OpenELEC Testbuilds

766 posts   Page 17 of 31   1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 31
by milhouse » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:51 am
sporocyst wrote:Anyone else having issues with only 3-5 fan art images loading then the rest refusing to load? Once they stop loading, leaving the TV Shows menu causes XBMC to hang and I have to kill it from ssh. I am getting a lot of this in my xbmc.log.

Yes, I've mentioned it a few times.
by arqcan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:50 pm
yeah me too, im having the same issue on all the new builds
by Byro » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:41 pm
Works fine for me on r11504 (just compiled it earlier today).

But I am still having other problems... Namely with video addons, tried G4TV, Youtube, Engadget, all of them stutter a lot and are completely unwatchable...

Also my h.264 movies still stutter quite a bit. Using a Kingston 8GB Class 4 SD card. It can play for 10 mins just perfectly but then it has a session of 1 second playback hiccups. What is interesting is that it does not relate to intensive scenes, since it occurs even at the dullest ones.

My question: Is there any way to make the interface more Lo-Fi? I got the impression the GUI is too intensive with overlays and graphics...
by Stark007 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:43 pm
Byro wrote:My question: Is there any way to make the interface more Lo-Fi? I got the impression the GUI is too intensive with overlays and graphics...

Skin choice does make a difference have a try , tried some of the simpler skins, but went back to Confluence. Would be very nice to have an simple Rpi themed skin though :D
by fodi » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:31 pm
Hey,
I'm pretty new to Linux, and I need some help: I have an LCD screen that would connect on I2C port to the Pi. I saw that bootc's kernel supports I2C, however I can't use that kernel for OpenELEC (the Pi just hangs at the rainbow logo).
How can I compile a kernel for OpenELEC that has the I2C module? Or can I install this seperately (like a wifi driver)? If so, what do I have to do?
Thanks
by humla » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:21 pm
Byro wrote:Works fine for me on r11504 (just compiled it earlier today).
But I am still having other problems... Namely with video addons, tried G4TV, Youtube, Engadget, all of them stutter a lot and are completely unwatchable...

You can try to play the videos and post the log here and we can have a look.

Byro wrote:My question: Is there any way to make the interface more Lo-Fi? I got the impression the GUI is too intensive with overlays and graphics...

If you want you can overclock the Pi. It gets quite snappy with a small over-clock and wont do much harm. Overvolting however will void your warranty.
by Logdog » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:43 pm
I am a complete neophyte to linux, openelec etc.
Bought a rpi to tinker with mostly for Airplay, got my PCH for movies/tvshows.

I have had similar issues as others with audio and video through HDMI working fine together but audio separately does not work.

Using build r11170 (because I found step by step instructions on how to install it lol)

Can anyone point me in the direction of what build is best/most stable for airplay (audio + audio/video)?

Thanks!
by Daz555 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:31 pm
Logdog wrote:Can anyone point me in the direction of what build is best/most stable for airplay (audio + audio/video)?

Thanks!

http://openelec.thestateofme.com/

Great link here with up to date builds as well as older versions. Also has SD card image files further down the page. Use something like Win32 Disk Imager to write the img files to your SD card.
by b0x » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:40 pm
anyone else lost audio in the last few versions?

at 11528 currently and still nothing. going to go back a few until i find one that works again.

ok appears to be some sort of confusion on the new receiver and the pi as it is decoding the audio just wasn't getting anything out of the speakers. very odd. turned a few of the hdmi settings on and off and it seems to work now.
by Nodge » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:47 pm
milhouse wrote:
sporocyst wrote:Anyone else having issues with only 3-5 fan art images loading then the rest refusing to load? Once they stop loading, leaving the TV Shows menu causes XBMC to hang and I have to kill it from ssh. I am getting a lot of this in my xbmc.log.

Yes, same here. This problem seems to have started after the fix that supposedly solved the fan art problem. I think it was something to do with the orientation? I did post a log file a way back. Prior to the "fix", the tv banners were being corrupted after the initial showing but there were no lockups as there are now.

John
by milhouse » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:11 am
Nodge wrote:
milhouse wrote:

Yes, same here. This problem seems to have started after the fix that supposedly solved the fan art problem. I think it was something to do with the orientation? I did post a log file a way back. Prior to the "fix", the tv banners were being corrupted after the initial showing but there were no lockups as there are now.

John

I've had the problem of images refusing to load since the earliest builds, and I haven't noticed any negative effects due to the orientation fix.

The images refusing to load seems to be due to an OMX resource leak of some kind - images load OK to begin with, then after browsing through coverart for a short while images begin to fail to load (just black rectangles in place of coverart, sometimes no fanart also), then all images (even including GUI assets) fail to load and ultimately the system will hang. This is how it's always been, at least for me, and would be the #1 problem needing a fix on my list as the system as it stands right now is unusable for anything more than a few minutes of media browsing.
by onetootreefor » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:47 am
i just wanted to note that setting a custom background in confluence locks up raspi, and must turn off custom background before it will function properly again.

everything in these latest builds have been great!!! menus are fast as crap, menu sounds work flawless, and video playback is as great as ever. Aeon Nox is ALMOST useable too! thank you for all the work!
by goujam » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:52 am
I finally got around to testing openelec last night and all went well movie playback was smooth in most cases some AVI's took time to settle.

One thing I noticed is that when I played a film with truehd audio my av reciever didnt pick it up and applied prologic to the audio.

Has anyone got films with truehd working ? it could be the rip thats not right, does anyone know where I can get a sample mkv with truehd to try on the pi?

thanks

James
by Josh.43 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:52 pm
Is anyone else having issues with NTSC through the rca connector?
I just updated from r11493 to r11531, rebooted, and had a scrambled signal immediately after the Openelec logo.

Went back to r11528, r11524, r11520. All exhibiting the same issue.

Will continue more testing (including going back to 11493, then finding the number that breaks it), but would love some extra input.
by MyopicWombat » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:24 pm
Milo81 wrote:
I managed to get 8192cu working.
I have Edimax EW-7811Un which is also using 8192cu driver.

Here's how I did it:
  • Build openELEC
  • Download driver from http://nathan.chantrell.net/downloads/raspberry_pi/rtl8192_8188CU_linux_v3.0.2164.20110715.tar.gz (googled somewhere)
  • Cross compile the driver using toolchain from openELEC, using this script:
    Code: Select all
    PATH=/path_to_openELEC/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin:$PATH
    CFLAGS += -march=armv6zk -mcpu=arm1176jzf-s -mabi=aapcs-linux -Wno-psabi -Wa,-mno-warn-deprecated -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfp -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -O3 -fexcess-precision=fast -ffast-math  -I/path_to_openELEC/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/sysroot/usr/include/libnl3/
    make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi- -C /path_to_openELEC/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/linux-3.2.21 M=/path_to_unpacked_driver/rtl8192_8188CU_linux_v3.0.2164.20110715 modules

Don't forget to replace path_to with correct paths.
  • Now we need to blacklist the original rtl8192 driver, upload our freshly built one, and run depmod -a. Unfortunately the root filesystem is squashfs (read-only), so it's needed to unsqash it, modify and repack it again.
    # mount the squashfs (SYSTEM file)
    mkdir /tmp/squashy
    sudo mount -o loop SYSTEM /tmp/squashy
    # copy the whole filesystem to new location
    mkdir /tmp/newsquashy
    sudo -i
    find /tmp/squashy -xdev -print0 | cpio -pd0V /tmp/newsquashy
    # remove the old drivers
    rm -rf /tmp/nwesquashy/lib/modules/3.2.21/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/
    # copy our module
    cp /path_to_unpacked_driver/rtl8192_8188CU_linux_v3.0.2164.20110715/8192cu.ko /tmp/newsquashy/lib/modules/3.2.21/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    # run openELEC's toolchain depmod
    /path_to_openELEC/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin/depmod -b /tmp/newsquashy/ 3.2.21
    # build the new squashfs image
    mksquashfs /tmp/newsquashy/ SYSTEM
  • Copy the SYSTEM file to the sdcard.
I don't know why, but WPA is not working - I'm getting disconnected right after the authentication, so for now I'm using only WEP. I've tried this on debian as well, with same results.
I suspect there will be some incopatibility problem between wpa_supplicant and the driver because i see some ioctl operation not permitted errors...

I'm rather new to working with linux so this may be a simple problem but I'm having problems with the script to compile the driver from the source. When I run the script it returns the error "CFLAGS: command not found". Any clues as to what mistake I'm making?

Thanks.

PATH=/home/user/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin:$PATH
CFLAGS += -march=armv6zk -mcpu=arm1176jzf-s -mabi=aapcs-linux -Wno-psabi -Wa,-mno-warn-deprecated -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfp -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -O3 -fexcess-precision=fast -ffast-math  -I/path_to_openELEC/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/sysroot/usr/include/libnl3/
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi- -C /home/user/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/linux-3.2.22 M=/home/user/Downloads/rtl8188C_8192C_8192D_usb_linux_v3.4.2_3727.20120404 modules -I/home/jeremy/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/sysroot/usr/include/libnl3/
by Logdog » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:59 am
Daz555 wrote:
Logdog wrote:Can anyone point me in the direction of what build is best/most stable for airplay (audio + audio/video)?

Thanks!

Great link here with up to date builds as well as older versions. Also has SD card image files further down the page. Use something like Win32 Disk Imager to write the img files to your SD card.

Thanks, helpful link!

updated to r11485, still have the same issue with Airplay, cannot stream mp3s.

Airplay videos work, streaming mp3s from other shared folders works, menu sounds etc.

However, I cannot even find the Airplay options in the menu where I did before in r11170?

Anyone got any tips for a noob?
by keenan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:58 am
Logdog wrote:
Daz555 wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks, helpful link!

updated to r11485, still have the same issue with Airplay, cannot stream mp3s.

Airplay videos work, streaming mp3s from other shared folders works, menu sounds etc.

However, I cannot even find the Airplay options in the menu where I did before in r11170?

Anyone got any tips for a noob?

Go to settings/services/airplay :D

Anyone know how easy/hard it would be to use a 5.1 external sound card with openelec?
by GaePi » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:56 pm
Josh.43 wrote:Is anyone else having issues with NTSC through the rca connector?
I just updated from r11493 to r11531, rebooted, and had a scrambled signal immediately after the Openelec logo.

Went back to r11528, r11524, r11520. All exhibiting the same issue.

Will continue more testing (including going back to 11493, then finding the number that breaks it), but would love some extra input.

Hi
I've the same issue when using rca connector, it happens after upgrading to r11535
go back to r11506 and it works again

I usually connect the rpi to a crt tv
by dom » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:58 pm
GaePi wrote:I've the same issue when using rca connector, it happens after upgrading to r11535
go back to r11506 and it works again

I'm interested if this is an OpenELEC issue, or firmware issue.
If you start with r11506 build which works, and copy the start.elf from r11535 does it continue to work, or break?
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Josh.43 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:16 pm
dom;

Gathering more in depth info now, but I've been testing along the same lines.
<=r11514 = works
>=r11520 = broken (tested as far as r11535)
This is without changing the firmware files (which I likely updated right from raspberry's github when the issue started, but I'm not sure)

Further, r11514 using the bootcode.bin, loader.bin, and start.elf included in r11535 also works.

For the sake of credit and completeness, I'm using http://openelec.thestateofme.com/ as the source for all OpenELEC files.
by dom » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:17 pm
Josh.43 wrote:Further, r11514 using the bootcode.bin, loader.bin, and start.elf included in r11535 also works.

Okay, so it wasn't me that broke it. Guess it's Stephan, or something from upstream.

Are you sure a change isn't making HDMI audio get enabled? That is known to kill composite video output.
by Josh.43 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:10 am
dom wrote:
Josh.43 wrote:Further, r11514 using the bootcode.bin, loader.bin, and start.elf included in r11535 also works.

Okay, so it wasn't me that broke it. Guess it's Stephan, or something from upstream.

Are you sure a change isn't making HDMI audio get enabled? That is known to kill composite video output.

If there's a way to verify that setting (or change it) without seeing video output, I'm certainly open to updating to a 'broken' revision and testing.

Something tells me that if it's not sorted out by the next time there's an update on the official page, that there's going to be a flurry of activity.

Question: would it be worth trying a nightly build of raspbmc to see if it's an xbmc thing, or are the two code paths too separated?
by Milo81 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:36 pm
MyopicWombat wrote:
Milo81 wrote:
I managed to get 8192cu working.
I have Edimax EW-7811Un which is also using 8192cu driver.

Here's how I did it:
  • Build openELEC
  • Download driver from http://nathan.chantrell.net/downloads/raspberry_pi/rtl8192_8188CU_linux_v3.0.2164.20110715.tar.gz (googled somewhere)
  • Cross compile the driver using toolchain from openELEC, using this script:
    PATH=/path_to_openELEC/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin:$PATH
    make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi- -C /path_to_openELEC/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/linux-3.2.21 M=/path_to_unpacked_driver/rtl8192_8188CU_linux_v3.0.2164.20110715 modules

Don't forget to replace path_to with correct paths.
  • Now we need to blacklist the original rtl8192 driver, upload our freshly built one, and run depmod -a. Unfortunately the root filesystem is squashfs (read-only), so it's needed to unsqash it, modify and repack it again.
    # mount the squashfs (SYSTEM file)
    mkdir /tmp/squashy
    sudo mount -o loop SYSTEM /tmp/squashy
    # copy the whole filesystem to new location
    mkdir /tmp/newsquashy
    sudo -i
    find /tmp/squashy -xdev -print0 | cpio -pd0V /tmp/newsquashy
    # remove the old drivers
    rm -rf /tmp/nwesquashy/lib/modules/3.2.21/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/
    # copy our module
    cp /path_to_unpacked_driver/rtl8192_8188CU_linux_v3.0.2164.20110715/8192cu.ko /tmp/newsquashy/lib/modules/3.2.21/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    # run openELEC's toolchain depmod
    /path_to_openELEC/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin/depmod -b /tmp/newsquashy/ 3.2.21
    # build the new squashfs image
    mksquashfs /tmp/newsquashy/ SYSTEM
  • Copy the SYSTEM file to the sdcard.
I don't know why, but WPA is not working - I'm getting disconnected right after the authentication, so for now I'm using only WEP. I've tried this on debian as well, with same results.
I suspect there will be some incopatibility problem between wpa_supplicant and the driver because i see some ioctl operation not permitted errors...

I'm rather new to working with linux so this may be a simple problem but I'm having problems with the script to compile the driver from the source. When I run the script it returns the error "CFLAGS: command not found". Any clues as to what mistake I'm making?

Thanks.

PATH=/home/user/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin:$PATH
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi- -C /home/user/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/linux-3.2.22 M=/home/user/Downloads/rtl8188C_8192C_8192D_usb_linux_v3.4.2_3727.20120404 modules -I/home/jeremy/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/sysroot/usr/include/libnl3/

Ops, sorry.
It should be:
CFLAGS+="-march=armv6zk -mcpu=arm1176jzf-s -mabi=aapcs-linux -Wno-psabi -Wa,-mno-warn-deprecated -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfp -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -O3 -fexcess-precision=fast -ffast-math  -I/path_to_openELEC/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/sysroot/usr/include/libnl3/"

I haven't tested it with 3.4.2_3727.20120404 driver version and linux-3.2.22 yet...
by Sc0ut » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:36 am
Has anyone problems with the internet connection?
by Nodge » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:03 pm
Just tried r11535 and the problem with the TV Series is still there. After the first boot all files play fine with no problems. Then I set the content for my Movies folder and scrape the movie database and that all works well. Then if I set the content for my TV Series folder and scrape the TV Series database and then go to TV Series on the main menu only 4 or 5 banners load up and the whole system locks up. I've had this problem for some weeks now. This seems to me to be a major problem as it makes openelec unusable for anyone using it for TV Series (unless you're happy to use it without the artwork).
John