fbzx Spectrum emulator

1 post
by tawalker » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:53 pm
Has anyone managed to run the fbzx Spectrum emulator on the Pi from the console, without problems?

I'm running Arch on my Pi, so I built the fbzx package from the AUR. This seemed to go through without problems; however, when I run fbzx from the framebuffer/console (i.e. not under X11), the screen goes blank and nothing appears to happen. If I then log in via SSH from another machine and run "top", fbzx is not only still running, but is taking quite a lot of CPU resources (can't remember the exact figure, but it was well into double figures).

If I start X and execute fbzx from a terminal, the program launches its own window, but even when I specify a program file on the command line, the program ignores it and simply goes straight to the old Spectrum "landing screen" ("(c) 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd").

I'd like to get fbzx running on the framebuffer, as Fuse (whilst it runs well) runs in a postage-stamp-size window (and won't resize, AFAIK), and sound doesn't work (though there are no sound issues with the rest of the system).

If anyone has managed to run fbzx successfully on the Pi, I'd be most grateful for any tips. Many thanks! :)
---
Raspberry Pi Model B ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux/ARM (hard float)
Visit Eee 701 Planetoid (http://eee701planetoid.wordpress.com/) for continuing adventures with an Eee 701SD and Raspberry Pi...
---