Setting up internal Pi-Fi Network

7 posts
by rkr » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:33 am
I recently joined university and got free wifi.
It runs just fine bu there is small catch. The network is open but you have to login at a page in the browser everytime you connect to the wifi AP.

Now, I'm planning to use the Pi to automatically connect to the university wifi, login and and the bridge the connection to a separate internal wifi for myself. All this just to save the hassle of logging in. The main issue being the you have to give some activity every 3 minutes to remain logged in, otherwise you are logged and have to re-login. :cry:

So, anybody thinks this is possible/feasible to create a Pi-Fi Network?
I don't know much but I heard there are http requests or forms which can be automatically filled (which i believe is the requirement in this case) :?:

P.S. I'll be using two wifi dongles I have spare...

by alexchamberlain » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:41 am
First, try to bridge the connections etc without automating login. If it works, come back and we'll automate the login.
Developer of piimg, a utility for working with RPi images.
by rkr » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:29 pm
alexchamberlain wrote:First, try to bridge the connections etc without automating login. If it works, come back and we'll automate the login.

Okay, thanks. And sorry for late reply.
All this is still in my mind. I'm yet to get my Pi from home to the University.
Will post here when I'm done...
by Mattylad » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:09 pm
ISTR that there are programs available that do this for you, you just teach it once and from then on it logs you in.
by bredman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:51 pm
If you want to create continuous traffic, you could set the RPi to ping something on the internet every 2 minutes.
by FX4 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:04 pm
If your school is like most universities your setup is going to get flagged as a rogue network and blocked.
by fhlipZero » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:16 pm
Thats why you'd have to be a little bit tricky with it and at least set it up as a cloaked network, so now one of your adapters need to be hostap compatible. Make a script to ping out every 2 minutes like the last guy said and it should work pretty well