OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

1233 posts   Page 46 of 50   1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
by dom » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:45 pm
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by welshblob » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:56 pm
dom wrote:@welshbob
I think he means: "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" from http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Settings/Videos

Thanks for that Dom. It didn't fix it though still got white noise from start of boot until a video is played. Cheap tv doesn't help I think.

Rob
by smuggly » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:56 pm
OK Thanks Dom. So it's an old divx not supported. Thanks very much. Like i said no big deal. Most of my files are HD nowadays. Thanks Again .Smuggly
by sstavross » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:14 pm
mahjongg wrote:monkey music .APE files are not supported by xmbc, there is no decoder for them.
Fortunately the .APE decoder is an open source product so source code for the decoder is available, and the decoder is licence free, so perhaps it can be included in a next release of xmbc..
For now perhaps you should install a player with built in support for such audio files. The free VLC media player supports .APE files, and I think I heard that an ARM linux version exists.
VLC doesn't have support for hardware (GPU) supported decoding for video, but for audio it should probably work.

Thank you for your answer.
But I don't understand. I run xbmc in my windows PC and my ATV2 and it plays fine the APE files. Why do you say that "APE files are not supported by xmbc"? Do you mean that they are not suported for the xbmc edition for the raspberry pi?
by sraue » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:58 pm
sstavross wrote:Thank you for your answer.
But I don't understand. I run xbmc in my windows PC and my ATV2 and it plays fine the APE files. Why do you say that "APE files are not supported by xmbc"? Do you mean that they are not suported for the xbmc edition for the raspberry pi?

yes, XBMC for RPi uses a different player to manage the video files and to support RPi's GPU for video decoding
by teomac » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:59 am
I have several issues with the last build 11388 :(

1. Can't play videos from add-on like TED
2. Can't play videos from the local network through and add-on PlexBMC (I was able do do that with 112xx)
3. Analog audio no longer available in settings (I'm not on HDMI)
by sifar » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:44 am
Got my raspi this week. Tried the 11315 build.

After changing the config file to PAL mode worked beautifully :)
Played 720p videos off usb. Some youtube videos stutter though or no have no sound.

Hats off guys ... amazing work ... :)
by sstavross » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:46 am
mahjongg wrote:Fortunately the .APE decoder is an open source product so source code for the decoder is available, and the decoder is licence free, so perhaps it can be included in a next release of xmbc..

Where do I have to make a request for including an ape decoder in the next release of xbmc?
by sparky0815 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:50 am
r11392 images on http://sparky0815.de

:geek:
Twitter: @Sparky0815
Facebook Gruppe (RaspberryPi - Deutschland): http://on.fb.me/PnYE99
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by smuggly » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:09 pm
Just a general question to the img at "the status of me" Where I Been Downloading. sraue/Stephan I believe is doing the work. I'm curious to the changes being made to each img. Is there a place we can monitor the changes? Thanks for all your hard work. It's coming along nicely.

Smuggly
PS Sorry if i have the names wrong!
by cpswan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:04 pm
smuggly wrote:Just a general question to the img at "the status of me" Where I Been Downloading. sraue/Stephan I believe is doing the work. I'm curious to the changes being made to each img. Is there a place we can monitor the changes? Thanks for all your hard work. It's coming along nicely.

Smuggly
PS Sorry if i have the names wrong!

If you mean the stuff at openelec.thestateofme.com then that's just what gets spat out by my automated build script. I'm having the same struggle as everybody else keeping track of what's changing in the actual builds.

The official test builds are at sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/openelec-rpi/, and there's some commentary on what's changing being posted in the OpenELEC Testbuilds thread
by welshblob » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:23 pm
You can also check out the commits on the githubs which give some insight.

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/commits/master
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc-rbp/commits/master

Rob
by smuggly » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:24 pm
Thanks For The Info..Smuggly
by AndyPi » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:02 pm
EDIMAX 7811 wifi

Instruction on getting this dongle to work are in various places in these forums. They are mainly for the debian variant. The trouble with doing similar for openelec is the read only nature of the squashed file system.

I managed to get the thing working by inserting some simple code into the /script/image file, just before the depmod. The inserted code copies the newly compiled 8192cu driver and RTL8192U firmware to the appropriate locations in the file system before its squashed i.e. in /build.../image/system. I also removed the rtlwifi folder from the system to make sure there were no conflicts (couldnt get blacklisting to work consistently).

I did compile the 8192cu using the openelec toolchain...something like

make arch=arm CROSS_COMPILE=~/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi-

Having inserted the code into script/image file to copy compiled 8192cu driver just run PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make again (it wont take much time) it will re-install, copy 8192cu, depmod, and squash...you end up with new kernel and image in /target.

hope this is interesting for someone

Andy
by welshblob » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:47 pm
welshblob wrote:
dom wrote:@welshbob
I think he means: "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" from http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Settings/Videos

Thanks for that Dom. It didn't fix it though still got white noise from start of boot until a video is played. Cheap tv doesn't help I think.

Rob

Just to add to my own post it was raspbmc doing this, the latest build of openelec seems to kill the white noise whilst xbmc is starting.
by mathewjenkinson » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:48 pm
Is it me or has the network performance dropped in the last few builds?
Its taking ages to navigate through directories on an SMB drive, and I cant seem to load any AFP drives at all.
Any ideas? :)

Thanks
Mathew
by dom » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:46 pm
podly wrote:Hi,

Is there any chance to get rid of the annoying 'POP' noise at the beginning and end of each mp3? I can hear it only on analog stereo output, HDMI is fine. The same noise occurs at the beginning and end of each movie. I tried to deal with crossfade, but it didn't help too much. Maybe external USB sound card? Whether any cards are supported?

Anyway, thanks for this great project!

I've hopefully fixed this. Can you test? You should be able to just download start.elf and replace the one boot partition of your sdcard:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... /start.elf
by milhouse » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:21 pm
mathewjenkinson wrote:Is it me or has the network performance dropped in the last few builds?
Its taking ages to navigate through directories on an SMB drive, and I cant seem to load any AFP drives at all.

Thanks
Mathew

With 11392 I'm noticing the 10%/20%/50% etc. dialog appear when trying to navigate a multipath NFS source - this never appeared before, suggesting that initiating access to NFS (at the very least) is now slower than it was before.
by walleee » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:44 pm
mathewjenkinson wrote:Is it me or has the network performance dropped in the last few builds?

Thanks
Mathew

I noticed this also.
by podly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:52 am
dom wrote:
podly wrote:Hi,

Is there any chance to get rid of the annoying 'POP' noise at the beginning and end of each mp3? I can hear it only on analog stereo output, HDMI is fine. The same noise occurs at the beginning and end of each movie. I tried to deal with crossfade, but it didn't help too much. Maybe external USB sound card? Whether any cards are supported?

Anyway, thanks for this great project!

I've hopefully fixed this. Can you test? You should be able to just download start.elf and replace the one boot partition of your sdcard:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... /start.elf

Just test it. Analog output don't work and if I try to play mp3 with analog output XBMC hangs. HDMI is OK. There is no difference in xbmc.log between HDMI and Analog. Also XBMC can't respawn after I kill it via ssh due to hang - I have to reboot rasp.
by dom » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:40 am
podly wrote:Just test it. Analog output don't work and if I try to play mp3 with analog output XBMC hangs. HDMI is OK. There is no difference in xbmc.log between HDMI and Analog. Also XBMC can't respawn after I kill it via ssh due to hang - I have to reboot rasp.

Is this with OpenELEC 11392? If so can you try an earlier version, as I think that version is quite buggy?
by podly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:54 am
dom wrote:
podly wrote:Just test it. Analog output don't work and if I try to play mp3 with analog output XBMC hangs. HDMI is OK. There is no difference in xbmc.log between HDMI and Analog. Also XBMC can't respawn after I kill it via ssh due to hang - I have to reboot rasp.

Is this with OpenELEC 11392? If so can you try an earlier version, as I think that version is quite buggy?

I checked on 11376, 11380 and 11392. In 11392 analog work only on videos and also crashed when I started movie. 11380 and 11376 crashed on videos and movies. hdmi works ok on both. I checked on my compilations and sparky's.
by Goofy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:27 am
welshblob wrote:You can also check out the commits on the githubs which give some insight.

Rob

Is there way to match different commits towards the release numbers (r11394)?
by welshblob » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:53 am
Goofy wrote:
welshblob wrote:You can also check out the commits on the githubs which give some insight.

Rob

Is there way to match different commits towards the release numbers (r11394)?

Not that I'm aware of. I only matched up based on what Stephan (Stefan?) said in his release post as I was interesting in the overscan being fixed.

For those who are interested I believe this has fixed the odd behaviour of the video calibration function being on when you set it and on reboot being shrunk (in my case) as this appears to now work ok. However xbmc still doesn't seem to be aware of the config.txt overscan settings or take video calibration settings into account when playing videos i.e. they still overscan the screen. Gimli believed this was the Pi not returning the proper screen size to xbmc and was an issue that the foundation would need to fix.

Rob
by smuggly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:39 pm
How Do i set it up so i can see openelec from windows over the network? Seems like this was ok before? Thanks smuggly