BerryTerminal (Edubuntu/LTSP terminal)

104 posts   Page 2 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5
by Max » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:01 pm
mrlinux2u wrote:BTW, is it possible to set BerryTerminal to work in 16bit colour to save bandwidth?, I tried using the lts.conf file in LTSP

Do not support any lts.conf settings.

Reducing colors results in ugly graphics.
Think there are better ways to reduce bandwidth if you need to. E.g. use NX for compression.
by Nettekpi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:55 pm
Hi,
I have connected to the edubuntu server and I am receiving the screens correctly. But, how do I change the screen resolution? For my monitor (HDMI) I had to setup the config.txt file with the US, sound, DMT, and screen size. When I tried that with this image the screen never initialized. Any ideas what I am missing?
:(
Nettekpi
by Max » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:17 pm
Nettekpi wrote:I have connected to the edubuntu server and I am receiving the screens correctly. But, how do I change the screen resolution? For my monitor (HDMI) I had to setup the config.txt file with the US, sound, DMT, and screen size. When I tried that with this image the screen never initialized. Any ideas what I am missing?

Would expect it to work the same as with other images, as I think the config.txt part is handled by the closed source bootloader before the Linux kernel is started.
Have you copied the config.txt file from your working (Debian?) SD to your BerryTerminal SD, as opposed to typing in the parameters, to make sure they are exactly the same and there are no typos?

You don't get anything on the screen after setting config.txt, not even the splash screen? ( http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... ash_screen )
by holdup » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:24 am
Has anyone considered porting the thinstation distribution to raspberry pi?

That would be pretty cool, the thinstation guys have got ICA, VDI and RDP working I think and its a tiny distro.

am happy to help, have a pi, and quite willing to put time / resources into it as part of the berryterminal project.
by Max » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:26 pm
holdup wrote:Has anyone considered porting the thinstation distribution to raspberry pi?

That would be pretty cool, the thinstation guys have got ICA, VDI and RDP working I think and its a tiny distro.

Problem is that Thinstation relies on closed source components, and that comes with some practical and legal issues.

To my knowledge the Citrix's ICA and VDI components used are not open source, so can only be compiled for the rPi by Citrix.
Any bugs can only be fixed by them, and they would need to authorize distribution.
Be aware that while the components can be downloaded for free from their site, that doesn't automatically grant you the right to bundle them with your own stuff.

Other companies did open source their client libraries, so they would be a more logical choice for inclusion in a future version of BerryTerminal.
Think of VMware view open client, RedHat's SPICE project and NX.
by torsions » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:02 pm
There is such a programm as WinSwitch which uses different transfer protocols..
Here is nice comparison table of the protocols:
http://winswitch.org/documentation/prot ... hoose.html
by bindo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:31 pm
Hi,

we have an LTSP setup at work. Thin client boot from the ltsp server. Today I tried berryterminal and it has "seen" the ltsp server correctly.
Unfortunately there is an issue with login that fails.

I think the raspberry isn't using the correct protocol to authenticate, but I'm not finding the setup files.
where should I start from ?

thanks
by Max » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:04 pm
bindo wrote:we have an LTSP setup at work. Thin client boot from the ltsp server. Today I tried berryterminal and it has "seen" the ltsp server correctly.
Unfortunately there is an issue with login that fails.

I think the raspberry isn't using the correct protocol to authenticate, but I'm not finding the setup files.

Berryterminal uses SSH, which is the protocol for LTSP 5

Can you connect to the server IP with a normal SSH client (e.g. putty) using the same username and password you entered?

Do you have a non US keyboard?
by bindo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:33 pm
Ha ha Max,

I AM a newbie, but not that newbie

But thanks for reminding and confirming (brain f**s happen here :))

But NO. The server is accessible through ssh and I checked for password typoes due to the layout

Actually no ssh login attempts were visible in server logs.
So My doubt is maybe the LTSP server was configured not with the default ssh auth.
Where would I check that?

thanks
by Max » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:07 pm
bindo wrote:Actually no ssh login attempts were visible in server logs.

Then your logging may be wrong, or you have firewall rules preventing connection from the IP the Pi is using.

Berryterminal will attempt to SSH login to the server.
It is the only protocol it knows, plain and simple.
(Microsoft Windows rdesktop is not supported, neither XDMCP used by ancient LTSP versions)
by Max » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:45 pm
BTW what Linux distribution is used as LTSP server?

You do get the colorful LTSP login screen GUI, right? ( http://www.berryterminal.com/qemu-stuff.png )
(can also get a text login screen, which is meant as a recovery shell if something goes wrong instead)
by mrlinux2u » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:19 pm
@bindo

I found I had to add server=x.x.x.x to the kernel config file and then logins worked correctly.

Hope that helps

btw, using the latest berryterminal from 02/06/2012.

Cheers
by Max » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:39 am
mrlinux2u wrote:I found I had to add server=x.x.x.x to the kernel config file and then logins worked correctly.

When you don't hardcode server=x.x.x.x in your cmdline.txt what happens exactly?

Does it go to the colorful LTSP login screen, but doesn't accept your password?

Or does it stay in the grey on black text screen, and display an "Error retrieving LDM settings from 1.2.3.4. Not a LTSP server?" error message?
by mrlinux2u » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:30 am
@Max

Yes, it gets to the login screen but refuses to take the password.

Cheers

mrlinux
by shawe » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:37 am
Max wrote:BTW what Linux distribution is used as LTSP server?

You do get the colorful LTSP login screen GUI, right? ( http://www.berryterminal.com/qemu-stuff.png )
(can also get a text login screen, which is meant as a recovery shell if something goes wrong instead)

Can you share the command for boot BerryTerminal on qemu? I want to try your work but not with LTSP, I'm interested on trying it with TCOS http://www.tcosproject.org It's a very similar alternative to LTSP but more simple and graphically.
by Max » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:53 pm
shawe wrote:Can you share the command for boot BerryTerminal on qemu? I want to try your work but not with LTSP, I'm interested on trying it with TCOS http://www.tcosproject.org It's a very similar alternative to LTSP but more simple and graphically.

You will need to recompile the source, because I compiled later versions with the arm-bcm2708hardfp- compiler optimized for the rpi and qemu doesn't seem to understand some instructions it produces ("illegal instruction" errors when you start X).

1) get the source and extract it somewhere: http://www.berryterminal.com/dl/source/
2) in the folder type: make menuconfig, set the following options, and exit:

- go to "toolchain" -> "toolchain type" -> and change it from "custom" to "crosstool-ng toolchain"
- crosstool-ng library -> eglibc
- enable c++
- use software floating point by default

3) type: make
4) grab coffee while it compiles everything
5) compile or grab a linux kernel suitable for qemu from somewhere. E.g.: wget http://unicorn.drogon.net/rpi/zImage
6) qemu-system-arm -kernel zImage -m 256 -M versatilepb -cpu arm1176 -serial stdio -append "root=/dev/sda server=1.2.3.4" -hda output/images/rootfs.ext2 -clock dynticks
by shawe » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:32 pm
Max wrote:
shawe wrote:Can you share the command for boot BerryTerminal on qemu? I want to try your work but not with LTSP, I'm interested on trying it with TCOS http://www.tcosproject.org It's a very similar alternative to LTSP but more simple and graphically.

You will need to recompile the source, because I compiled later versions with the arm-bcm2708hardfp- compiler optimized for the rpi and qemu doesn't seem to understand some instructions it produces ("illegal instruction" errors when you start X).

1) get the source and extract it somewhere: http://www.berryterminal.com/dl/source/
2) in the folder type: make menuconfig, set the following options, and exit:

- go to "toolchain" -> "toolchain type" -> and change it from "custom" to "crosstool-ng toolchain"
- crosstool-ng library -> eglibc
- enable c++
- use software floating point by default

3) type: make
4) grab coffee while it compiles everything
5) compile or grab a linux kernel suitable for qemu from somewhere. E.g.: wget http://unicorn.drogon.net/rpi/zImage
6) qemu-system-arm -kernel zImage -m 256 -M versatilepb -cpu arm1176 -serial stdio -append "root=/dev/sda server=1.2.3.4" -hda output/images/rootfs.ext2 -clock dynticks

Thanks for the detailed procedure ;) It's working on make, when I've got something working with TCOS I must share here, but probably your work with BerryTerminal don't need any change.
by EnglishRob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:59 am
This sounds very interesting. I was involved with setting up an LTSP installation at a community centre in Exeter and at the moment the client machines are old P3 machines which are getting a little long in the tooth. If we can replace these long term with a few Pis that would take the power consumption down by a large amount :-)

This gives me something to try with my Pi, just need to get LTSP running again on Virtual Box :-)

Rob
by mrlinux2u » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:07 pm
Just come across something interesting while testing the berry terminal package and trying out abiword etc (ltsp servers running in virtualbox for now).

I've got one ltsp server running on ubuntu 10.04 and running abiword v 2.8.2 which works great as is very responsive (almost native speed). DE is gnome 2.8.x

Got another ltsp server running on xubuntu 12.04 and running abiword 2.9.2 and it exhibits the exact same problem (very sluggish at typing and refreshing the page) people have encountered running abiword on raspbian/wheezy (had the same issue myself). DE is lxde.

now I wouldn't have thought this problem would occur on a RPI running a LTSP session when the server is doing all the donkey work (firefox etc work find on both servers).

does anyone have clue why this is (is there that much difference between the 2 abiword versions, or did they break something in 2.9.2)?

cheers for now

paul
by Max » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:23 pm
mrlinux2u wrote:does anyone have clue why this is (is there that much difference between the 2 abiword versions, or did they break something in 2.9.2)?

Seems someone with a normal modern computer (amd64 architecture) has reported it as a bug in the Ubuntu tracker as well, which only occurs with certain window managers.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/988485 (Abiword is slow to update the document when typing)

Also note that according to Abiword.com 2.9.2 is not a stable release.

Our latest development release is version 2.9.2. Development releases are aimed at developers, or people willing to test unstable software. They should not be used in a production environment.
by mrlinux2u » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:30 pm
Max wrote:
mrlinux2u wrote:does anyone have clue why this is (is there that much difference between the 2 abiword versions, or did they break something in 2.9.2)?

Seems someone with a normal modern computer (amd64 architecture) has reported it as a bug in the Ubuntu tracker as well, which only occurs with certain window managers.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/988485 (Abiword is slow to update the document when typing)

Also note that according to Abiword.com 2.9.2 is not a stable release.

Our latest development release is version 2.9.2. Development releases are aimed at developers, or people willing to test unstable software. They should not be used in a production environment.

Sorry for the delay in replying,

fixed the problem by installing the stable version from the abiword website and removing the 2.9.2. version.

btw, do you have any plans to release another version of your excellent berryterminal system?

cheers

mrlinux2u
by Max » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:38 pm
mrlinux2u wrote:btw, do you have any plans to release another version of your excellent berryterminal system?

Only when either:

by mrlinux2u » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:31 pm
Max wrote:
mrlinux2u wrote:btw, do you have any plans to release another version of your excellent berryterminal system?

Only when either:

That's fine as berry terminal is more than a match for my dedicated thin client.

cheers

mrlinux2u
by micko » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:29 am
Hi Max

Thanks for this outstanding little image!

I already had edubuntu installed and LTSP configured but never even thought of trying to run the Pi from ltsp. I am amazed at the performance, which is mostly of course server side.
I can actually use libreoffice with ease. This makes using the Pi a pleasure.

Thanks again.

regards
by agex » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:17 am
Hi Max,

nice to see BerryTerminal, working with Edubuntu LTSP. I have a project (language labs), and I will try with this configuration.
Thanks for the image.

rgds