[Distro] Raspberry Server: Web Edition

132 posts   Page 4 of 6   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
by Coburn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:30 am
OK... Why the heck is it still spitting out absurd file sizes when compressing it?

The RC1 release was almost 870MB via XZ (a newish LZMA2-compression), while this one, when compressed via WinRAR, is 906MB. I'm trying with a 7zip archive on Ultra compression.

The root file system only has around 900MB of data on it. I deleted a lot of locales that won't be needed and deleted a few things.. Maybe I need to tarball the system, do a complete SD card format (write zeros all over the SD), then start fresh. Maybe there's data in the unused area that is getting picked up by the Disk Image software and it won't compress properly. It seems most of the archive bloat happens when the archiver gets to 1GB+. I just don't get it...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure RC2 will be the "gold" image for the 1.1 branch. While the kernel is not the latest one (it's the one before the latest that doesn't do auto-memory slicing), it's good enough for a daily driver in the web server department.

I'm going to call it a day. If you have any questions or comments, I'll read them when I get home or I'll answer them tomorrow.

Is it the same URL, or not available for d/l yet??

Not available until I can get a reasonably small archive. 7z is going crazy now - 1655MB and it's 603MB compressed? Just what the heck is on my SD Card in the unused data area?
by benzeman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:58 pm
Have you had any luck with fixing this yet?
by Coburn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:00 am
The filesize issue has been fixed. The boss that I'm contracted to said that if you use Windows to compress the image file, then Windows treats the file as a sparse file and screws things up. So, he suggested that I make the archive in Linux.

And so, I've managed to 7Zip the archive, which holds a 2GB SD Card image (~1.86GB) and the total filesize is 161MB. Better than the 870MB+ RC1 image, eh?

I'll upload this as soon as I can as I'm away from the office (it's Saturday) and 3G is rather crap when it comes to uploads. Unless I hit a reception pocket that provides good up and down speeds...
by cypher1024 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:36 am
Awesome!
by Coburn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:25 am
Just letting you know that I have tested the newly created image, and everything rocks. No random kernel panics or any funny stuff, it just works.

No services fail to start, since I've managed to get MySQL back on it's feet (it was refusing to start up due to InnoDB being the default engine, and I didn't want InnoDB to be used, only MyISAM due to memory limits).

Will upload tomorrow, and I will start selling SD Cards with the distro preloaded on it this week! :)
by DavGerm4 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:39 pm
So are we still waiting for a release for this? Or has it already been released? If so, where is it?

Thanks!
by benzeman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:42 pm
Still waiting...
by sjfaustino » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:17 pm
I don't want to discourage the Original poster by any means, and thinks it's a great idea, the more specialized distros the better since people can focus on what they really want, but why not do your own?

I'm using a raspbian distro with apt-get of all I need, that way I get a standard repository that updates with just a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade and has all the features of this distro. Okay, not the reduction in size since I haven't removed anything from raspbian but even so, it doesn't fill a 2GB SD and considering that a 4GB SD costs 4.5€ most places, I'm not sure why you want to reduce the size anyway...

You can check the speed of my current webserver running on a 256MB Pi at ht tp :// p ta ni me. dy ndn s.org <- remove the spaces to get the correct url
by poing » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:39 pm
What I did was use the lampascript from this url: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=15819&p=160175 from the basic Raspian distro.

At some point you have to use 'sudo bash #' for otherwise it doesn't work, but then you have a working system as the OP intents to create with just a few mouseclicks. I wonder why there is no feedback for the lampascript and, as a consequence, if the OP will actually sell some SD cards ;)

That said I don't want to dis encourage the OP for maybe his distro will work better...
by Coburn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:13 am
Sorry for double posting, but here's also the list of passwords that I've used in Raspberry Server: Web Edition. Make sure you change them ASAP!

Raspberry Server Default Passwords List.
by big250 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:52 am
no download link?
by Coburn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:00 am
big250 wrote:no download link?

Please, check out the post above the post above.

In case you missed:
Anyway. I just did a stupid thing - I left my USB with the image that I'm supposed to upload today at home. Looks like have I'll upload it over 3G tonight. Sorry guys, but you know, all geeks make mistakes!

That means that a download link will appear in this thread tonight once it's uploaded.
by Coburn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:53 am
Raspberry Server: Web Edition, v1.1 GOLD Image released.
This is the real deal. :o Remember, replace the start.elf with one suited for your R-Pi. See the folders "for_256MB_pi" or "for_512MB_pi". By default, it is configured for Raspberry Pis with 256MB RAM.

You can use Win32 Disk Imager to write this image to the SD. Once complete, unplug your SD from the reader device and plug it into the SD reader again. Windows should open up a FAT partition. Do the start.elf replacement when that appears.

DIY Image: (use 7Zip to decompress. WinRAR may work, but not sure): http://d-h.st/89Q
Easy way out: buy a SD Card with it pre-loaded: Coburn's Domain Store. Aussie Only at this moment in time.

Note that $20 may be a little steep, but it will get cheaper if I get a lot of orders. I am also talking to Liz about the R-Server logo, she's cool and all with it - just gotta run the logo by her. :)
by DavGerm4 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:41 am
Thanks for this! Will give it a go!
by cypher1024 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:49 am
:D

I'm so excited, I nearly wet myself. Thanks man!
by poing » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:49 am
Works :shock:

Any tips what to do to expand the image to my full 8GB?
by benzeman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:51 am
poing wrote:Works :shock:

Use a g parted live cd...
by Argon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:26 pm
So, this is with apache or not? I Run a Joomla site and i think it needs apache.
If it doesn't contain Apache, I can install it right?
by Boezelman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:19 pm
Argon wrote:So, this is with apache or not? I Run a Joomla site and i think it needs apache.
If it doesn't contain Apache, I can install it right?

You don't need appache for Joomla.
lighttpd with sql and php runs Joomla just fine!
by Boezelman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:20 pm
poing wrote:Works :shock:

With the first release I just downloaded Raspi-config and selected expand partition :D
by Argon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:48 am
Is it not an idea to install also Ramlog on it? So that the SD card life is longer?
by poing » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:30 am
Boezelman wrote:With the first release I just downloaded Raspi-config and selected expand partition :D

OK, that works.

What doesn't work is having a Ralink RT5370 WiFi dongle attached to the Pi for then booting halts when the webserver is started. I have the same trouble with my regular install (Raspian with Apache) while the original Raspian works fine (without web server).

Not sure how to take this hurdle yet, when I use the Edimax wifi dongle there's no problem, but I want to use both as the Ralink can be used as an access point, which I need for my project.
by Coburn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:11 am
Raspberry Server: Web Edition preloaded SD Cards now in stock - 8GB "LowFat" flavor at this moment in time. Price reduced too.

Now, to answer questions:
Argon wrote:Is it not an idea to install also Ramlog on it? So that the SD card life is longer?

Logs are already mounted to a tmpfs and they are nuked on shutdown/reboot.
To verify this, do "mount" at a console. You'll see tmpfs mounted on /var/log and /var/run (I believe...)

poing wrote:
Boezelman wrote:With the first release I just downloaded Raspi-config and selected expand partition :D

OK, that works.

What doesn't work is having a Ralink RT5370 WiFi dongle attached to the Pi for then booting halts when the webserver is started. I have the same trouble with my regular install (Raspian with Apache) while the original Raspian works fine (without web server).

Not sure how to take this hurdle yet, when I use the Edimax wifi dongle there's no problem, but I want to use both as the Ralink can be used as an access point, which I need for my project.

As for the WiFi card issue, I don't know. Maybe it's causing a kernel panic? When it halts, can you SSH into it and check out dmesg/syslog? Or is it completely squished? Ralink chipsets according to my boss can be a real pain in the arse. His advice to me was to make sure you get a WiFi module that doesn't have that ralink setup. I have a DLink Nano-N WiFi adapter that has a Realtek chipset... no problems on my embedded ARM hardware. (Haven't tested it with the R-Pi but I might be able to)
by cypher1024 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:06 am
What's the difference in fat content between SD cards? Is it a reference to the size of the card?
by Coburn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:40 am
cypher1024 wrote:What's the difference in fat content between SD cards? Is it a reference to the size of the card?

Absolutely correct - it's a pun on the size of the SD Card. ;)