Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi


270 posts   Page 9 of 11   1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
by henle » Sat May 05, 2012 12:17 am
Abishur, that's odd, I never got that error.

Here is a more robust build:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6NiJGv5WtHMWkZ2RFNVR0lGTnM

Along with the steps to install it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IT12GuUlAQHGoFdiyQRtsbPTO33x2x-UZmfHou6vhu0/edit

It seems to work well, but it does cut a second or so off each end of the video.
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm
by abishur » Sat May 05, 2012 3:45 pm
henle said:


Abishur, that"s odd, I never got that error.

Here is a more robust build:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6NiJGv5WtHMWkZ2RFNVR0lGTnM

Along with the steps to install it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IT12GuUlAQHGoFdiyQRtsbPTO33x2x-UZmfHou6vhu0/edit

It seems to work well, but it does cut a second or so off each end of the video.


I'm still getting the exact same error message.  I started with an absolutely clean install and followed the instructions to a 'T', but it still fails :-(   Side note, in your instructions you say to copy the contents of /firmware/build to /build.  Did you mean /firmware/boot to /boot?

I don't know if it would be more trouble than it's worth, but if  you have the time maybe you put up the instructions for how you compiled it I could just compile it myself directly?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4280
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
by henle » Sat May 05, 2012 6:05 pm
Abishur said:


henle said:


Abishur, that"s odd, I never got that error.

Here is a more robust build:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6NiJGv5WtHMWkZ2RFNVR0lGTnM

Along with the steps to install it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IT12GuUlAQHGoFdiyQRtsbPTO33x2x-UZmfHou6vhu0/edit

It seems to work well, but it does cut a second or so off each end of the video.


I'm still getting the exact same error message.  I started with an absolutely clean install and followed the instructions to a 'T', but it still fails :-(   Side note, in your instructions you say to copy the contents of /firmware/build to /build.  Did you mean /firmware/boot to /boot?

I don't know if it would be more trouble than it's worth, but if  you have the time maybe you put up the instructions for how you compiled it I could just compile it myself directly?


Yes, sorry, it is supposed to be "boot", not "build. I think I know what's going on, though. Somehow, the symbolic links were not preserved when you extracted the archive. Did you use a Windows machine by any chance?
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm
by abishur » Sat May 05, 2012 6:08 pm
henle said:


Abishur said:


henle said:


Abishur, that"s odd, I never got that error.

Here is a more robust build:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6NiJGv5WtHMWkZ2RFNVR0lGTnM

Along with the steps to install it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IT12GuUlAQHGoFdiyQRtsbPTO33x2x-UZmfHou6vhu0/edit

It seems to work well, but it does cut a second or so off each end of the video.


I'm still getting the exact same error message.  I started with an absolutely clean install and followed the instructions to a 'T', but it still fails :-(   Side note, in your instructions you say to copy the contents of /firmware/build to /build.  Did you mean /firmware/boot to /boot?

I don't know if it would be more trouble than it's worth, but if  you have the time maybe you put up the instructions for how you compiled it I could just compile it myself directly?


Yes, sorry, it is supposed to be "boot", not "build. I think I know what's going on, though. Somehow, the symbolic links were not preserved when you extracted the archive. Did you use a Windows machine by any chance?



... I think I shall plead the fifth on this one :-P   Let me copy the full archive over to the machine then sudo tar xvf it and see if life doesn't work a little better for me ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4280
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
by abishur » Sat May 05, 2012 6:37 pm
Abishur said:

henle said:
Yes, sorry, it is supposed to be "boot", not "build. I think I know what's going on, though. Somehow, the symbolic links were not preserved when you extracted the archive. Did you use a Windows machine by any chance?

... I think I shall plead the fifth on this one :-P   Let me copy the full archive over to the machine then sudo tar xvf it and see if life doesn't work a little better for me ;-)


Okay, that was it!  Thanks so much Henle!

Dark_ph0enix said:


My Raspberry Pi arrived earlier today, and I've been playing around with it, mostly using the Debian distro - so far, very impressed.

Having browsed through the forums I found the Debian / XBMC image from a few pages back - burnt it to an SD card and it boots perfectly fine - I'm having a problem, however, with accessing media stored on a 16GB Flash drive.

If I boot into Debian via xstart, it's recognised, mounts and I can browse the content contained within it - but I can't get XBMC to recognise it for the life of me - any idea what I could be doing wrong? [It's also recognised during the initial boot cycle]


Okay, now that I got xbmc working again I can definitively answer this question.  You need to mount the drive before you load xbmc from the bash prompt.  While the gui (and windows, and Mac) auto mount devices so that you can actually use them, linux, however, does not do this.

While there are lots of good resources for learning how to do this, this basic format goes

sudo mount /dev/yourdevice /directory/to/mount/to

As an example I have an external hard drive that we'll call sda and I want to browse that hard drive everytime I go to the directory /media/harddrive so first I create the directory

sudo mkdir /media/harddrive

I want to actually be able to use this directory so I chmod the permissions.

sudo chmod 755 /media/harddrive

Then I mount the hard drive to the folder I just made.  Now I know for me that the drive I want is sda, but this might be different for you.  I can't mount the drive itself, I need to mount a specific partition on the drive, since there's only 1 partition, I'm going to use sda1

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/harddrive

I can now go to that directory

cd /media/harddrive

and see the contents of my hard drive.

This is rather off topic for the thread, but I know it's frustrating to not get answers.  If you need additional help with mounting please start a new thread in the absolute beginners sub forum and we can even discuss how to set up the drive to automount when you first turn it on so you don't have to do these steps ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4280
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
by frying_fish » Sat May 05, 2012 7:09 pm
So do we have a set of procedures actually (either native, or cross) compile a recent XBMC from github at all?  I ask merely as I'm now awaiting the arrival of my Pi (shipped within 7 working days so RS say), and wouldn't mind compiling it myself.

I've got a copy of the instructions from the first post in this thread, and I'm happy to grab the latest code from git. I guess if I've done that (and stick to the instructions in dom's post) that I should be able to compile from there? Are there any instructions that are missing from that document?

I suppose if we had a general set of instructions putting them up on the wiki page might prove useful?

I'm going to give openelec a shot as well, but would quite actually like to have a normal debian system underneath XBMC so that I can also use the Pi to do more than just XBMC.
User avatar
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:26 pm
by NickMon68 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:58 pm
Has any one tried playing Vobs on the Debian-XBMX release?

None of mine seem to work, is it supported ?
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:18 pm
by dom » Sun May 06, 2012 8:57 am
Vobs will use mpeg2 video codec which is not supported (due to codec licensing).
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 4035
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge
by pepedog » Sun May 06, 2012 9:58 am
I am trying to compile on an archlinux x86-64, and get this error

libtool: relink: /home/dave/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi-gcc -std=gnu99 -shared  -fPIC -DPIC  .libs/cache.o .libs/dev.o .libs/devname.o .libs/devno.o .libs/getsize.o .libs/llseek.o .libs/probe.o .libs/read.o .libs/resolve.o .libs/save.o .libs/tag.o .libs/version.o .libs/verify.o .libs/encode.o .libs/config.o .libs/evaluate.o .libs/blkdev.o .libs/linux_version.o .libs/canonicalize.o .libs/md5.o .libs/crc32.o .libs/env.o .libs/strutils.o .libs/at.o .libs/sysfs.o  -Wl,--whole-archive superblocks/.libs/libblkid_superblocks.a topology/.libs/libblkid_topology.a partitions/.libs/libblkid_partitions.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive  -L/home/dave/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/sysroot/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -luuid  -march=armv6zk -mcpu=arm1176jzf-s -mabi=aapcs-linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfp -O3 -Wl,--version-script=../../libblkid/src/blkid.sym -march=armv6zk -mtune=arm1176jzf-s -Wl,--as-needed -O3   -Wl,-soname -Wl,libblkid.so.1 -o .libs/libblkid.so.1.1.0
/usr/lib/libgcc_s.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
libtool: install: error: relink `libblkid.la' with the above command before installing it
make[6]: *** [install-usrlib_execLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[6]: Leaving directory `/home/dave/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/util-linux-2.21.1/libblkid/src'

Wonder why it's picking up an 86 binary?
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:55 am
by NickMon68 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:44 pm
dom said:


Vobs will use mpeg2 video codec which is not supported (due to codec licensing).



Thanks Dom for the update
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:18 pm
by obi » Mon May 07, 2012 12:05 am
pepedog said:


I am trying to compile on an archlinux x86-64, and get this error

libtool: relink: /home/dave/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi-gcc -std=gnu99 -shared  -fPIC -DPIC  .libs/cache.o .libs/dev.o .libs/devname.o .libs/devno.o .libs/getsize.o .libs/llseek.o .libs/probe.o .libs/read.o .libs/resolve.o .libs/save.o .libs/tag.o .libs/version.o .libs/verify.o .libs/encode.o .libs/config.o .libs/evaluate.o .libs/blkdev.o .libs/linux_version.o .libs/canonicalize.o .libs/md5.o .libs/crc32.o .libs/env.o .libs/strutils.o .libs/at.o .libs/sysfs.o  -Wl,--whole-archive superblocks/.libs/libblkid_superblocks.a topology/.libs/libblkid_topology.a partitions/.libs/libblkid_partitions.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive  -L/home/dave/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/sysroot/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -luuid  -march=armv6zk -mcpu=arm1176jzf-s -mabi=aapcs-linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfp -O3 -Wl,--version-script=../../libblkid/src/blkid.sym -march=armv6zk -mtune=arm1176jzf-s -Wl,--as-needed -O3   -Wl,-soname -Wl,libblkid.so.1 -o .libs/libblkid.so.1.1.0
/usr/lib/libgcc_s.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
libtool: install: error: relink `libblkid.la' with the above command before installing it
make[6]: *** [install-usrlib_execLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[6]: Leaving directory `/home/dave/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/util-linux-2.21.1/libblkid/src'

Wonder why it's picking up an 86 binary?


I am also getting this.

Archlinux x86_64 aswell
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 11:01 pm
by s7mx1 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:43 pm
Compiling xbmc straight out of xbmc-rbp git repository seems too be problematic for me as well. I ended up with openelec.

Openelec works quite well with raspberry pi apart from the 90% cpu usage during idle bug. Not good for prime time but good enough for testing and mess around/
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:28 am
by Rattor » Thu May 10, 2012 2:00 am
henle said:


Abishur, that"s odd, I never got that error.

Here is a more robust build:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6NiJGv5WtHMWkZ2RFNVR0lGTnM

Along with the steps to install it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IT12GuUlAQHGoFdiyQRtsbPTO33x2x-UZmfHou6vhu0/edit

It seems to work well, but it does cut a second or so off each end of the video.


I followed the instructions on that google doc, and after typing in the final command (sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=...), I get the following error: "vchiq_lib: Very incompatible VCHIQ library – cannot retrieve driver version". What do I need to do to update the libraries to the proper format so that XBMC will launch?
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:50 am
by dom » Thu May 10, 2012 9:19 am
You need the linking to be done with same version of firmware as running system.
Make sure build machine can see latest /opt/vc/lib and relink. Then make sure Pi has latest start.elf and /opt/vc/lib.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 4035
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge
by Mad-Halfling » Mon May 14, 2012 11:30 pm
Just an additional point: the issue where playback ends about 1 minute early doesn't seem to be network related - I had this problem and copied some videos onto the SDCard to play them directly, but it still ends the video playback early.
Cheers - MH
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:54 pm
by dom » Tue May 15, 2012 9:32 am
Videos finishing early was fixed a couple of weeks ago (as well as many other improvements).
I'd recommend OpenELEC where the builds are more frequent.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 4035
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge
by guisacouto » Sat May 19, 2012 9:28 pm
Has anyone made a PKGBUILD for arch? That would be great!

best regards!
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:46 am
by pepedog » Sat May 19, 2012 10:11 pm
guisacouto wrote:Has anyone made a PKGBUILD for arch? That would be great!

no.
The openelec build can now be done on Archlinux x86-64.
Takes 68 minutes on an i7
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:55 am
by AndiDog » Sat May 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Got XBMC to work with Debian as outlined in the Google document posted above. (The dirty regions feature does not work yet.)

For videos that don't fill the screen (16:9 in my case), virtual terminal 1 is shown in the background instead of filling that with black letterbox bars. Any way to change this?

Note: If I play a 16:9 video once, the screen is cleared and any following videos of different aspect ratio are displayed with black bars. Also found this FAQ, but I don't see that setting in my XBMC version (Eden).
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:01 pm
by guisacouto » Sun May 20, 2012 2:42 am
pepedog wrote:
guisacouto wrote:Has anyone made a PKGBUILD for arch? That would be great!

no.
The openelec build can now be done on Archlinux x86-64.
Takes 68 minutes on an i7


Yes, but I don't wan't to use openelec. I wan't to use just arch, so a pkgbuild would be nice..
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:46 am
by rahduke » Wed May 30, 2012 2:59 am
thanks so much to Liam for his great XBMC image, after some initial headaches getting my wifi http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6256 adapters working its running great. Thanks to MrEngmann from that post.

For the record, this is the only solution I've found for getting wifi working w/ XBMC, openelec was too much trouble and RASPBMC doesn't have enough wifi bits in it's image. Works great, hope Liam or one of you smart guys continues this project and optimizes XBMC to work even faster!
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:56 pm
by ScoobyDoo » Wed May 30, 2012 6:27 am
Got to say myself that Liam's image is excellent.
Working great over wifi, so far it's played most movies I've thrown at it without trouble and AirPlay is also working fine.
I find the menu pretty snappy, it's one of the best and most stable builds.
Raspbmc was giving all sorts of memory card errors.

Hopefully Liam can return to this and give us an
Updated image.
User avatar
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm
Location: Staffordshire, UK
by Mad-Halfling » Wed May 30, 2012 8:48 am
I'm pretty sure that was just a quick build as an interrim measure, until builds like OpenELEC and RaspBMC got going. Sam (the RaspBMC developer) is currently looking for people who are having problems with SD Cards and RaspBMC so you might do well contacting him:-
https://twitter.com/SamNazarko/status/207720065452343296
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:54 pm
by abishur » Thu May 31, 2012 2:47 pm
I hope not! I don't really like openELEC or raspbmc (no offense). I'd love a guide with instructions for the linux newbie to be able to compile off the github so we don't have to rely on others, but that's just me ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4280
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
by gimli » Thu May 31, 2012 2:59 pm
abishur wrote:I hope not! I don't really like openELEC or raspbmc (no offense). I'd love a guide with instructions for the linux newbie to be able to compile off the github so we don't have to rely on others, but that's just me ;-)


You have the howto for debian in the first post of this thread. Compiling complex projects like XBMC is not ment for newbies. Thats where distributions or prebuild packges jump in. Otherwise you have to take the howto and adapt it to your distribution of choice.
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:29 am