RPi as WiFi cam server

3 posts
by Mr47 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:44 pm
Hello. I'm planning of using 3 WiFi camera's for surveilance. My plan is to use RPi as a recording server with an external HDD. I'll be using a Revision 1, Model B with 256mb RAM. My questions are:
1. Is it capable of recording HD cam streams?
2. How can I do it?
3. Could you guys recommend a camera, which is not expensive? +-100USD per unit. it has to have a night filming function.
4. Is a 54mb/s WiFi AP enough for such load?
5. Will the RPi's USB's be able to write at such speeds?
by Mr47 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:20 pm
Mr47 wrote:Hello. I'm planning of using 3 WiFi camera's for surveilance. My plan is to use RPi as a recording server with an external HDD. I'll be using a Revision 1, Model B with 256mb RAM. My questions are:
1. Is it capable of recording HD cam streams?
2. How can I do it?
3. Could you guys recommend a camera, which is not expensive? +-100USD per unit. it has to have a night filming function.
4. Is a 54mb/s WiFi AP enough for such load?
5. Will the RPi's USB's be able to write at such speeds?

Raising the camera budget to 150USD per unit.
by ghans » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:46 pm
Get a IP Cam which does not use stupid Java or worse , ActiveX applets for its webinterface.
Best would be one with h.264 i suppose. Dump that stream to the harddisk via
mplayer. Use a python script to manage the whole thing. Do format the harddisk to
ext3 , else it will be too slow. I believe three lower-res h.264 streams should be managable with
the WiFi bandwith.
For other formats i'm sceptical.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org