one mounted in... say... a bus-stop shelter.

How do we get Pi's A and B talking to C without user interaction? What they do after is immaterial so far as I know since if you get a connection you could do all sorts of things 9check a folder/feed/whatever for updates, pull files, upload files. All this on the idea the connecting units can tell one user/connection from another.)

Right now could be a solution/concept without a problem but I like the idea, especially if you're suddenly in a situation where the internet itself isn't stable and you want to pass on metric boatloads of info (like a disaster-centric wiki, or simply syncing news/mail from person to person until it gets to a final destination.

How... un-practicle is this?

Edit: Friend had a good idea. Have personal widgets, but you'd have stationary objects that act as aggrigate/nodes and the foot traffic is what gets things from node to node.

What i'm stumped on is if, say, you sent a message to Pete how do we keep the message to pete from propagating Everywhere endlessly even after Pete's gotten it?

Then there's security both in making sure the id/tag/whatever telling your personal pi thing apart from everyone else isn't cloaned/copied. And then thre's 'how do you keep this from becoming a police state nightmare?

Yes i write. Yes this might be a short story. But right now i"m just looking at it as a logistics challange.
by ghans » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 pm
This is called mesh networking , and still a research topic.
Thats all i have to say. OK , i can throw google search terms at you
till you get the urge to study for a CS major :D

- Avahi (LAN)
- B.A.T.M.A.N. (on OpenWrt)
or OLSR
- Diaspora (the social network)
- FreedomBox (the foundation and the device)
- Freifunk (whatever its called in your country )

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by geztor » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:34 pm
This type of networking has been studied for some years now and is typically called delay (/disruption) tolerant networking. There are protocol specs by the IRTF DTNRG and multiple implementations. One light-weight implementation that would probably run well on the rPi is http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/ibr-dtn/.