Remote connection from iPhone without a router?

16 posts
by Wolfram23 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:10 pm
Hi guys. I'm doing a project involving putting my RPi in my car, however, to get it setup and see if things work, I need to be able to plug it in and of course test things out and make changes.

Putting a monitor in my car is not really an option.

So, yesterday I was able to SSH into my RPi from my iPhone 3GS and I borrowed my girlfriend's bluetooth keyboard, and it worked quite well. She also offered to let me borrow her iPad so I can do it with a nice big screen.

What I need, though, is a way to do this (either SSH or Remote Desktop) without my home network. I live in an apartment so I don't have a signal down in the parkade. My RPi has a USB Wifi dongle.

Any suggestions?
by Nr90 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:43 pm
Perhaps you could make your RPi function as a wireless acces point and connect to it over wifi.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19120 might help
by Wolfram23 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:48 pm
That might just be crazy enough to work! Thanks!
by Nr90 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:50 pm
Good luck! :D
by Wolfram23 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:53 pm
I wasn't able to get that method to work. I was hoping it could be possible to remote desktop in using bluetooth... any ideas?
by ghans » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:19 pm
Can't the iPhone act as hotspot ? Add a WiFi dongle to the Pi
and you're good to go.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by Wolfram23 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:24 pm
ghans wrote:Can't the iPhone act as hotspot ? Add a WiFi dongle to the Pi
and you're good to go.

ghans

Are you kidding me? Obviously I'm using a wifi dongle
by ghans » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:36 am
So does the setup i suggested work ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by Wolfram23 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:44 am
Not exactly. I'm already setup on my home network. The issue is I can't connect to my phone's hotspot now. Bear in mind I'm trying to do all this through SSH in terminal.

sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "hotspotname" key s:"wpa2key"

doesn't work. It might have to do with already being connected to my home network. What I need to do is figure out how to set it up to connect to either network, depending which is available. I don't know how to do that and my Google-foo seems to be failing.
by xJORGENx » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:02 am
First post. Sorry in advance for any confusion.

If using the RPi as an access point didn't work, then you can probably find a Debian (or whatever Linus base you are using) compatible USB Bluetooth device to pair with your iPhone. But if you do this, you would have to tunnel SSH over Bluetooth and write an iPhone app to read the data. It's possible, but I feel like that is more work than needed.

Why not bring your RPi home and configure a working wifi access point with a monitor and keyboard. You may need to configure static IP addresses, unless you install a dhcp server.

Good luck
Feel free to ask me (almost) any questions.
No π yet, but very interested...
by geztor » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:30 pm
Wolfram23 wrote:sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "hotspotname" key s:"wpa2key"

doesn't work.

iwconfig only works with WEP, for WPA you need to use wpa_supplicant.
by bgirardot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:41 pm
I would also point out not all wifi dongles support AP mode.

I saw a command on here somewhere that would list all the features of your wifi dongle's chipset, but I can not remember what the command was.

Anyway, it was news to me when I read it that the dongle hardware itself has to support AP mode, but I guess it makes sense.
by xJORGENx » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:49 pm
bgirardot wrote:I would also point out not all wifi dongles support AP mode.

I saw a command on here somewhere that would list all the features of your wifi dongle's chipset, but I can not remember what the command was.

Anyway, it was news to me when I read it that the dongle hardware itself has to support AP mode, but I guess it makes sense.

Code: Select all
iw list

Is the command your looking for.

Even if it doesn't, all wifi adapters can create an ad-hoc network, AFAIK.
No π yet, but very interested...
by Wolfram23 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:07 pm
Thanks for the feedback guys. The issue I'm having is simply that the Pi doesn't want to connect to my cellphone hotspot (when using SSH). I haven't had a chance to plug a monitor direct into the Pi yet, though - the only HDMI connection in my apartment is my TV! I'll give it a try doing it that way, see if I can set up 2 wifi spots. I'm not really sure how but hopefully my Google-fu will prevail.
by truehl » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:27 pm
I've successfully set up a scenario you need, i think! I've installed an access point on RPi, this is seen by my iPad, I can connect, I get an IP from RPi and I can communicate in a local WLAN served by RPi. I can also connect more of my devices e.g. an iPod. I use this to build a WLAN for my multi room music system. I can also use the RPi as a player, as well as my Apple devices. That's very cool. To make it absolutely mobile I ordered a power bank, I've not yet tested. If you also connect eth0 to your LAN, the Pi acts as a router and you can have Internet access.

If you are interessted in this, I can give you more details. I'll also include this feature in SqueezePlug the next days.
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by ForceFedDSM » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:01 am
truehl wrote:I've successfully set up a scenario you need, i think! I've installed an access point on RPi, this is seen by my iPad, I can connect, I get an IP from RPi and I can communicate in a local WLAN served by RPi. I can also connect more of my devices e.g. an iPod. I use this to build a WLAN for my multi room music system. I can also use the RPi as a player, as well as my Apple devices. That's very cool. To make it absolutely mobile I ordered a power bank, I've not yet tested. If you also connect eth0 to your LAN, the Pi acts as a router and you can have Internet access.

If you are interessted in this, I can give you more details. I'll also include this feature in SqueezePlug the next days.

I am interested in your work truehl. I plan to use a RPi with a wifi adapter to connect to as an access point with my iPhone or iPad. I would then like to send a webpage with drop downs for settings. When a change is made the RPi will send the proper new setting to a device it is connected to. Then I will be able to make changes remotely.

What wifi module would I need to be compatible?