Advance MAME (Findings so far)

88 posts   Page 3 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4
by lukeren » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:44 pm
TekTonic wrote:
SSilver2k2 wrote:I'm running 106.1 . If you are getting an error on the command line but it works in X, it's probably because you havent set your display clock in the advmame.rc file.

I did set those values, and I've tried it on a few different monitors and a tv. I get a brief flash of oversized text then a blank screen rather than any kinds of errors. The system is responding - I can quit out of it by pressing esc, so it's obviously working to some degree, just not giving me the pretty pictures.

At least I now know I can stick with the latest version - thanks.

Try typing OK on the blank screen. If it doesn't work, do it again (so, OKOK).
I had the same thing with some roms, the above helped.
by cpswan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:37 pm
Cause wrote:The audio on my RPI is working fine, but for some reason I dont have any audio with advancemame. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

I am on wheezy (not the 2012-07-15 release)

I found myself in the same boat when running binaries that I'd compiled (using gcc-4.7 on Raspbian). Things seem to work when I run binaries from SSilver2k2, so I'm presently scratching my head about what's different between his build and mine (with the other difference being stuff around access to the framebuffer, as my build runs fine without chmod 777 /dev/fb0).
by SSilver2k2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:20 pm
Did you have ALSA tools installed before running ./configure?
My blog of various geeky things - http://blog.sheasilverman.com
DeskCade.com - Mini Raspberry Pi Arcade Cabinet
PiMAME - http://pimame.org
by cpswan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:53 am
SSilver2k2 wrote:Did you have ALSA tools installed before running ./configure?

No I didn't (as I wasn't aware of the need for that). I've just done 'sudo apt-get alsa-tools', and I'll have another go at building.
by cpswan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:37 am
cpswan wrote:
SSilver2k2 wrote:Did you have ALSA tools installed before running ./configure?

No I didn't (as I wasn't aware of the need for that). I've just done 'sudo apt-get alsa-tools', and I'll have another go at building.

So that failed for me (pretty quickly at least). I then tried to force the issue with ./configure --enable-alsa and got:

Code: Select all
checking for snd_pcm_open in -lasound... no
configure: error: the ALSA library is missing

I tried the obvious 'sudo apt-get install alsa-lib' but there isn't a repo by that name. A bit of googling turned up that what I actually needed was 'sudo apt-get install libasound2-dev', and that got ./configure to spit out:

checking for snd_pcm_open in -lasound... yes
checking for ALSA... yes
checking for OSS... yes

<snip/>

== Drivers/Libraries ==
Video : fb
Sound : alsa oss

I just ran make, and sadly the resulting binary still didn't play any sound. I suspect there might be a dependency issue, so I'm now waiting on the outcome of a 'make clean && make'. Fingers crossed.
by vmp32k » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:14 pm
I've had moderate success forcing the device_sound to sdl in ~/.advance/advmame.rc.
Looks like advmame outputs to SDL which in turn outputs to pulseaudio which then finally outputs to alsa. Sounds logical? :)
It works for the first (sometimes: few) times but then stops. Tried reloading the sound module, restarting pulseaudio but to no avail.
Sometimes pulseaudio writes this into the syslog: syslog.txt

I'm running on raspbian with a custom built kernel based on raspberrypi/linux, commit 20eadb1d5d, no modifications, cross-compiled with gcc-linaro-4.7-2012.07-armhf.
by hicksonj » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:20 pm
Hi to all RPI Mame'ers !!

OK, I've got AdvanceMame running on my PI. When overclocked to 1GHz (overvolted, bye bye warranty), early eighties games are running at 100% (apart from Phoenix with is about 60% :().

Question: Vector games like Asteroids are running fine apart from a slight display anomaly. There is a blue (cyan) hue which means pixels look slightly washed out. Also the Mame "OK" text at the beginning is cyan, with significant interference. This also effects Star Wars, where reds appear as yellow if the intensity/beam width is boosted.

Any ideas ? I've guessing its an SDL driver issue.
by SSilver2k2 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:49 pm
I haven't tried any Vector games yet. I'll try some of them and see if I get the same issues.

hicksonj wrote:SNIP
My blog of various geeky things - http://blog.sheasilverman.com
DeskCade.com - Mini Raspberry Pi Arcade Cabinet
PiMAME - http://pimame.org
by cpswan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:00 am
cpswan wrote:I just ran make, and sadly the resulting binary still didn't play any sound. I suspect there might be a dependency issue, so I'm now waiting on the outcome of a 'make clean && make'. Fingers crossed

Sound now works for me on Raspbian, so I can confirm that the combination of alsa-tools and libasound2-dev is what's needed. I'll do a blog post later to give a blow by blow guide.

Thanks to Shea (SSilver2k2) for getting me pointed in the right direction.
by tickett » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:15 pm
Are you intending on sharing the SD card image? Or is it possible to package so we can simply download and install .deb rather than having to install all the tools and compile ourselves?

Thanks for the hard work you're all putting in.
by cpswan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:01 pm
tickett wrote:Are you intending on sharing the SD card image? Or is it possible to package so we can simply download and install .deb rather than having to install all the tools and compile ourselves?

Shea has already made a binary distribution available on is blog.

I've got vague plans to do something with the OpenELEC build process to create a MAME appliance, which would be good fodder for image based distribution (just add ROMs); but don't hold your breath. I'm also thinking about seeing if I can use iCade controls via BlueTooth (and then perhaps put an RPi and 10" screen into my iCade to make something that works without an iPad).
by deHakkelaar » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:14 pm
I have Advance MAME running but sound is sometimes bugging like for example the 1941 rom.
Have fixed some sound problems by changing below in "advmame.rc"
"device_alsa_device default"
change into
"device_alsa_device sdl"

Could use some more tips for the sound ?

Below my howto, with limited Linux knowledge, for installing AdvMAME using Raspbian “wheezy” and HDMI output.
Use "sudo passwd" to change the root password and login as root.

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
cp /boot/arm224_start.elf /boot/start.elf
reboot
apt-get install gcc-4.7 gcc++-4.7
apt-get install alsa-tools libasound2-dev
apt-get install lxde xorg python geany
apt-get install build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libgnome2-dev libsdl1.2-dev
apt-get install libxv-dev libxv1
mkdir mame
cd mame
wget http://sourceforge.net/settings/mirror_ ... 6.1.tar.gz
tar -zxvf advancemame-0.106.1.tar.gz
cd advancemame-0.106.0
export CC=gcc-4.7
export CXX=g++-4.7
./configure
make
make install
echo "device_video_clock 5 – 50 / 15.62 / 50 ; 5 – 50 / 15.73 / 60" >> ~/.advance/advmame.rc
echo "export DISPLAY=:0.0" >> /etc/profile
echo "depmod" >> /etc/profile
echo "modprobe snd_bcm2835" >> /etc/profile
cp /boot/arm128_start.elf /boot/start.elf
reboot
by cpswan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:05 pm
deHakkelaar wrote:Use "sudo passwd" to change the root password and login as root.

Or just 'sudo su' if you want a command line as root.
by deHakkelaar » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:38 pm
Thanks for the pointer.
But cant edit original post.
Not sure if modprobe in /etc/profile runs as pi user as I dont have me RasPi available now.
I noticed another errror in the howto concerning the download link for AdvMAME.
For version 0.106.1 the download link should be :

wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/advance ... 6.1.tar.gz
tar -zxvf advancemame-0.106.1.tar.gz
cd advancemame-0.106.1
by CaptainMark » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:12 pm
I followed this step by step and now I get this error on login

ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/3.1.9+, modules.dep.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/3.1.9+, modules.dep.bin.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/3.1.9+, modules.alias.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/3.1.9+, modules.alias.bin.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/3.1.9+, modules.softdep.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/3.1.9+, modules.symbols.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/3.1.9+, modules.symbols.bin.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/3.1.9+, modules.builtin.bin.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/3.1.9+, modules.devname.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied

Uuurgh??

EDIT: its because depmod will throw this error unless run as super user it should be

echo "sudo depmod" >> /etc/profile
by Judder » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:09 pm
I couldn't get defender to work - decoder.2 and decoder.3 NOT FOUND

Williams Defender uses decoder ROM chips to decode the video it generates (I have a real machine :-) ) - you need those ROM images as well as the game ROM images for it to work.

decoder.2   512   8dd98da5   proms   0   good   no
decoder.3   512   c3f45f70   proms   200   good   no
by Gaetano » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:53 pm
Hi All,

I got some problem with audio in advmame, as many or all of you

playing with some options in advmame.rc allow me to play with frogger for a few minutes before audio back muted

here is the options I changed:

sound_adjust 16
sound_mode stereo
sound_normalize no
sound_samplerate 22050

I don'k know if it is a problem of the raspberry firmware or of advmame

advmame is a bit old, and when developed it use an older version of alsa/sdl driver
by Gaetano » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:25 pm
update !!! that allow to play for longer longer time, I suppose it depends on latency

device_sound alsa
sound_adjust 16
sound_latency 0.30
sound_mode stereo
sound_normalize no
sound_samplerate 22050

ps: I'm on pal system
device_video_clock 5 - 50 / 15.62 / 50 ; 5 - 50 / 15.73 / 60
by gzz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:59 pm
hopefully this will improve over time, either this or mame4all. (or the alsa kernel sound module!)

Only games I would call as being excellent would be pacman and mspacman.

All the rest ive tried either are too slow, or the sound just sounds wrong (if any sound even shows up).

boblbobl aint bad, but still skips frames and what not.
Last edited by gzz on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by cpswan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:02 pm
gzz wrote:Only games I would call as being excellent would be pacman and mspacman.

Mr Do! works perfectly. Does anything else matter?
by crookedmouth » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:13 am
HI, I get a strange pulsing lag every few seconds in every game I've tried so far.

Did anyone else get this and find a way to fix it?

At first I thought it was tied to sound and upping latency seemed to help. A latency of .5 slows down mame horribly. Plus now I'm not so sure, I have tried all the above posts settings for sound.

Any ideas? Makes mame unplayable.

Thanks
by gzz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:04 am
crookedmouth wrote:HI, I get a strange pulsing lag every few seconds in every game I've tried so far.

Did anyone else get this and find a way to fix it?

At first I thought it was tied to sound and upping latency seemed to help. A latency of .5 slows down mame horribly. Plus now I'm not so sure, I have tried all the above posts settings for sound.

Any ideas? Makes mame unplayable.

Thanks

Try pacman or mspacman or really old games, I dont get the pulse lagging on those. But for the majority of the rest, yes, pulse lagging is a good way to describe it.

I find sometimes it helps if I rmmod the sound module then modprobe it back in, it helps. But otherwise, I think we just have to wait for programmers to fix either mame or the sound module or whatever is causing it. (or never fixed if the cpu is just too slow)
by crookedmouth » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:23 pm
gzz wrote:
Try pacman or mspacman or really old games, I dont get the pulse lagging on those. But for the majority of the rest, yes, pulse lagging is a good way to describe it.

I find sometimes it helps if I rmmod the sound module then modprobe it back in, it helps. But otherwise, I think we just have to wait for programmers to fix either mame or the sound module or whatever is causing it. (or never fixed if the cpu is just too slow)

Ok, thanks for the info. It was Pacman I was using to test. I think I am going to attempt to compile whatever version that is for the Wiz. 37.xx or something. After what I heard about compile times, I am leery.

I've read that someone was able to compile PSX4all reloaded and it works.
by gzz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:06 pm
i believe mamae4all is compiled if you go the retroarch way, and I dont think its any better (or worse).

And yes, theres pcsx-rearmed for the pi (just google, theres also many thread on here), the thing is, it has a dynamic mips to arm assembly core, which is why its good. (it also has a possible opengles plugin, which should even make it better, if anyone gets it working)

Dont believe mame has anything like this.
by gwenbeth » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:01 pm
I have been unable to get the performance stable. I get a lot of intermittent slowing down. I am already running at 1ghz. are there any setting i should be using to get things working well. The games I have been trying are tempest and marble madness

Gwen