OpenELEC 4 Debian

77 posts   Page 3 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4
by Max » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:51 pm
masterluke wrote:Can this be updated to more recent openelecs? Any thoughts on how?

Compile OpenELEC on your normal computer.
Afterwards you will have a file with a name like OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120623213722-r1.system in the subdirectory /target
Transfer that file to your Pi and extract there.

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install squashfs-tools
sudo unsquashfs -d /opt/OpenELEC name-of-your-file.system

(the startup script is in /usr/bin and will not be overwritten.)

Instead of compiling yourself, you can probably also download a precompiled version somewhere. Just search for the system file, which will most likely reside on the FAT partition if you download a SD card image.
by masterluke » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:45 pm
Updated perfect - thanks. Used a SYSTEM file from here ..

http://sparky0815.de/openelec-download- ... fat-files/

This solves the crash on changing to analog audio
by david_Est » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:27 pm
I got a strange error dpkg: error processing openelec_0.1_armel.deb (--install):
package architecture (armel) does not match system (armhf)
Errors were encountered while processing:
openelec_0.1_armel.deb
by masterluke » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:34 am
david_Est wrote:I got a strange error dpkg: error processing openelec_0.1_armel.deb (--install):
openelec_0.1_armel.deb

I guess you are on raspbian? If so the correct syntax is..

sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture openelec_0.1_armel.deb
by mathewjenkinson » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:01 pm
Are you thinking of releasing a Debian HF edition now that a HF base image has been compiled?
Might speed up graphics etc.

Mathew
by Max » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:10 pm
mathewjenkinson wrote:Are you thinking of releasing a Debian HF edition now that a HF base image has been compiled?
Might speed up graphics etc.

Already is.

Don't be confused by the metadata and filename saying it is armel.
That's just a label I put there, so that it installs on the normal Wheezy.
Everything in /opt/OpenELEC is already hardfloat.
Because it runs completely independent in a chroot, and does not speak to the Debian libraries it can do this, no matter whether Debian uses the soft or hardfloat calling convention.
by wAlex » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:23 pm
Hi,
Anyone has random system freeze when using OpenELEC?
I've no problem running Debian, but when i'm using OpenELEC system freeze and i need to unplug power supply. This occurs at any time, even while navigating through menus.
Any ideas to fix this?
Thanks
by Max » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:49 pm
wAlex wrote:Anyone has random system freeze when using OpenELEC?
I've no problem running Debian, but when i'm using OpenELEC system freeze and i need to unplug power supply. This occurs at any time, even while navigating through menus.
Any ideas to fix this?

Do other CPU intensive applications (e.g. OpenArena) run stable?
by wAlex » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:38 pm
Max wrote:Do other CPU intensive applications (e.g. OpenArena) run stable?

Yes OpenaArena run stable, i've only a problem with the player customization (i have a black screen) but in 30 minutes it never crash.
by wAlex » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:12 am
wAlex wrote:
Max wrote:Do other CPU intensive applications (e.g. OpenArena) run stable?

Yes OpenaArena run stable, i've only a problem with the player customization (i have a black screen) but in 30 minutes it never crash.

After OpenArena installation no more crash in my OpenElec.... why? I really don't know, but it seems to work. Now my problem is the restart of xbmc gui when i try to stream my Dreambox with tuxbox metod.
I think i need to update xbmc. I'll try this now.
by wAlex » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:17 pm
masterluke wrote:Updated perfect - thanks. Used a SYSTEM file from here ..

http://sparky0815.de/openelec-download- ... fat-files/

This solves the crash on changing to analog audio

How do you update? I download the image, unsquashfs the file System and replace files, but i only had a black screen.
by masterluke » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:38 pm
I did a...

sudo rm -rf /opt/OpenELEC

..to properly remove the installed version, then unsquashed. Worked first time.
by mathewjenkinson » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:02 am
Already is.

Don't be confused by the metadata and filename saying it is armel.
That's just a label I put there, so that it installs on the normal Wheezy.
Everything in /opt/OpenELEC is already hardfloat.
Because it runs completely independent in a chroot, and does not speak to the Debian libraries it can do this, no matter whether Debian uses the soft or hardfloat calling convention.

[/quote]

There must be a flag somewhere, I cant get OpenElec to load:

root@raspberry-pi:~# dpkg -i openelec_0.1_armel.deb
dpkg: error processing openelec_0.1_armel.deb (--install):
 openelec_0.1_armel.deb
by Max » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:17 am
mathewjenkinson wrote:There must be a flag somewhere

Yes, it says armel in the metadata
"--force-architecture" is your friend.

(I should update the package some time to say it can be installed on both armel and armhf Debian flavors, but waiting a while for a stable OpenELEC release first, before bringing out a new package.).
by Beanz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:11 pm
Sorry guys i've only scanned thru this post but just wanted to ask if it should work the same in Debian Squeeze as it does in Wheezy ? I noticed that Wheezy was in Bold in the OP so wasn't sure if that pointed to that being the only Debian release it would be good for.

Thanks.
by Max » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:15 pm
Beanz wrote:Sorry guys i've only scanned thru this post but just wanted to ask if it should work the same in Debian Squeeze as it does in Wheezy ? I noticed that Wheezy was in Bold in the OP so wasn't sure if that pointed to that being the only Debian release it would be good for.

Firmware that comes with Squeeze is too old.
Should work if you update it manually though.
by Beanz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:18 pm
Max wrote:
Beanz wrote:Sorry guys i've only scanned thru this post but just wanted to ask if it should work the same in Debian Squeeze as it does in Wheezy ? I noticed that Wheezy was in Bold in the OP so wasn't sure if that pointed to that being the only Debian release it would be good for.

Firmware that comes with Squeeze is too old.
Should work if you update it manually though.

Ok thanks, updated yesterday. Gonna give it a try anyway and see how it goes, need to change the memory split aswell as mines 192.

Thanks

Got it up and running in no time, Love it.
Can't access my PC from it as it keeps asking for username and password where i have none setup and password protection is turned off in Network and Sharing, suppose it wants me to add them ? Not gonna mess now as i have a new router coming in next 2 days so that could affect things to.
Added YouTube though and even tho navigating it is a little slower than on a full pc the videos run beautifully on my 37" Sony TV :).
Gonna plug a memory stick in now and see what file types it handles.

Thanks again.
by exwaver » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:45 pm
Hi,
Was the problem of the blank screen ever resolved as this is what I am getting. I have redone it serveral times to ensure that I have typed in the correct command but to no avail.

I am using a LG 22" PC monitor with the DVI/HDMI connector and everything else works fine.???
by exwaver » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:35 am
I also need to get my WiFi working in openelec. Also, i fixed my problem of the blank screen, it was a memory problem. As soon as I increased the partition with gparted and reinstalled openelec it worked fine. Thanks Max
by exwaver » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:40 am
Max wrote:For people short on SD cards, I created an OpenELEC Debian package for Debian Wheezy.

To install under Debian Wheezy:

wget http://www.berryterminal.com/dl/openelec_0.1_armel.deb
sudo dpkg -i openelec_0.1_armel.deb
sudo cp /boot/arm128_start.elf /boot/start.elf
sudo reboot

To start:
sudo OpenELEC

(Will simply shutdown running Debian services, and launch OpenELEC in a chroot under /opt/OpenELEC)

Advantages over having OpenELEC on a seperate SD card:

• saves you an extra SD card.
  • easier to download stuff under Debian and play on OpenELEC later.

Disadvantages:

• Requires the 128 MB RAM split. (less memory available to the main system, more to the GPU)

If you want to use CEC (the ability to control the media player with your normal TV remote), make sure you enabled the following setting: "System" -> "Settings" -> "Services" -> "Webserver" -> "Allow control of XMBC via HTTP"

Hi, tried to run this on the new raspbian but got errors (I am a newbie). something like armel does not match armhf ??

I assume that this is not compatible with Raspbian. Is there a version that is.

Thank you for your help...
by ITz Life NL » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:04 am
i dont get what i have to do and do you download something or do you just need type that in at boot
by Max » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:07 pm
mathewjenkinson wrote:2) is there a way I can write a script so that on boot it waits 10 seconds for a keystroke otherwise loads straight into OpenElec?

Released a new version of Berryboot that supports OpenELEC and boot menu timeouts: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=12776
by exwaver » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:20 am
I am on the verge on giving up with this. First I installed wheezy and got openelec running, but could not get it to see my wifi adaptor, although it worked under wheezy. I then upgraded to Raspbian and could not get openelec to work. I was advised to add the '--force-architecture' command, which I have just done and now openelec starts but then locks up after 1-10 seconds, the screen freezes and I have to perfrom a cold boot to get back to the $ prompt. Anyone had the same problem and found a fix for it. Or is there a better solution (for newbies) to get openelec or XBMC working on the pi with Raspbian.??
by charlie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:46 am
Hi, i tried doing this on Raspbian. It did the first line okay, but when I typed in the second line it said it had trouble processing the file. I then tried the 3rd line, just to see if that would help, but nothing happened.
I'm a newbie to this sort of thing.
by BPTMatthew » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:59 pm
Thank you so much, this works great even on squeeze!
Solved my music player problem too!