omxplayer - GPU enabled video player


169 posts   Page 5 of 7   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
by BenWiley4000 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:05 pm
I posted an issue on the github about omxplayer key controls no longer working after EOF. Someone posted a fix: https://github.com/huceke/omxplayer/iss ... nt-6800379

However, I'm not sure how to implement this in an existing omxplayer installation.. i.e. I don't know where the files are stored (I installed using a .deb). Does anyone know?
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:36 am
by KenT » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:47 pm
Files are stored on Github in a tab called Code next to Issues
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive displays for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
by BenWiley4000 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:50 pm
I know that I mean where are they on my computer
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:36 am
by BPTMatthew » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:38 pm
You have done amazing things here, can't wait to see further updates to make this even better.
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:07 pm
by bhensley » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:13 am
For anyone struggling to get their videos playing, I put together this great little blog to help explain it. Check it out for some guided help if you're a beginner.

http://www.brianhensley.net/2012/07/how ... on-my.html

Cheers,

Brian Hensley
www.brianhensley.net
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:18 pm
by FlorianOtel » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:13 pm
Hello all,

I'm having the following problem I need your help with:

In trying to get _some_ video player working for HD material I've installed omxplayer (from the .deb packages located at http://omxplayer.sconde.net/ ) on my Raspdebian but I get no video output. Audio works OK.

Details:

Platform: Raspbian "Pisces" R3 image (from here http://www.raspbian.org/PiscesImages )

OMXplayer: Tried both "omxplayer_0.2-ec4e7bc4-armhf.deb" and "omxplayer_0.1-0925300b-armhf.deb" from http://omxplayer.sconde.net/

omxplayer.log reports:

Code: Select all
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::Initialize OMX.broadcom.video_decode input port 130 output port 131
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: DllOMX: Using omx system library
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::Initialize OMX.broadcom.video_render input port 90 output port 90
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: DllOMX: Using omx system library
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::Initialize OMX.broadcom.video_scheduler input port 10 output port 11
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: DllOMX: Using omx system library
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::Initialize OMX.broadcom.text_scheduler input port 150 output port 151
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::AllocInputBuffers component(OMX.broadcom.video_decode) - iport(130), nBufferCountMin(1), nBufferCountActual(60), nBufferSize(81920), nBufferAlignmen(16)
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::AllocInputBuffers component(OMX.broadcom.text_scheduler) - iport(150), nBufferCountMin(1), nBufferCountActual(100), nBufferSize(1024), nBufferAlignmen(16)
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::AllocOutputBuffers component(OMX.broadcom.text_scheduler) - iport(151), nBufferCountMin(1), nBufferCountActual(1), nBufferSize(1024) nBufferAlignmen(16)
00:00:00 T:0   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::DecoderEventHandler OMX.broadcom.video_decode - OMX_ErrorInsufficientResources, insufficient resources
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXVideo::Open - decoder_component(0x0xc04a0), input_port(0x82), output_port(0x83) deinterlace 0 hdmiclocksync 0


Can someone shed some light on why I don't get any video and/or the reason for the "insufficient resouces" message ? (Assuming that's the culprit, of course).

There are no other applications running, system has only one LXterminal open. I've tried this with several video files (both HD 1080p and really small video files but the result is the same).

Let me know if there is any further information you need.

TIA for the help,

Florian
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:39 am
by campsight » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:40 pm
I'm playing around with the raspberry pi with an ott tv service (test). Works very well with omxplayer on armhf - also for HD channels. Thanks for all the support and input on that topic.

I have another, related question: does anyone have experience with CEC on the raspberry pi? Could you point me to some example code / config / ...? thx!
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 am
by dom » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:15 pm
campsight wrote:I have another, related question: does anyone have experience with CEC on the raspberry pi? Could you point me to some example code / config / ...? thx!


olajep has got CEC working with XBMC:
https://github.com/olajep/rpi-cecd/commits/master

However this doesn't work with all TVs and should be considered an interim solution.

Work has been ongoing to get Pulse Eight's libCEC running on the Pi:
https://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec

I've heard promising noises from the people working on that, so hopefully that will be available soon.
When available that will be the recommended CEC API on the Pi, and the existing CEC service will be replaced.
(It's quite a rewrite, so we won't be able to support the old API once the libCEC support is in place).
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge
by FlorianOtel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:52 pm
Hello again,

Here's replying to my own post on the reason for this issue and how to solve it.

It turns out that the default split ratio of the 256MB RAM btw. the CPU and GPU in my image was 224/32 MB , which wasn't enough for omxplayer

What I needed to do is to change that ration to 192/64 and update the firmware this is a simple (as root):

Code: Select all
cp /boot/arm192_start.elf /boot/start.elf
reboot


Also a good thing to do is to update the firmare -- in my case using "rpi-update" tool and a 2nd reboot

For more details at: http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... mory_split

HTH for others that migh encounter same issue,

Florian

FlorianOtel wrote:Hello all,

I'm having the following problem I need your help with:

In trying to get _some_ video player working for HD material I've installed omxplayer (from the .deb packages located at http://omxplayer.sconde.net/ ) on my Raspdebian but I get no video output. Audio works OK.

Details:

Platform: Raspbian "Pisces" R3 image (from here http://www.raspbian.org/PiscesImages )

OMXplayer: Tried both "omxplayer_0.2-ec4e7bc4-armhf.deb" and "omxplayer_0.1-0925300b-armhf.deb" from http://omxplayer.sconde.net/

omxplayer.log reports:

Code: Select all
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::Initialize OMX.broadcom.video_decode input port 130 output port 131
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: DllOMX: Using omx system library
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::Initialize OMX.broadcom.video_render input port 90 output port 90
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: DllOMX: Using omx system library
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::Initialize OMX.broadcom.video_scheduler input port 10 output port 11
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: DllOMX: Using omx system library
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::Initialize OMX.broadcom.text_scheduler input port 150 output port 151
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::AllocInputBuffers component(OMX.broadcom.video_decode) - iport(130), nBufferCountMin(1), nBufferCountActual(60), nBufferSize(81920), nBufferAlignmen(16)
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::AllocInputBuffers component(OMX.broadcom.text_scheduler) - iport(150), nBufferCountMin(1), nBufferCountActual(100), nBufferSize(1024), nBufferAlignmen(16)
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::AllocOutputBuffers component(OMX.broadcom.text_scheduler) - iport(151), nBufferCountMin(1), nBufferCountActual(1), nBufferSize(1024) nBufferAlignmen(16)
00:00:00 T:0   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::DecoderEventHandler OMX.broadcom.video_decode - OMX_ErrorInsufficientResources, insufficient resources
00:00:00 T:0   DEBUG: COMXVideo::Open - decoder_component(0x0xc04a0), input_port(0x82), output_port(0x83) deinterlace 0 hdmiclocksync 0


Can someone shed some light on why I don't get any video and/or the reason for the "insufficient resouces" message ? (Assuming that's the culprit, of course).

There are no other applications running, system has only one LXterminal open. I've tried this with several video files (both HD 1080p and really small video files but the result is the same).

Let me know if there is any further information you need.

TIA for the help,

Florian
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:39 am
by optim4l » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:39 am
Hi, I've got some mp4 music videos that were playing fine with the omxplayer included with the debian wheezy beta from june. I've just flashed the new "Raspbian" and the videos never play fully, they always quit before the end of the song. Any ideas what is causing that? :?:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:36 am
by MJMcKevitt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:22 am
Yeah guys, I have the same problem as optim4l. Videos never play to the end over hdmi. I've tried so far avi, mp4 and mkv. mkv gave an audio::decode error and avi something about segmentation. mp4 just stopped short and displayed a Have a Nice Day :) Any help on this would be great. (I can't use Raspbmc because I have no internet atm) Thanks!
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:39 pm
by MJMcKevitt » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:38 pm
MJMcKevitt wrote:Yeah guys, I have the same problem as optim4l. Videos never play to the end over hdmi. I've tried so far avi, mp4 and mkv. mkv gave an audio::decode error and avi something about segmentation. mp4 just stopped short and displayed a Have a Nice Day :) Any help on this would be great. (I can't use Raspbmc because I have no internet atm) Thanks!


Maybe I should start a new thread as this one seems to be dead...
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:39 pm
by marosg » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:00 pm
I have the same problem, video never plays the last minute or so. It looks like end of file is reached but player does not play what is still in buffer. It behaves this way on raspbian, it worked on wheezy.

Another problem is, when I play a movie, which does not cover the whole screen, I can see console messages above and below the picture, no idea how to get of rid of that.

BTW, why omxplayer does not show its version ?

Other than that, great player, I am very happy with it, good work.
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:41 pm
by Super-Nathan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:27 am
I have tried googling it, where can i pick up the omxplayer source code for a related project? (powerpc)
echo "Something Useful" > /dev/null
User avatar
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:56 am
Location: South Korea
by jamesh » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:30 am
On github - there link is in an earlier page on this thread.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11956
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by bhensley » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:18 pm
Check out this blog on how to get omxplayer working on your raspberry pi.

http://www.brianhensley.net/2012/07/how ... on-my.html


Cheers,
Brian Hensley
www.brianhensley.net
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:18 pm
by raha0007 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:42 am
In Raspbian the omxplayer is allready included but you need the torrarin fix for this version so it doesnt stop before the file actually ends.

I described this on reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/co ... r/.compact

Im pretty sure this affects anyone with the raspbian distro
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am
by transcendtient » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:24 am
I'm running this distro:
http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/07/31/ ... pberry-pi/
Installed a gui, browser, gnash, and the player.
Followed the instructions here:
http://omxplayer.sconde.net/
Had to purge once and re-split my memory, reboot and it works great.
I've watched video in fluxbox with midori running in the background with no problems.

I had a strange dream, where noone had hardware video accelleration for flash, and in order to watch video by clicking links in their browser gnash had to act like there was no video and all it would show is a thumbnail and a new context menu item...
"stream to omxplayer"
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:09 am
by transcendtient » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:53 am
A link to the image I used..
http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/07/31/ ... pberry-pi/

The process for me on a new minimal image system was to run
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

update firmware. I used https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update/

rpi-update 192

reboot

install omxplayer
apt-get install libfreetype6

fix library path
Code: Select all
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/vc/lib:/usr/lib/omxplayer:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ldd /usr/bin/omxplayer.bin


You should read a list of all dependencies present and accounted for. It would be easier if I knew how to find library packages... this is my first run into linux.

I did not realize many of my dependencies had already been installed by other things, so this ALL the steps needed to install omxplayer on that image.
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:09 am
by bphul » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:36 pm
An irritation of running omxplayer in x is seeing the desktop or other open windows behind the movie.
For a more cinematic experience, run omxplayer from an instance of xterm.

To install xterm:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install xterm


For maximum ease of use while in x, configure an application file type association:

First, browse to the location of your movie. Then right-click and choose 'open with.' Click the custom command line tab. Add the following to 'Command line to execute':
Code: Select all
xterm -fullscreen -fg black -e omxplayer -o hdmi -r %f


Let's break that down:
xterm (launches instance of xterm) -fullscreen (makes xterm fill the screen covering the desktop) -fg black (makes the xterm text, that would otherwise be visible, black or in this case hidden) -e (tells xterm to launch the following program) omxplayer (the rad-ass pi player) -o hdmi (play sound through hdmi) -r (resize video to fill screen) %f (for selected file)

Tick the box to 'set selected application as default action for this file type' to make this behavior the default action when launching videos of the selected file type.

File type associations will need to be created for each video container type.

File associations created in this fashion are stored in ~/.local/share/applications/
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:08 pm
by Genius23008 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:44 pm
Hey,
Can't seem to get OMXPlayer to work. Just carries on leaving one line and saying Have a nice day :) . Really annoying. I'm trying to play a mkv file, know it's not corrupt as it works fine on my Android tablet. It won't work!
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:50 am
by fredjam » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:52 am
Omxplayer will play mp4 and (if you have purchased the mpeg codec key) mp2 files.
It won't play the sort of files you have, Why did you think it would? Convert them to mp4.
This is a very basic, very cheap computer not a media centre.
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:19 am
Location: London UK
by Paul Webster » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:46 am
I think that it was a reasonable assumption that .mkv would have worked - given that the only command line example in one of the on-line docs is:
"./omxplayer -p -o hdmi test.mkv"

It may well be right that the content is not supported - so more info is required about what is in the .mkv container.
User avatar
Posts: 430
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:49 am
Location: London, UK
by Montekuri » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:32 pm
Is there some way to create a omxplayer browser plugin?
I would like to use omxplayer as a browser plugin, so it can play mp4 files from sites. e.g.: youtube.
User avatar
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 pm
by stefanj » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:17 pm
I am also impressed with the performance of omxplayer on the Pi. As one previous poster, I would too like to make gnash start omxplayer instead of rendering the video itself.

Not exactly being a cpp expert, I downloaded the latest gnash source.

As far as I have understood, the video stream is started in the NetStream_as::play method (file: gnash/libcore/asobj/NetStream_as.cpp). I have been able to sucessfully dump the url param of the method to a log file (stdout is apparently piped to /dev/null or similar, which made me tear my hair first).

The url retrieved have worked at least for youtube videos.

I think that it would be quite ease for a gnash expert to make gnash play video with omxplayer. Is there anyone out there that could do this?

/Stefan Jakobsson
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:59 pm