OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)


1233 posts   Page 42 of 50   1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 50
by Alera » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:47 pm
Great work and it runs on all the sd cards I have tested so far. Also works great with Logitech k400 wireless keyboard and track pad !

Any chance compatability with lg simplink will be added to it so I can use my TV remote it would be perfect then. That and wifi out of the box !
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:45 pm
by keenan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:38 pm
Hands in the air, who can still reach there pi's over a windows network to update...

Everything seems to be going backwards now, no more overclock, no way of copying files to update folder as the pi is unreachable over ethernet..

Previous builds had non of these problems!!

Any advice?
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:59 pm
by hardwired2001 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:19 pm
keenan wrote:Hands in the air, who can still reach there pi's over a windows network to update...

Everything seems to be going backwards now, no more overclock, no way of copying files to update folder as the pi is unreachable over ethernet..

Previous builds had non of these problems!!

Any advice?


Download putty, log on to your pi and try and work out whats going wrong yourself. Google is your friend.
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:11 pm
by jamesdotpowell » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:12 pm
Hi! Firstly, sorry in advance if i have posted this in the wrong thread and secondly, sorry for being a noob. I have gone through the whole build process (14 hours on a run o' the mill netbook) and set up an SD card. It boots quickly to the OpenELEC / Raspi splash screen and then goes no further. I can type on the screen. To further this long post i downloaded one of the builds from a link in this forum and tried that too with the same result. I'm guessing there's a magic word (not abracadabra or open sesame) like in debian squeeze. Can anyone help? Mercy buckets :)
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:54 pm
by keenan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:23 pm
hardwired2001 wrote:Download putty, log on to your pi and try and work out whats going wrong yourself. Google is your friend.


Thanks for that bit of info! Obviously I have tried to "work it out myself" before I bothered asking here...
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:59 pm
by onetootreefor » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:07 pm
jamesdotpowell wrote:Hi! Firstly, sorry in advance if i have posted this in the wrong thread and secondly, sorry for being a noob. I have gone through the whole build process (14 hours on a run o' the mill netbook) and set up an SD card. It boots quickly to the OpenELEC / Raspi splash screen and then goes no further. I can type on the screen. To further this long post i downloaded one of the builds from a link in this forum and tried that too with the same result. I'm guessing there's a magic word (not abracadabra or open sesame) like in debian squeeze. Can anyone help? Mercy buckets :)


unlike debian there is no need to login to the cli as OpenELEC should just boot into xbmc automatically.
after it goes past the openelec splash screen try ssh'ing into your pi with username: 'root' pw: 'openelec' .
once youre in there you can run 'top' to see if the xbmc.bin is running. if its not then something is wrong with your build or sd card img
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 12:21 am
by hardwired2001 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:32 pm
keenan wrote:
hardwired2001 wrote:Download putty, log on to your pi and try and work out whats going wrong yourself. Google is your friend.


Thanks for that bit of info! Obviously I have tried to "work it out myself" before I bothered asking here...


What did you try??
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:11 pm
by LastSilmaril » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:47 pm
1) Looks like the Python nonsense was fixed yesterday or Sunday, which is good news.
2) Looks like pictures no longer show up scrambled on latest build.
3) I dunno about passthrough; haven't tried it yet.
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 8:16 pm
Location: New York, USA
by milhouse » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:53 pm
LastSilmaril wrote:2) Looks like pictures no longer show up scrambled on latest build.


Oh yes they do! :)
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm
by LastSilmaril » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:55 pm
milhouse wrote:
LastSilmaril wrote:2) Looks like pictures no longer show up scrambled on latest build.


Oh yes they do! :)


LOL, I just double-checked and found that sometimes they do. The incidence is much lower though; haven't found them doing that except for the big 'wallpaper' style backgrounds for TV shows.

EDIT: or not, just found it scrambled on a tv thumbnail. grr. will try to be more thorough and less hairtrigger going fwd.
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 8:16 pm
Location: New York, USA
by milhouse » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm
LastSilmaril wrote:LOL, I just double-checked and found that sometimes they do. The incidence is much lower though; haven't found them doing that except for the big 'wallpaper' style backgrounds for TV shows.

EDIT: or not, just found it scrambled on a tv thumbnail. grr. will try to be more thorough and less hairtrigger going fwd.


Haven't bothered loading TV Shows yet so can't comment there, but I get it with about 10% of movie cover art, but never fan art (so far). Some cover art displays fine the firs time, but then shows up scrambled when displayed a second time - wondering if there is some sort of race condition/corruption occurring?

Edit: I seem to get a higher incidence of scrambled images associated with files loaded over NFS (ie. from locally stored *.tbn files), with very few (if any) scrambled images for files downloaded from the internet - could scrambling be NFS related?
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm
by LastSilmaril » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:14 am
milhouse wrote:
Haven't bothered loading TV Shows yet so can't comment there, but I get it with about 10% of movie cover art, but never fan art (so far). Some cover art displays fine the firs time, but then shows up scrambled when displayed a second time - wondering if there is some sort of race condition/corruption occurring?

Edit: I seem to get a higher incidence of scrambled images associated with files loaded over NFS (ie. from locally stored *.tbn files), with very few (if any) scrambled images for files downloaded from the internet - could scrambling be NFS related?


Except I'm not using NFS, but SMB, and anyway, I'm not using pathsubstitution to change the Thumbnails directory anymore
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 8:16 pm
Location: New York, USA
by milhouse » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:22 am
LastSilmaril wrote:Except I'm not using NFS, but SMB, and anyway, I'm not using pathsubstitution to change the Thumbnails directory anymore


I'm no longer substituting the path either - the Thumbnails directory is now local on the SD card, but I have ".tbn" files alongside each movie on my NAS, and these are being picked up by the scanner then when the R-Pi goes to display one of the images it has to read it over NFS and resize it before writing it in an optimised format to the SD card. It does appear that the scrambled images correlate more strongly with those being read over NFS than http (which is used for those movies that don't have a tbn).

I'm currently in the process of backfilling my library, providing tbn files for all movies... it's taking me a while but when I get around to clearing the database and rescanning, it will be interesting to see if I get more or less scrambled images!
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm
by Daz555 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:46 am
Hi,

New to Pi, new to XBMC, new to OpenELEC.

Getting a simple setup of OpenELEC from an pre-prepped image was a doddle and have been impressed with OpenELEC running on Pi and it has played all of my movie rips without a hitch.

I have a couple of quick questions:

1. Can I manage my files within the OpenELEC GUI? For example I'd like to be able to use the GUI to copy a file from my NAS and onto the SD card or a USB stick. I've been poking around but can't find anything.

2. How to I stretch my playback (I have tried the options in the GUI whilst the movie is playing but nothing happens). I'm one of those people who actually prefers my 4:3 content stretched to fill the 16:9 screen - the fat heads don't bother me. Can't figure out how to do it however.
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:53 pm
by t-a-s » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:22 pm
Daz555 wrote:Hi,

New to Pi, new to XBMC, new to OpenELEC.

Getting a simple setup of OpenELEC from an pre-prepped image was a doddle and have been impressed with OpenELEC running on Pi and it has played all of my movie rips without a hitch.

I have a couple of quick questions:

1. Can I manage my files within the OpenELEC GUI? For example I'd like to be able to use the GUI to copy a file from my NAS and onto the SD card or a USB stick. I've been poking around but can't find anything.

2. How to I stretch my playback (I have tried the options in the GUI whilst the movie is playing but nothing happens). I'm one of those people who actually prefers my 4:3 content stretched to fill the 16:9 screen - the fat heads don't bother me. Can't figure out how to do it however.


1. Yes, there is a built in file manager; if you scroll across to "System" (from the main screen) then press down, you'll see it there. Just add your source on one side and set the destination on the other, then select the file(s) you want to transfer and bring up the context menu ('c' on the keyboard) and choose move/copy.

OpenELEC has samba sharing set up by default, so could just browse your local network (or type the IP of the Pi in) on your PC and you should find all the folders that are stored on the "Storage" partition, you can just drag and drop from the comfort of your PC.

2. Go to System > Video > Playback. There is an option there to choose how to display 4:3 videos, with a few different setting to choose from (I think you'll want "Stretch 16:9").

HTH
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:36 pm
by Daz555 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:53 pm
t-a-s wrote:1. Yes, there is a built in file manager; if you scroll across to "System" (from the main screen) then press down, you'll see it there. Just add your source on one side and set the destination on the other, then select the file(s) you want to transfer and bring up the context menu ('c' on the keyboard) and choose move/copy.

OpenELEC has samba sharing set up by default, so could just browse your local network (or type the IP of the Pi in) on your PC and you should find all the folders that are stored on the "Storage" partition, you can just drag and drop from the comfort of your PC.

2. Go to System > Video > Playback. There is an option there to choose how to display 4:3 videos, with a few different setting to choose from (I think you'll want "Stretch 16:9").

HTH

Big thanks - cheers! I try this when I get home tonight.
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:53 pm
by cpswan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:03 pm
r11300 just finished building. Release bundles and images here.
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 9:52 am
by milhouse » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:01 pm
milhouse wrote:
LastSilmaril wrote:Except I'm not using NFS, but SMB, and anyway, I'm not using pathsubstitution to change the Thumbnails directory anymore


I'm no longer substituting the path either - the Thumbnails directory is now local on the SD card, but I have ".tbn" files alongside each movie on my NAS, and these are being picked up by the scanner then when the R-Pi goes to display one of the images it has to read it over NFS and resize it before writing it in an optimised format to the SD card. It does appear that the scrambled images correlate more strongly with those being read over NFS than http (which is used for those movies that don't have a tbn).

I'm currently in the process of backfilling my library, providing tbn files for all movies... it's taking me a while but when I get around to clearing the database and rescanning, it will be interesting to see if I get more or less scrambled images!


OK squash that theory... 100% of my movies now have thumbnails (both cover art and fan art), and the incidence of scrambled images remains at about 10% (only ever cover art, never fan art) so I guess it's just random even though it seems more likely to affect Box Sets (which had locally stored set thumbs) than individual movies. Annoying, hope it gets fixed quick because once the corruption starts it seems to progressively become worse, until eventually the device locks up.
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm
by keenan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:10 pm
cpswan wrote:r11300 just finished building. Release bundles and images here.


Thanks alot... ;)
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:59 pm
by sparky0815 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:56 am
build r11300 Images (13.06.2012) ready to download

http://www.sparky0815.de

1,1GB / 2GB / 4GB Images and files of FAT partition to update

:geek:
Twitter: @Sparky0815
Facebook Gruppe (RaspberryPi - Deutschland): http://on.fb.me/PnYE99
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
User avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Germany
by HiggleBottom » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:25 am

a little more info is needed before i think anyone can give you a definitive answer..

doing it? doing what?

the actual error would be handy, not something like it!

Why? well something is going wrong....

at a total guess, I would suspect a file that is being unpacked is corrupt or incomplete... or maybe a folder that is being compressed is missing a few files that it is expecting to be there....

It happened after a long time of compiling (or what ever it's called) OpenELEC following the instructions on their website.The error was ~something~ failure status due to previous errors
~Something again~ error 2
Sorry I couldn't do the ~something~ bits, I couldnt remember them!
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:09 pm
by mathewjenkinson » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:28 am
TY Sparky :)

sparky0815 wrote:build r11300 Images (13.06.2012) ready to download

http://www.sparky0815.de

1,1GB / 2GB / 4GB Images and files of FAT partition to update

:geek:
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:13 am
by ScorpAL » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:52 pm
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:07 pm
by cpswan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:13 pm
ScorpAL wrote:Seems 11312 is ready

http://openelec.thestateofme.com/

That's the great thing about having an automated build. They just pop up there even when I'm busy on other stuff :)

I should probably set up some kind of alert so that I know when new ones are done.
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 9:52 am
by sraue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:41 pm
@ all with SD-card problems (and the ones without any problems too for sure):

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7167&start=200#p100321

Stephan
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 am
Location: Switzerland