SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

450 posts   Page 4 of 18   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18
by truehl » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:27 pm
Hi,
thanks for the information! Right now I'm doing a test with Shairport and kernel 3.1.9+ #138. Shairport now works stable for 30 minutes and is still running! kernel 3.1.9+ #138 was the kernel I've tested yesterday with SqueezeSlave. With SqueezeSlave there was only noise! So the whole thing is a little bit confusing. I'm pretty sure we will find a working solution for all! B.T.W. I did not thought airplay could be a nice feature, but now I think it is. The best feature for me is that you can run SqueezeBox Server with iPeng and then use airplay. That's great, I love that!!!

The next thing is to take a look forked-daapd! Is there someone who got this working properly on RPi?

Greetings,
Thomas

P.S.: Shairport is still running !!!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by allactionrob » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:43 pm
I can't seem to get LMS to see my /music folder when using a Samba share from a NAS. Has anyone else tried this?

I've just tried a fresh SD image and run through all the setup again, and still the same result. When logged in as root I can see /music and all of the subdirectories ok, but when I acess LMS via the web interface it can't see the /music folder nor its subfolders.

Please someone help before I go nuts! :?

PS. I've also had no luck whatsoever with the NFS share - does it even work? I just get lots of timeouts and errors. Only Samba seems to do anything at all...
by truehl » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:58 pm
allactionrob wrote:I can't seem to get LMS to see my /music folder when using a Samba share from a NAS. Has anyone else tried this?

I've just tried a fresh SD image and run through all the setup again, and still the same result. When logged in as root I can see /music and all of the subdirectories ok, but when I acess LMS via the web interface it can't see the /music folder nor its subfolders.

Please someone help before I go nuts! :?

PS. I've also had no luck whatsoever with the NFS share - does it even work? I just get lots of timeouts and errors. Only Samba seems to do anything at all...

Hi allactionrob,
Samba and NFS both works. For me it seems like a problem with your NAS permissions. Did you try to type in the /music path even if you don't see it? What happens if you create a new folder on your NAS, then mount it on RPi, then place a file in here and then try to place this path in the Squeezebox Server?

Thomas
truehl
by trondis23 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:09 pm
I got the SqueezePlug up and running. But I only get sound from the radio. When I try to play a file from my library, I just get a pop. I use the analogue out. I am connected to a Samba server.
by allactionrob » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:19 pm
truehl wrote:Hi allactionrob,
Samba and NFS both works. For me it seems like a problem with your NAS permissions. Did you try to type in the /music path even if you don't see it? What happens if you create a new folder on your NAS, then mount it on RPi, then place a file in here and then try to place this path in the Squeezebox Server?

Thomas

Hi Thomas, thanks for your help. I did try just typing /music, but no luck. I've created a new folder on the NAS with no access restrictions at all, and put a file in it. This time LMS could see it.

It seems that the folders which are protected by user/pwds cannot be seen, even if an suitable user/pwd is provided to your setup script when configuring the samba share. Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to have to take off the access restrictions on my music collection.

For me, even if I try once to use NFS, for ever after I have very long boot ups with some "mount.nfs Connection timed out" errors.

Thanks again,
Rob.
by truehl » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:35 pm
allactionrob wrote:

Thomas

Hi Thomas, thanks for your help. I did try just typing /music, but no luck. I've created a new folder on the NAS with no access restrictions at all, and put a file in it. This time LMS could see it.

It seems that the folders which are protected by user/pwds cannot be seen, even if an suitable user/pwd is provided to your setup script when configuring the samba share. Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to have to take off the access restrictions on my music collection.

For me, even if I try once to use NFS, for ever after I have very long boot ups with some "mount.nfs Connection timed out" errors.

Thanks again,
Rob.

Hi Rob,
I'll investigate the NFS issue later. I haven't tested it on the RPi, but on the other devices. RPi should also work, but who knows!

I fear I can't help you with the Samba rights problem with your NAS, sorry!

Greetings, Thomas
truehl
by allactionrob » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:47 pm
truehl wrote:Hi Rob,
I'll investigate the NFS issue later. I haven't tested it on the RPi, but on the other devices. RPi should also work, but who knows!

I fear I can't help you with the Samba rights problem with your NAS, sorry!

Greetings, Thomas

I understand, no worries! But I should have mentioned, the miniDLNA server seems not to suffer from this problem, and can see my share no problem. Don't know if that helps... Thx, R.
by marcelp1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:52 pm
Hi Thomas,

SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi is great project :)

Would it be possible to include in your project:
- DVBStreamer viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6062
to stream DVB telly in home network from USB DVB like Pinnacle PCTV 72e

- forward proxy viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8392
to use the Pi when not at home to have access to on line telly like TVCatchup,
which requires UK IP address?
by truehl » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:15 pm
marcelp1 wrote:Hi Thomas,

SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi is great project :)

Would it be possible to include in your project:
- DVBStreamer viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6062
to stream DVB telly in home network from USB DVB like Pinnacle PCTV 72e

- forward proxy viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8392
to use the Pi when not at home to have access to on line telly like TVCatchup,
which requires UK IP address?

Hi marcelp1,
I don't own such HW so I can't test. What I saw no one got it to work! If someone has success, you can easiely adapt this and modify Squeezeplug. You have full access to Debian, so everything is possible. Same with the proxy. It's not on my list for improvements, because it has not directly something to do with Media services. But you can easiely install e.g. Squid ore something else!

Greetings, Thomas
truehl
by truehl » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:44 pm
Short status update for Shairport:
Shairport seems to run stable now for some hours (and I hope a little longer). I switched over to HDMI output now and the sound I great! There are no pops between songs! Great improvement for Squeezeplug!

Greetings.
Thomas
truehl
by fifthQ » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:21 pm
Hi Thomas,

Good to hear Shairport is coming along nicely.

I wanted to ask if you've looked into a DLNA renderer for Squeezeplug at all?

I came across this tutorial while looking into it for my own setup.
http://chrisbaume.wordpress.com/blog/ (Thanks, Chris)

I've followed the guide, ignoring most of the ALSA stuff since that seems to be done already as part of your image (?), and it works, although there are issues with playlists and controls etc.

I won't bore you with details until I've tested more thoroughly, but I just wanted to check if you'd considered the idea, or if you had any plans or experience that I might want to know about before I waste a lot of time trying to work out what's going wrong exactly.

thanks
=)
by truehl » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:21 pm
Update about the sound problems:

First of all: There was and is still a massive problem with sound output! This has nothing to do with SqueezePlug or SqueezeSlave! Every project dealing with sound output has the similar problems. Yesterday there was only noise from the analog output. I tried today and the result is different from yesterday! If you make an rpi-update you will get a new firmware as you can see. The new firmware carries the todays date. The kernel hat not changed since yesterday. So we can be sure that we have a firmware and not a kernel problem, so far so good.
Code: Select all
root@squeezeplugrpi:~# /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
Jun 28 2012 18:11:29
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 322659 (release)

root@squeezeplugrpi:~# uname -a
Linux squeezeplugrpi 3.1.9+ #138 PREEMPT Tue Jun 26 16:27:52 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

The result now is: Analog sound output works again, but in a bad quality i think. Digital sound output works fine and stable. So we have to wait for a firmware fixing this issue.

So if you want tp be sure that nothing can so wrong with an rpi-update, save your /boot partition. This is very easy:
1. create a directory for the backups:
mkdir /backup

2. copy all files from /boot to /backup:
cp /boot/* /backup

3. for a restore type:
rm /boot/*
cp /backup/* /boot

I hope that helps,
Greetings, Thomas and congratulations Italy
truehl
by florca » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:05 pm
Downloaded, installed and working very well as a pure Squeezeslave device. Thank you!

One tip which may help people have problems with very poor quality output via a USB Sound Card...

Adding the following simple /etc/asound.conf improved things very significantly! The "rate" statement is optional..

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm {
   type hw
   rate 44100
   card 0
  }
}
ctl.!default {
   type hw
   card 0
}

This was lifted from my O2 Joggler (running Squeezeplay) which had alsa sound issues..

Hope it helps, Phil
by florca » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:26 am
And this even simpler /etc/asound.conf sounds (I think...) slightly better...

pcm.!default {
type hw;
card 0;
}
ctl.!default {
type hw;
card 0;
}

Tested with a Topping TP30 DAC/amp and Behringer UCA202 USB sound card. Installing it will limit all ALSA audio output to the specified device - to see which devices are available use:
aplay -l
by fifthQ » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:15 am
Thanks for that, florca. USB audio sounds pretty nice here, but I will definitely give that a try later.
by drmarkb » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:32 pm
@florca how do you find the sound quality from the UCA202 when used with the Pi? im finding sound through a generic USB sound card to be a little tinny and wondering if its worth the £22?
by truehl » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:49 pm
fifthQ wrote:I wanted to ask if you've looked into a DLNA renderer for Squeezeplug at all?

Hi fifthQ,
Very good hint! I will take a look a this! Right now I'm experimenting with mpd. Mpd worksnfine so far, so we have a second player (mpd is a server and player) on RPi. But you are right, we don't have a native DLNA player so far. SqueezeSlave is a Squeezebox Player but can't work as a nativ DLNA Player.

Integrating this player should be quite easy, I'll inform you!

Greetings, Thomas
truehl
by florca » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:41 am
drmarkb wrote:@florca how do you find the sound quality from the UCA202 when used with the Pi? im finding sound through a generic USB sound card to be a little tinny and wondering if its worth the £22?

Right now I think I'd advise saving your money - apart from the UCA202 and TP30 I've also tried it with a FiiO E7 (with USB Charging disabled) and all exhibit some level of intermittent background pops and noises - better once the asound.conf had been added but there none the less, and all worse than when using any of them with a laptop or the O2 Joggler.

After digging around in lots of other posts relating to audio issues it looks like some combination of the firmware level, ALSA drivers, SD card speed and PSU noise conspire to make the Pi less than perfect as an audio source - consensus seems to be that HDMI provides by far the cleanest output but I don't have a way to test this properly.

Best hope looks like the efforts to improve the ALSA drivers (well out of my league..) - will do testing today with a faster SD card to see if this improves things.

Phil
by allactionrob » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:43 pm
allactionrob wrote:

Thomas

Thanks again,
Rob.

I have (at last!) just managed to solve this problem. It seems that LMS/squeezeplug needs not just read, but also write access to the /music folder in the 'others' class. I.e. the permissions must be 'rwxrwxrwx' not simply 'rwxrwx---'. To do this I had to ssh into my NAS as root and do chmod -R 777 /foldername. After that LMS could scan the folder no problems.

So now squeezeplug can see my music, I just have to get squeezeslave to play it without breaks/interruptions... Has there been any progress on this? Reading this forum suggests that different ppl experience it more/less than others, so maybe its a power supply or SD card speed issue?
by truehl » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:40 pm
fifthQ wrote:... I wanted to ask if you've looked into a DLNA renderer for Squeezeplug at all?

Hi Chris,
I've tested gemediarender so far. Now on startup RPi shows a lot of system messages like "registering support for ..." . After that gemediarender runs but I can't do anything on the console. An SSH-Connection works fine. I have some other issues with remote controls like PlugPlayer. Maybe I did something wrong, but for me it does not run as suppose to. Do You run gemediarender reliable on RPi ?

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
by fifthQ » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:16 pm
truehl wrote:Hi Chris,
I've tested gemediarender so far. Now on startup RPi shows a lot of system messages like "registering support for ..." . After that gemediarender runs but I can't do anything on the console. An SSH-Connection works fine. I have some other issues with remote controls like PlugPlayer. Maybe I did something wrong, but for me it does not run as suppose to. Do You run gemediarender reliable on RPi ?

Greetings,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I'm not actually Chris ;) . (I was just saying thanks to the author)

I had it working, but not reliably. I can't say I attempted to use the console, or ssh for that matter. Other than that, your experience sounds much like mine.

Like I said, it worked, I could stream FLAC and MP3 from various sources to the Pi, but remote control was very flaky. I couldn't fast forward, rewind, or pause at all using BubbleUpnP. Same for UPnPlay, except pause restarted the track in that case.

I also found Playlists to be dodgy. Playback stopped at the end of each track, I had to manually skip to the next track every time. I've never used it before though, so I figured I probably did something wrong. I restored my backup image with the intention of trying again, just in case, but it will have to wait a day or two I think.

Will fill you in if I learn anything new.

=)
by truehl » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:32 pm
fifthQ wrote:
truehl wrote:Hi Chris,

Greetings,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I'm not actually Chris ;) . (I was just saying thanks to the author)

I had it working, but not reliably. I can't say I attempted to use the console, or ssh for that matter. Other than that, your experience sounds much like mine.

Like I said, it worked, I could stream FLAC and MP3 from various sources to the Pi, but remote control was very flaky. I couldn't fast forward, rewind, or pause at all using BubbleUpnP. Same for UPnPlay, except pause restarted the track in that case.

I also found Playlists to be dodgy. Playback stopped at the end of each track, I had to manually skip to the next track every time. I've never used it before though, so I figured I probably did something wrong. I restored my backup image with the intention of trying again, just in case, but it will have to wait a day or two I think.

Will fill you in if I learn anything new.

=)

Hi fifthQ,
thanks for the quick answer! So I think we have to search for an other solution! A real DLNA-Player would be a massive improvement.

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
by fifthQ » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:15 pm
florca wrote:apart from the UCA202 and TP30 I've also tried it with a FiiO E7 (with USB Charging disabled) and all exhibit some level of intermittent background pops and noises...

Hi Phil,

After reading this, I did some further checking on my Turtle Beach device, and I'm sorry to say I think you're right. MP3 particularly does exhibit some faint background noise. Although, I must also say that I find the noise to be nearly, if not completely, imperceptible on FLAC audio, but I can't think of any logical reason for this, so I'm probably just imagining it (...wishful hearing...is that a thing? :D ).

I also checked up on the details of the device, it uses a Cmedia CM102-A+/102S+ Audio Controller. A quick search led me to this, http://www.stilen.com/notes/usb_sound_card.txt which suggests this has been carried over to the Audio Advantage Micro II as well.
by drmarkb » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:03 pm
I took the plunge anyway and bought the device.... If it's not fit for the pi, and it will get reused somewhere else so I'm not too fussed.

As a windows guy primarily and my only use of Linux is installing packages on my unraid server I'm trying to get my head round the way sound is processed on a Linux machine in general rather than the pi....

As far as I understand it, alsa is what processes all sound and passes to either the on board sound card (analogue 3.5mm jack) or to the external usb sound card?

How does the sound processing differ between those and digital out via hdmi?

Power spikes seem the obvious thing as I'm typing, as analogue outputs would be more sensitive to sudden changes.... Hmm

My next question if this is the case would be either, is anyone running the pi (or able to) behind a ups which would help negate any power issues (assuming they're caused by the mains and not the left over phone chargers we are using!) or what's the cheapest way to convert the hdmi audio to analogue?

Mark
by fifthQ » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:26 am
Hi Mark,

I do apologize if my comments regarding the Turtle Beach device influenced your decision. Although I am hopeful that the noise I mentioned will be sorted out as development continues, and as I said, the noise is almost imperceptible sometimes.

=)