SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

450 posts   Page 2 of 18   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18
by zfh10 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:05 am
sounds great. Could you get away with squeezing it on a 2gb card? What is the minimum size? 4gb?
by truehl » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:45 am
zfh10 wrote:sounds great. Could you get away with squeezing it on a 2gb card? What is the minimum size? 4gb?

I've build the image as 4GB. From the data written on the card 2 GB cards would also fit, but you have to find a way to re-size the partitions without a 4 GB card. Please let me know, if 4 GB is a big problem for you. If it is, I can re-size the image to 2 GB.

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by bradypus » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:16 pm
Thomas,

Thanks for all your hard work on this. I've now got Logitech Media Server and Squeezeslave running on my r-pi with a USB HD. I have a couple of problems though.

Firstly, my 4GB cards seem to be very slightly smaller than yours - Win32 Disk Imager reports that 7744512 sectors are needed and only 7733248 are available. I've used a 16GB card (don't have any 8s) but would like to use a 4GB card if possible.

Secondly, I'm getting a lot of dropouts using Squeezeslave playing through the HDMI port into a TV. It's fine playing through the squeezebox receiver . though. Is this likely to be some sort of a buffering issue that can be easily solved? It's not a big problem for me as I'll be using the squeezebox receiver anyway.

Regards

Ian
by truehl » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:05 pm
bradypus wrote:Firstly, my 4GB cards seem to be very slightly smaller than yours - Win32 Disk Imager reports that 7744512 sectors are needed and only 7733248 are available. I've used a 16GB card (don't have any 8s) but would like to use a 4GB card if possible.
Thanks for this hint, I'll make the final image a bit smaller so it should fit to every card.

bradypus wrote:Secondly, I'm getting a lot of dropouts using Squeezeslave playing through the HDMI port into a TV. It's fine playing through the squeezebox receiver . though. Is this likely to be some sort of a buffering issue that can be easily solved? It's not a big problem for me as I'll be using the squeezebox receiver anyway.

I've not tested the HDMI sound output yet, but I will! The analog output works very well for me! I'll test it and give a feedback here! I'm very close to the developer of SqueezeSlave, so we will see how to fix it.
truehl
by scorp » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:02 pm
Hi Thomas,
I have a question about installation of SqueezePlug. Is there the only way to have it on Pi by downloading your image? I spent two weeks making my Debian running my way, changed some settings which I can't even remember (for emergency I back up SD after change). I'm not very good linux user and it will be disaster for me to install fresh image anf start from beginning. Do you have other options?
Thanks
by truehl » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:25 pm
scorp wrote: Is there the only way to have it on Pi by downloading your image?

Right now it is the only way. If you like I can give you the script for setting it all up and I can give you all my scripts SqueezePlugs needs. Give me a sign if you ate interested.

Greetings, Thomas
truehl
by Paul Webster » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:02 pm
FYI - I ran rpi-update on SD card that I was using with Squeezeplug ... and afterwards I could not get the local SqueezeSlave to play (via headphone socket in this case) any more (alsa error message).

I see that rpi-update script updates more than the /boot partition ... and I suspect that the updates that it made to the libraries was the cause of the problem.

I've since reimaged the card using the Squeezeplug image and will try to reproduce the steps to see if that really was the problem - in the meantime ... I suggest that others who have a working Squeezeplug do not try to update using anything other that the menu items from the Squeezeplug setup program.
by truehl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:35 pm
Paul Webster wrote:FYI - I ran rpi-update on SD card that I was using with Squeezeplug ... and afterwards I could not get the local SqueezeSlave to play (via headphone socket in this case) any more (alsa error message).
Hi Paul, thanks for the hint! Could you post the alsa error message? (if you have it). Maybe a new kernel was installed and alsa support is missing? I'll alao try it, but it will last some days!

Greetings Thomas
truehl
by jojojojojojo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:15 pm
Hi Thomas,
thanks for the great work. It'll one of the first things I will try once I get my Pi..
I have a few questions already. Can Squeezeslave be controlled via the regular Android-Apps like the original Logitech Squeezebox Controller or Squeeze Commander?
And then, sound from the analog out is not great as I read, so I was considering a USB-Soundcard instead. Any experience with analog out and other ways to convert it to something analog appreciated..:-)
Regards,
Johannes
by truehl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:43 pm
jojojojojojo wrote:Can Squeezeslave be controlled via the regular Android-Apps like the original Logitech Squeezebox Controller or Squeeze Commander?
yes, it can, it's seen as a normal player.

jojojojojojo wrote:And then, sound from the analog out is not great as I read, so I was considering a USB-Soundcard instead. Any experience with analog out and other ways to convert it to something analog appreciated..:-)
I've tested some analog sound cards with SheevaPlugs, Dockstars and GoFlex devices. Right now no RPi. But I can't see a reason for this not working. If you like to have a real good sound output you should use a original player like the touch. But I think the sound output from the RPi is not so bad. I've not tested the digital output with HDMI, did someone tried this?
truehl
by scorp » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:54 pm
Sorry for kind of off topic, but I realised that my Panasonic TV(DLNA) came with Twonky licence. Does it mean that I can install twonky on RPi and use that licence? If yes, then which one will work?
http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/5.1.2/
by truehl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:20 am
scorp wrote:Sorry for kind of off topic, but I realised that my Panasonic TV(DLNA) came with Twonky licence. Does it mean that I can install twonky on RPi and use that licence? If yes, then which one will work?
http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/5.1.2/

You can install the right Twonky version simply by choosing the right topic from my setup scripts. The license question depends on the possibility to read out the key, I don't think it will be possible,
Greetings, Thomas
truehl
by jojojojojojo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:57 am
Great, thanks for the info!
by Paul Webster » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:48 am
Prior to trying SqueezePlug I had used SqueezeSlave on the regular Debian image.
Sound via HDMI was very good and I ran it for a few hours.
On SqueezePlug RPi I found that the sound over HDMI had a few break-ups (perhaps once each 20 seconds), that I think coincided with a flash on the OK light.
When I tried over the headphone socket the sound was very bad - but it was while LMS was still scanning the music library (over Samba).

I've reimaged the SD card to try the alpha Debian Wheezy image - so further SqueezePlug testing will have to wait - but I think that it certainly shows good promise and I suspect will be even better once some of the activity to optimise the USB controller interface starts to feed into the released OS.

Thomas - after running rpi-update the error being reported was a failure during HW initialisation (I could repeat it with aplay). I didn't write down the line number ... but from memory it was an assignment of variable 'r' around line 1500 in (maybe) pa_linux_alsa.c
by bascule » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:14 am
I'm using Squeezeplug on my Pi and can only say it's brilliant. I know almost nothing about Linux but managed to set it up using the Squeezeplug Wiki and a little common sense, and now have twonky and webmin up & running and sharing media files from a 2tb HDD. Thanks!
- learning the hard way. Who needs to walk when running is more fun
by truehl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:35 am
bascule wrote:I'm using Squeezeplug on my Pi and can only say it's brilliant. I know almost nothing about Linux but managed to set it up using the Squeezeplug Wiki and a little common sense, and now have twonky and webmin up & running and sharing media files from a 2tb HDD. Thanks!

Thanks for this feedback. The main goal of my project is to make things as simple as possible. Please keep in mind that the Wiki is still in progress, I'm changing it completely since I support RPi. It will last some more days till it's finished.
truehl
by jureso » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:01 pm
Hello.
I'm trying to get my RPI Squeeze slave working without external USB sound card. Is that possible. At home I have a NAS with Logitech media server installed. On my RPI I have installed only squeeze slave, following the squeezeplug.de wiki.
When I run squeeze slave on RPI (squeezeslave &) i get a following message:
PortAudio error7: No output devices found.
My Logitech media server can see my squeeze slave.
When I run alsamixer it offers me default or bcm2835 ALSA sound cards. Whichever I choose, it makes no difference.

Can anyone help me please?

Regards, Jure
by truehl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:43 pm
jureso wrote:Hello.
I'm trying to get my RPI Squeeze slave working without external USB sound card. Is that possible.

Yes, it is! You can run SqueezeSlave on RPi stand alone, using an other server in you LAN. You will find an option for this in my scripts. From setup choose "misc" "SqueezeSlave" "SSosD". Sound output should then work from the headphone plug. Could you please try this and report the result back here?

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
by jureso » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:43 pm
It works now. I think the problem was monitor with speakers connected to RPI through HDMI. I unpluged it and now sound from headphone plug works.
Super!

Thank you.
by truehl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:00 pm
Hi Folks,
I found a nice review of SqueezePlug I'm happy about, you can read here:

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index. ... pberry-pi/

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl
by truehl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:57 pm
My philosophy of Raspberry Pi and SqueezePlug

Hi folks,
maybe I'm wrong, but I got the feeling the last days, that Raspberry Pi is a big hype people waited for for a long time and now they got it, they don't really know how to use it. I don't know what people expected of RPi, but for me it was clear from the beginning, that it won't be a replacement for a desktop PC. By the way: Everyone ordered a RPi already owns a real PC!

So what is the RPi for? The main aim of RPi is educational we should keep this in mind. But if you bought one for non educational reasons you should find a job for the Pi.

I'm working with very small computers for over 3 years now, long before RPi was developed. I have a lot of experience with SheevaPlugs, Dockstars and GoFlex devices. They are based on the same technologie as RPi. These devices all make a great job as headless servers for services in your network. Therefore the performance is great.

Because of that reason, RPi can also make a very good headless media server. That's what SqueezePlug made for. And RPi has an advantage to all the other tiny devices: It already has a sound card on board, so you can directly play sound out of it!

So if you don't find a job for your Pi, try SqueezePlug! And if you have a litle Linux know how, what about supporting the SqueezePlug project? There is still a lot of space for improvement!

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl
by bradypus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:36 pm
truehl wrote:
bradypus wrote:Firstly, my 4GB cards seem to be very slightly smaller than yours - Win32 Disk Imager reports that 7744512 sectors are needed and only 7733248 are available. I've used a 16GB card (don't have any 8s) but would like to use a 4GB card if possible.
Thanks for this hint, I'll make the final image a bit smaller so it should fit to every card.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing that. In the meantime, here's a blog post with some pictures of my "Pi-Server" - basically, I've mounted the R-pi on top of a 2.5" USB drive and given them a common power supply. Network connection through the ethernet port.

bradypus wrote:Secondly, I'm getting a lot of dropouts using Squeezeslave playing through the HDMI port into a TV. It's fine playing through the squeezebox receiver . though. Is this likely to be some sort of a buffering issue that can be easily solved? It's not a big problem for me as I'll be using the squeezebox receiver anyway.

I've not tested the HDMI sound output yet, but I will! The analog output works very well for me! I'll test it and give a feedback here! I'm very close to the developer of SqueezeSlave, so we will see how to fix it.

Conversely, I have yet to try using the analogue sound output. I'll report back when I do.

Regards
by normal » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:17 pm
I'm using it as a cheap samba server to have my external USB HDD on all the time, but when I move the drive even a little it unmounts. I know it's a safety feature of the drive but I have to remount it manually when it comes to. Is there a way to have the Squeezeplug do this automatically? If it matter,s I have hd-idle installed.
by truehl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:39 pm
Hi folks,
SqueezePlug for RPi, 500 downloads in a few days is impressive. Please give me a feedback how it works for you? The actual image is still beta and it's the first beta. So I can't believe it's running without issues. Improvements are only possible if you guys tell me what's running and what's not.

Right now I learnd you got the following issues:
1. Image don't fit on every 4 Gb SD-Card
2. Sound output from HDMI don't work stable
3. USB HDs are uncounted in some cases an not automatically remounted.

Please help to improve SqueezePlug and leave your feeback here!

Thanks a lot,
Thomas
truehl
by normal » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:38 pm
For feedback, I'm running it on ethernet and it streams 720p video just fine, but when i go into webmin to see the cpu load it begins stuttering. I don't have any 1080p video to test.