OpenELEC Testbuilds


766 posts   Page 16 of 31   1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 31
by milhouse » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:46 pm
gdekoning wrote:Loving OpenElec on the RPi!

Just wanted to note that .mp4 files do not play for me on the latest test build (OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120623232506-r11392) whereas they do work on Raspbmc. When I try to load one it just keeps loading, but nothing happens and I eventually have to turn my Pi on and off.

I am trying to play the files over a NFS connection.

edit:

Just updated to OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120628211407-r11437 and still no luck :/

Anyone else have the same problem?


No obvious problems with mp4 media, but NFS is pretty flaky in OpenELEC - has been since XBMC updated to a new version of libnfs - and I'm lucky if NFS works one boot out of three.
Posts: 555
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm
by gdekoning » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:37 pm
milhouse wrote:No obvious problems with mp4 media, but NFS is pretty flaky in OpenELEC - has been since XBMC updated to a new version of libnfs - and I'm lucky if NFS works one boot out of three.

That sucks :/ I could not even connect with NFS under Raspbmc, but tried to do the following (as posted on the forums at Raspbmc link and it seems you tried this yourself on Raspbmc! as I see your username in the thread - unless its a different milhouse :) ) and then NFS worked for me under Raspbmc. You think the same might work for you with OpenElec?

Code: Select all
sudo su
cd /tmp
wget http://db.tt/uREQJ9vu -O libnfs.so.1.0.3
rm /usr/lib/libnfs*
mv libnfs.so.1.0.3 /usr/lib
cd /usr/lib
ln -sf libnfs.so.1.0.3 libnfs.so.0
ln -sf libnfs.so.1.0.3 libnfs.so.1
ln -sf libnfs.so.1 libnfs.so
sync
reboot
Last edited by gdekoning on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:33 am
by milhouse » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:43 pm
gdekoning wrote:unless its a different milhouse :)


Same. :)

gdekoning wrote:You think the same might work for you with OpenElec?


The problem with OpenELEC is that replacing system components is not as easy as it is in Raspbmc, so no I don't think it will work - you'll need an OpenELEC image that is built with the updated libnfs library.
Posts: 555
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm
by gdekoning » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:43 pm
humla wrote:Since the introduction of alsa in r11392, video playback has been hampered, it should be fixed soon, but reverting to r11315 should give smooth playback(although no menu sounds).

Thanks! I will give it a go
Last edited by gdekoning on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:33 am
by gdekoning » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:49 pm
milhouse wrote:The problem with OpenELEC is that replacing system components is not as easy as it is in Raspbmc, so no I don't think it will work - you'll need an OpenELEC image that is built with the updated libnfs library.

Ah I see, thats a shame :/ Out of curiosity; what are you using now as a streaming protocol? I am currently running Windows Vista and using "haneWIN NFS Server" to stream video to my Pi but was wondering if there are any better protocols that can be used under Windows Vista.
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:33 am
by dom » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:54 pm
gdekoning wrote:Ah I see, thats a shame :/ Out of curiosity; what are you using now as a streaming protocol? I am currently running Windows Vista and using "haneWIN NFS Server" to stream video to my Pi but was wondering if there are any better protocols that can be used under Windows Vista.


I use haneWIN NFS server on Windows 7, and I'm not aware of anything better for Windows.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 4042
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge
by milhouse » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:54 pm
gdekoning wrote:Ah I see, thats a shame :/ Out of curiosity; what are you using now as a streaming protocol? I am currently running Windows Vista and using "haneWIN NFS Server" to stream video to my Pi but was wondering if there are any better protocols that can be used under Windows Vista.


I still use NFS exported from a FreeNAS 8.0.2 NAS, for both Raspbmc and OpenELEC. Even though NFS is flaky in OpenELEC I'm confident it will get fixed eventually (though sooner than later would be nice! :))

NFS is certainly better (less overhead) than CIFS/SMB (the default Windows sharing protocol), it's possible that FTP might be more efficient still than NFS - never tried it myself though.
Posts: 555
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm
by gdekoning » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:00 pm
milhouse wrote:NFS is certainly better (less overhead) than CIFS/SMB (the default Windows sharing protocol), it's possible that FTP might be more efficient still than NFS - never tried it myself though.

I tried using FTP as a streaming protocol but this was a nightmare for me, but it might work for others. I am getting far better results with NFS.
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:33 am
by komple » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:08 am
How to setup wireless on tthis build?
I have dwa-121 dlink adapter which is rtl8192cu chipset. It works under normal debian build.
Is it possible to set it up under OpenELEC_


Thanks,
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:03 pm
by Lightning303 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:36 pm
komple wrote:How to setup wireless on tthis build?
I have dwa-121 dlink adapter which is rtl8192cu chipset. It works under normal debian build.
Is it possible to set it up under OpenELEC_


Thanks,


currently openelec does not support this chipset :(, i am waiting too. there is however an open issue on github for this, so i guess in the future they will add the drivers. https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/601
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 7:41 pm
by humla » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:54 pm
gdekoning wrote:
milhouse wrote:NFS is certainly better (less overhead) than CIFS/SMB (the default Windows sharing protocol), it's possible that FTP might be more efficient still than NFS - never tried it myself though.

I tried using FTP as a streaming protocol but this was a nightmare for me, but it might work for others. I am getting far better results with NFS.

been using FTP from the start and its completely reliable and hasnt given any problem.
good thing with ftp is that it is ancient and basic and that makes it efficient and doesnt get compatibility issues.
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 9:02 pm
by komple » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:48 am
Lightning303 wrote:
komple wrote:How to setup wireless on tthis build?
I have dwa-121 dlink adapter which is rtl8192cu chipset. It works under normal debian build.
Is it possible to set it up under OpenELEC_


Thanks,


currently openelec does not support this chipset :(, i am waiting too. there is however an open issue on github for this, so i guess in the future they will add the drivers. https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/601


:(
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:03 pm
by arthritis » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:07 am
sraue wrote:Hi,

Another short update (r11392):
Thanks for these easy to read changelogs as there's many of us nubs out here.

Not sure if it's a fixable issue but I've had problems with very old Divx files with a codec id of Div3Low giving a black screen with sound. A lost cause?
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:04 am
by Vermillion » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:40 am
openelec is working well for me but during video playback I have black bars top and bottom of the screen. I have tried
!: Video calibration
2: resolution changes
3: config.txt ( disable_overscan=1 and also top and bottom overscan changes and hdmi changes)
4:Driver settings.
5: Different hdmi TV's (one 1080 and the other 720)
6:Also tried rapbmc
But nothing seems to work anyone have any ideas.
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:30 am
by welshblob » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:36 am
Vermillion wrote:openelec is working well for me but during video playback I have black bars top and bottom of the screen. I have tried
!: Video calibration
2: resolution changes
3: config.txt ( disable_overscan=1 and also top and bottom overscan changes and hdmi changes)
4:Driver settings.
5: Different hdmi TV's (one 1080 and the other 720)
6:Also tried rapbmc
But nothing seems to work anyone have any ideas.


So what do you mean by black bars, the video is squashed between BB, the video is cropped by the BB? The only time I had an issue like this was when the video calibration was broken for the menu and on reboot I'd have a black border overlay all the way around the screen so the video would be cropped. This was fixed with the latest patches to xbmc from gimli which openelec now includes.

Rob
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:31 am
by Vermillion » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:11 pm
welshblob wrote:
Vermillion wrote:openelec is working well for me but during video playback I have black bars top and bottom of the screen. I have tried
!: Video calibration
2: resolution changes
3: config.txt ( disable_overscan=1 and also top and bottom overscan changes and hdmi changes)
4:Driver settings.
5: Different hdmi TV's (one 1080 and the other 720)
6:Also tried rapbmc
But nothing seems to work anyone have any ideas.


So what do you mean by black bars, the video is squashed between BB, the video is cropped by the BB? The only time I had an issue like this was when the video calibration was broken for the menu and on reboot I'd have a black border overlay all the way around the screen so the video would be cropped. This was fixed with the latest patches to xbmc from gimli which openelec now includes.

Rob

squashed between BB. and all the builds I have tried produce the same results. I am presently on a build from yesterday.
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:30 am
by keenan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:03 pm
I think he's refering to the forced letterboxing on these builds! No matter what "View Mode" you sellect in video options the video olways remains letterboxed!

In my PC running Eden, when you change the view mode to 16:9 it stretches the picture to fullscreen, but on these Pi builds it doesnt..
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:59 pm
by Daz555 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:19 pm
I have yet to find a Pi build of OpenELEC which is able to stretch 4:3 content so that it fills a 16:9 screen. This is a very common feature in other media setups. OpenELEC on Pi seems to have an option for it but it does nothing at all.
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:53 pm
by Milo81 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:26 pm
Lightning303 wrote:
komple wrote:How to setup wireless on tthis build?
I have dwa-121 dlink adapter which is rtl8192cu chipset. It works under normal debian build.
Is it possible to set it up under OpenELEC_


Thanks,


currently openelec does not support this chipset :(, i am waiting too. there is however an open issue on github for this, so i guess in the future they will add the drivers. https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/601


I managed to get 8192cu working.
I have Edimax EW-7811Un which is also using 8192cu driver.

Here's how I did it:
  • Build openELEC
  • Download driver from http://nathan.chantrell.net/downloads/raspberry_pi/rtl8192_8188CU_linux_v3.0.2164.20110715.tar.gz (googled somewhere)
  • Cross compile the driver using toolchain from openELEC, using this script:
    Code: Select all
    PATH=/path_to_openELEC/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin:$PATH
    CFLAGS += -march=armv6zk -mcpu=arm1176jzf-s -mabi=aapcs-linux -Wno-psabi -Wa,-mno-warn-deprecated -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfp -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -O3 -fexcess-precision=fast -ffast-math  -I/path_to_openELEC/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/sysroot/usr/include/libnl3/
    make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi- -C /path_to_openELEC/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/linux-3.2.21 M=/path_to_unpacked_driver/rtl8192_8188CU_linux_v3.0.2164.20110715 modules

    Don't forget to replace path_to with correct paths.
  • Now we need to blacklist the original rtl8192 driver, upload our freshly built one, and run depmod -a. Unfortunately the root filesystem is squashfs (read-only), so it's needed to unsqash it, modify and repack it again.
    Code: Select all
    # mount the squashfs (SYSTEM file)
    mkdir /tmp/squashy
    sudo mount -o loop SYSTEM /tmp/squashy
    # copy the whole filesystem to new location
    mkdir /tmp/newsquashy
    sudo -i
    find /tmp/squashy -xdev -print0 | cpio -pd0V /tmp/newsquashy
    # remove the old drivers
    rm -rf /tmp/nwesquashy/lib/modules/3.2.21/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/
    # copy our module
    cp /path_to_unpacked_driver/rtl8192_8188CU_linux_v3.0.2164.20110715/8192cu.ko /tmp/newsquashy/lib/modules/3.2.21/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    # run openELEC's toolchain depmod
    /path_to_openELEC/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin/depmod -b /tmp/newsquashy/ 3.2.21
    # build the new squashfs image
    mksquashfs /tmp/newsquashy/ SYSTEM
  • Copy the SYSTEM file to the sdcard.
I don't know why, but WPA is not working - I'm getting disconnected right after the authentication, so for now I'm using only WEP. I've tried this on debian as well, with same results.
I suspect there will be some incopatibility problem between wpa_supplicant and the driver because i see some ioctl operation not permitted errors...
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:41 pm
by Terranigma » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:28 pm
sparky0815 wrote:r11452 files available

http://sparky0815.de

:geek:


Would it be possible to decrease te size of the 2gb image?
Doesn't want to write to a 2gb toshiba sd card cuz it comes a few bytes short.
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:26 pm
by cpswan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:54 pm
Terranigma wrote:Would it be possible to decrease te size of the 2gb image?
Doesn't want to write to a 2gb toshiba sd card cuz it comes a few bytes short.


If images are made from actual SD cards then this can too easily happen (unless you happen to have a card that's at the small end of the stated size). That's why I make images onto a small virtual hard disk, and modify the create script to leave a few spare blocks at the end. My build bot spits out images and release bundles here (latest is r11468 - it's been brought to my attention that the zip files don't open properly using Windows, so use 7zip or similar or wait for the next drop, which should fix it).
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 9:52 am
by Vermillion » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:14 pm
keenan wrote:I think he's refering to the forced letterboxing on these builds! No matter what "View Mode" you sellect in video options the video olways remains letterboxed!

In my PC running Eden, when you change the view mode to 16:9 it stretches the picture to fullscreen, but on these Pi builds it doesnt..

Thanks for clearing that up, So at least I know there is nothing more I can do to achieve full screen.
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:30 am
by keenan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:13 pm
It must have something to do with a forced aspect ratio! Some videos, like downloaded series episodes do actualy fill the screen, but if something is encoded using a wider or narrower AR for that matter it simply does'nt alter it. That's why all 4:3 AR videos stay the same aswell...
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:59 pm
by sparky0815 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:43 pm
build r11487:
you can download unofficial sdcard images (2GB and 4GB) on

http://sparky0815.de/openelec-download-images-fat-files/

have fun ;)

greetings
Twitter: @Sparky0815
Facebook Gruppe (RaspberryPi - Deutschland): http://on.fb.me/PnYE99
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Germany
by sporocyst » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:16 am
Trying out r11493.

Anyone else having issues with only 3-5 fan art images loading then the rest refusing to load? Once they stop loading, leaving the TV Shows menu causes XBMC to hang and I have to kill it from ssh. I am getting a lot of this in my xbmc.log.

Code: Select all
19:30:31 T:1189065824 WARNING: COMXImage::Decode progressive images not support
com.image_decode - OMX_EventError detected, nData1(0x80001005), port 0
20:00:39 T:1230255200   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.ima
ge_decode wait event 0x00000003 timeout 300
20:00:39 T:1157174368   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::DecoderEventHandler OMX.broad
com.image_decode - OMX_ErrorStreamCorrupt, Bitstream corrupt
20:00:40 T:1230255200   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::GetInputBuffer OMX.broadcom.i
mage_decode wait event timeout
20:01:16 T:1103310848 WARNING: GetIcon - Unknown nodetype requested videodb://2
/2/3/1/
20:01:16 T:1103310848 WARNING: GetIcon - Unknown nodetype requested videodb://2
/2/3/2/
20:01:16 T:1103310848 WARNING: GetIcon - Unknown nodetype requested videodb://2
/2/3/3/
20:01:16 T:1103310848 WARNING: GetIcon - Unknown nodetype requested videodb://2
/2/3/4/
20:01:16 T:1103310848 WARNING: GetIcon - Unknown nodetype requested videodb://2
/2/3/5/
20:01:16 T:1103310848 WARNING: GetIcon - Unknown nodetype requested videodb://2
/2/3/-1/
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:16 am