How to access files from my Raspberry Pi remotely?

8 posts
by demonicangelz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:52 am
Hi,

I'm a recent proud owner of a Raspberry Pi for 5 days now, and throughout these 5 days I've been trying to find a way to access files from my Raspberry Pi remotely from an external server.

The main problem is that the Raspberry Pi is now located in my dorm room and I would like access to the files while away from the computer. It is in a university campus and hence I don't have network admin access (cannot port forward, etc.).

Network setup is like this : Raspberry Pi -> dd-wrt Router as gateway -> University LAN connection

Accessing the Raspberry Pi through SSH / VNC / Samba from a device behind the router has no problems, but I cant access it externally, probably due to NAT from the Uni's server.

Does anyone have a good way for me to do this?

All help would be greatly appreciated.
by demonicangelz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:28 am
I know that I can easily use a dropbox service but what is the fun in that :geek:

I just want to be able to access my lecture notes / videos / etc when I'm away in the library / anywhere else (the library is on a separate network).
by redhawk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:37 am
If you know the IP address of your PI what happens when you try to ping / traceroute (tracert.exe) the address from your problem network??

As a guess it's possible network traffic is blocked or cut off because the PI is being a NAT connection.
You could always ask your friendly IT department and see if they could provide some kind of assistance.

Richard S.
by bredman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:48 am
If your network administrator has blocked external access, this will severely limit your options.

In essence, it means that the RPi cannot just sit there and passively wait for incoming connections. It must actively create outgoing connections.

The easiest way is to mirror the files to a cloud drive. You mentioned Dropbox so it seems that you are aware of this possibility.

Another way is to have no files at all on the RPi, they only exist in the cloud. You could use Google Docs for example, but I have never tried to use Google Docs in a browser on the RPi so the performance might be lousy.

The hardest way would be to establish a VPN Virtual Private Network. You would need to pay for a VPN server outside your college. The RPi would establish one VPN session to the server and another PC could join the session. You end up with a network which appear to just have the two computers connected directly to each other. This is not for the faint-hearted especially if your network admin is actively trying to block access from outside.
by ghans » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:58 pm
First , talk to the network admins. Perhaps bribe them with a Pi :D
You are not allowed to circumvent blocks (in my country there is a federal
law against that) , and sometimes they threaten to expel you.
Else use httptunnel . I *ahem* have had good success with it.
I believe you are already aware about DynDNS / portforwarding stuff.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by demonicangelz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:13 am
bredman wrote:If your network administrator has blocked external access, this will severely limit your options.

In essence, it means that the RPi cannot just sit there and passively wait for incoming connections. It must actively create outgoing connections.

The easiest way is to mirror the files to a cloud drive. You mentioned Dropbox so it seems that you are aware of this possibility.

Another way is to have no files at all on the RPi, they only exist in the cloud. You could use Google Docs for example, but I have never tried to use Google Docs in a browser on the RPi so the performance might be lousy.

The hardest way would be to establish a VPN Virtual Private Network. You would need to pay for a VPN server outside your college. The RPi would establish one VPN session to the server and another PC could join the session. You end up with a network which appear to just have the two computers connected directly to each other. This is not for the faint-hearted especially if your network admin is actively trying to block access from outside.

Could you elaborate on the last point? I have access to a mullvad VPN account which I use for other purposes.
by ghans » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:18 am
It should be as easy as letting the Pi and a remote PC join the same VPN.
Then you could set up any server you want. But i'm not sure if the VPN providers
used for surfing work somehow different.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by nicknml » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:23 am
You can get around the NAT issue via reverse ssh tunneling:

http://www.howtoforge.com/reverse-ssh-tunneling