Minecraft Server 512mb Model B

13 posts
by noscope900 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:37 pm
Hello

I am wondering how well you could run a minecraft server with the cpu clock at 1ghz and with the new set of ram at half a gig. Id imagine that it would be quite decent for a few people. If anyones tried it let me know, I dont have a Pi yet.
by ghans » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:59 pm
Search the forum a bit ...
Minecraft servers have been made to run on old 256 MB models already
Only third-party C ones of course , but they were reported as playable.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by noscope900 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:11 am
Yes. Ok. Ive read it was quite laggy, has anyone tried it though with the new 512mb of ram???
by ElectroPulse » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:28 pm
noscope900 wrote:Yes. Ok. Ive read it was quite laggy, has anyone tried it though with the new 512mb of ram???

Yes, I've read the same as well...

My question is this: Is the bottleneck for the 256mb RPi the RAM or the processor? You could pre-generate maps to reduce processor utilization (I've read the CPU is pegged whenever it generates new chunks), and if RAM is the bottleneck for 256mb RPi's, then perhaps the 512mb could handle it better?
by noscope900 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:20 pm
Yes I think ram was the bottleneck. Also you can turbo the Pi up to 1ghz so i really think that its a lot more usable now. I would only need it for up to 5 players, but i would only really probably use 2-3 at a time.
by noscope900 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:11 pm
I started a project so I can get a Pi and some peripherals and start a server on it. Im pretty confident it will work. Im also pledging that if i get funding I will give out a program, or .zip of what I used along with instructions. I feel since no one has tried with the revised model and overclock I'd like to give it a go!

Moderated to remove paypal URL
by ghans » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:17 am
Minecraft servers DO work on the pi. If you want money , i'd like to hear if you are going to use assembler-level optimizations or perhaps
offloading things to the GPU using OpenGLES hacks (has been done on the iPhone for proof-of-concept GPGPU ) for people who DO NOT want to overclock.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by billb » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:43 am
This same funding request was posted here, here, here, and of course right here. Aside from that, it is ridiculous and I wish it would go away. Can you imagine if everyone in the community was like this? :roll:
by mrtenchy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 am
Although this thread is about the 512 version; I though I'd add my tuppence re feasibility.
On the 256 MB Raspberry Pi I have got a vanilla Minecraft server up and running with the bare minimum - and a preloaded world.

The issues with it are it's too slow (CPU) and cannot read/write to the file system quick enough (SD Card).
The RAM upgrade may help but will not make a improved difference except when building chunks (which takes ages - so I recommend using a pre-created world).

The CPU has been turbo boosted to 1Ghz, but cannot keep up when a player is active. This is compounded by the slow read/write to the SD Card. This is why MC servers are typically hosted on SSD drives (fast and MC doesnt take up much space anyway!).

I am attempting a few back end tricks to get a 1-2 player server working... (shutting down all non-essentials and fiddling with the filesystem) but I would say that a lone Raspberry Pi cannot host a valid MC server.

* A punnet of Pi's however may be feasible to spread the CPU and RAM load - but IO ops are still going to be tricky
by mrtenchy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:12 pm
A quick update:
After searching around Mineserver seems to be a better option. I had issues with OpenSSL and CMake but after sorting that out it is much faster than the vanilla server, and "almost" usable....
https://mineserver.be/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
Dave
by jackjt8 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:02 pm
Haven't you tried the minecraft Classic server?
1) No chunks to generate
2) Small maps
3) No Entities (Mobs/Items)
In general, it isn't as demanding as a Newer Minecraft server.
It shouldn't be too hard to get to work either.
by sdd » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:54 am
what about 2 or more pi's in a bramble?
by ghans » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:31 pm
I believe there is no Minecraft server which scales over several nodes transparently.
I wouldn't even know on which operating system such a server would run.
It's no wonder why cluster computing is still a research topic.

ghans