portable wifi media server for iphone/ipad?

11 posts
by mixedfruit » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:01 pm
Now that i have my raspberry pi, I am thinking of a battery powered project that acts very much like a kingston wi-drive (a device that connects to ios devices and serves its media to the ios device, no internet or other frills, just a media streamer) but with a lot more storage 32/64/500gb... the plan is to use a raspberry pi, wifi dongle in some sort of router mode? that allows a iphone/ipad to connect to it, either a harddrive or usb stick for storage. as i know very very little about linux, how would i go about setting this up, as i have not really seen this question asked before? many thanks...
by mixedfruit » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:46 pm
well so far i have managed to figure out how to create a wi-fi hotspot (not sure how to fix the ip address yet though).
i modified the /etc/rc.local file to inclide (just before it shows the local ip address....)
sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
sudo iwconfig wlan0 channel 6
sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "pi"
sudo iwconfig wlan0 key "1234567890"
sudo iwconfig wlan0 up
sudo ifconfig
sudo dhcclient wlan0

so anyone have any ideas how to fix the raspberry pi's ip address, and allow my ipad to watch films on my ipad streamed from my raspberry???
by mixedfruit » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:39 pm
no help at all from anyone??? :?
by godFather89 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:46 pm
I think you need a DHCP server.
by fhlipZero » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:52 pm
you could do a dhcp server or just use static ips. if you do ifconfig eth0 10.0.1.1 on the pi, then set a static ip of 10.0.1.2 on the devices that connect to its hotspot, they all should be able to communicate fine, i set mine up the same way except added the ifconfig to a startup script so it all just happens when the pi turns on.
by m.alirezaie » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:30 am
I have been wondering the same question as you, and since you were able to figure out a way to create your own wifi hotspot, I would appreciate if you could explained how did you go about creating a wifi hotspot with the r-pi. What hardware did you use? Did you have to code the r-pi to create it?
Thank you
by Wendo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:02 am
Depending on your wireless adapter you probably want to look at "hostap". if your adapter can support it it will make the pi look like an access point to other devices.

You will also need a DHCP server as has been suggested, the package name is usually dhcpd but if you're on a debian variant you can look at udhcpd (a smaller cut down version).

Now if it's going to be battery powered you're pretty much limited to a USB stick or very large SD card. A HDD will take too much power or you'll need a huge battery, which is somewhat impractical.

Once you've got that far you need to find an iOS app that will allow you to connect and play the files. You may be able to do this by installing a UPNP/DLNA server (mediatomb comes up in a quick search) on the pi and using something like airplayer on the iOS devices, although that will likely only work for h.264 encoded files.

If your iDevice is jailbroken you could just install XBMC and connect directly to the pi using NFS/ftp/SMB or whatever
by pigeorgetaylor » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:15 pm
I love this idea!!

Gonna give it a go now! One question though, If I get the pi to act as a hotspot and get it sharing files, how would the iPhone download files from it? Surely the pi would need to upload them (therefore needing internet?)

George
by peterburk » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:43 am
George -
No, an FTP server runs on the local network, and doesn't need to connect to the external Internet to upload files to your iPhone.

If you are setting up your Raspberry Pi as an FTP server, here is a guide I made to explain the necessary steps!
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31543

Peter
by wazzBate » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:48 am
I've successfully installed "Air Video" on a linux box before but not on raspberry pi.
I'm assuming it wouldn't work too well on Raspberry Pi simply because of the limitation of processing grunt.

http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/1856.page

This might make an interesting first raspberry pi project for me! :)
by wazzBate » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am
Heres my first pi project with airvideo .
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=31808

You could adapt it to suite your IOS needs.