OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

1233 posts   Page 1 of 50   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 50
by Kushan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:50 pm
Here's a heads up for anyone interested in running XBMC or similar on their Pi. OpenELEC, who previously announced support for the raspberry pi have made one more step to bringing that to reality by merging their development work into the public git repository.

The first Rasperry Pi's boards have been shipped to their new owners and in response to high demand for an OpenELEC/XBMC image we have merged our RPi development work into our public github repository. The OpenELEC RPi project code that you can download has already been run by the XBMC team on pre-production Raspberry Pi boards so we know it can be used to build a working system; although we also know there are some issues that need solving and the complete package needs optimising.

Once the OpenELEC developers get their hands on their own production boards we will release a pre-built and supported OpenELEC RPi image alongside our normal ION, Fusion, Ultra and AppleTV (etc.) builds.

http://openelec.tv/component/k.....-pi-part-1

There's quite a bit more there, those of you who have been trying to compile XBMC might want to take a look at it.
by nimdy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:35 pm
Thought I would give it a go. But:

PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make
./scripts/image
config/path: 17: -dumpmachine: not found
make: *** [system] Error 127

:(
by sraue » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:42 pm
be sure you have gcc and g++ installed, as well the 'which' command. see also http://wiki.openelec.tv/index......rom_source if you use ubuntu.

Stephan
by nimdy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:55 pm
Thanks I'll give that a go.
by dom » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:25 pm
I got:

configure:4990: error: no usable dependency style found

http://paste.ubuntu.com/943264/

./build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/zlib-1.2.6/zlib-host/configure.log
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by jbeale » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:17 pm
Not that I know anything about this, but are you attempting the build on the RasPi itself (not a cross-compile on a different platform?)  I read over at the OpenELEC site that they only do cross-compile themselves, due to the length of time required for the build (and maybe not actually owning all the target systems?)
by romland » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:54 pm
sraue said:

be sure you have gcc and g++ installed, as well the 'which' command. see also http://wiki.openelec.tv/index......rom_source if you use ubuntu.

Stephan

Giving it a whirl, half an hour in of building and it seems to be chewing along happily. :)
by sraue » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:58 pm
dom said:

I got:

you are sure it comes from zlib and you pasted configure.log from zlib? it dont matches with the files here (also configure of zlib has much more less then 4000 lines)?
by sraue » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:03 am
jbeale said:

Not that I know anything about this, but are you attempting the build on the RasPi itself (not a cross-compile on a different platform?)  I read over at the OpenELEC site that they only do cross-compile themselves, due to the length of time required for the build (and maybe not actually owning all the target systems?)

Hi,

we crosscompile because we produce builds for different architectures like 32bit and 64bit x86 builds with the same buildsystem. that has nothing todo with we dont have the boards.
by cvtj97 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:04 am
sraue said:

dom said:

I got:

you are sure it comes from zlib and you pasted configure.log from zlib? it dont matches with the files here (also configure of zlib has much more less then 4000 lines)?

Little over an hour here, so far so good :)
by obarthelemy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:14 am
I agree with the OP that while the hardware seems nice, software and, ideally services/support are what will make or break the Pi.

I'm semi-pessimistic about Linux too... let's say, very cautious...  because my own recent personal experience has shown Linux to be a lot less reliable than Windows, a lot harder to install/configure/tweak, and almost impossible to find good/relevant doc for. The learning curve is very steep... and seems very long too (I dropped out). I understand tweaking an OS is a fun and valuable skill by itself, but the Pi is targeted at kids and programming, so it should be able to do kids' stuff (games and media) and programming out of the box with no fussing with the OS at all.

Hopefully though, within a few months, at least one distro will be reasonably feature-complete (for both learning and fun) and reliable; and the community will stick around long enough to provide good docs and support for it. There's no reason why that can't happen, and it's understandable that we're not quite there yet.

My biggest worry is fragmentation, if for example the gaming geeks go with one distro, the programming ones with another, and the hardware hackers with a third. Since I expect polishing up + supporting one distro to be a lot of work, I'm worried about dupli- tripli- ore moreli-cating that effort.
by cvtj97 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:19 am
Anyone have this working yet?

Mine is done building, but not sure what to do next
by nimdy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:31 am
Nope mine failed on two machines. Out of disj space on one, and:

../include/ncurses_def.h:677:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}: Fatal error: can't close ../objects/fty_alnum.o: No space left on device
make[1]: *** [../objects/fty_alnum.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/steve/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/ncurses-5.7/form'
make: *** [system] Error 2

on the other. :(

[edit]

I've just read that error properly, and that is an out of space error too. I'll have to expand the disk on my Debian VM. How much space should compiling take?

I have expanded the disk in VMWare, but I'll have to read up on how to expand the partition in Linux.

My other machine is a low end VPS in the states. Unfortunately it only has a 10GB hard disk, which doesn't seem enough for it :(

Anyone willing to share their compiled binaries?
by RaTTuS » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:39 am
out of space - you need more space - attach a USB HD and from off there
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by nimdy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:14 am
Unfortunately I'm at work, so I'll have to do it later. I tried to do it remotely when I got into work, with the hope that it'll be ready for me when I get home later :) I can create a new HDD in VMWare, but I'm not sure how to format and mount it...
by gavinlew » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:31 am
Happily building currently using Linux Mint 12 , will share binaries once compiled if interested? Although setting up a build environment is great fun!.
by nimdy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:02 am
Fun? Its nerve racking! It takes me back to the days of installing Windows 95 as a clean install and having crossed fingers that it didnt error part way through, leaving me with a big beige paper weight! :p

I've set up a new VM in my break at work with a 50GB disk, so I'll see how that goes.

Out of interest with this compiling stuff. When I get the 'out of space' message, could I copy the whole git folder to somewhere with more space and carry on from there (and so save myself a couple of hours) or will it start from scratch?
by gavinlew » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:23 am
I remember back in the early Slackware days of compiling stuff from scratch, ./configure, make, make install :) *memories*

50GB should be enough to build, my OpenELEC.tv folder as its building is at 4.7Gb

Then just have to work out whats left to-do once its built :)
by gavinlew » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:24 am
nimdy said:

Out of interest with this compiling stuff. When I get the 'out of space' message, could I copy the whole git folder to somewhere with more space and carry on from there (and so save myself a couple of hours) or will it start from scratch?

Sorry forgot this bit of the reply - the process should be intelligent enough to pick up from where it failed , I encountered a missing library and after installing it, the build process continued.
by nimdy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:36 am
Thats good to know for next time. I would copy it down from my VPS into my local VM, but with my net connection it would probably take an hour to download.

I've started on the 50gig VM. Fingers crossed!

I'm certainly learning new things with all this Linux tinkering. :)
by gavinlew » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:51 am
:)

Its still building and I started at 10am this morning

Mind you im only using a Core 2 DUO E4500 @ 2.20GHz :(

But it may give others an idea of how much time to allow for a compile.
by sraue » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:52 am
nimdy said:

i would not do this, if you do, be sure the path is exactly like the old path, because the buildsystem creates files and stores the paths in this while building. i would reclone the git repo, and you can copy/move the sources/ folder into this to save some time for downloading.
by gavinlew » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:44 pm
gavinlew said:

:)

Its still building and I started at 10am this morning

Mind you im only using a Core 2 DUO E4500 @ 2.20GHz :(

But it may give others an idea of how much time to allow for a compile.

The builds stopped at the moment as it cannot connect to http://ftp.videolan.org :(
by cvtj97 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:09 pm
nimdy said:

Anyone willing to share their compiled binaries?

Sure, out of all the files it made what is needed?
by nimdy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:17 pm
Unless some smart person can help out here, I think its a wait for Part 2 of the guide to find out!