Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

270 posts   Page 5 of 11   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11
by liamfraser280 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:18 pm
dom said:

Turn off the "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" if it is giving you problems.

Enable HDMI passthrough if possible - it allows much harder clips to play.

Just wanted to bump these couple of tips from dom that I found useful.

The refresh rate one helped because XBMC would mess up it's size after stopping a video.
by Tavalin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:48 pm
Any ideas why I have no audio over HDMI when watching movies yet I get sound over HDMI when playing music (AirPlay)?
by dom » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:00 pm
@Tavalin I"d look carefully at audio passthrough and number of channels in xbmc settings.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Tavalin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Cheers dom.

I tried a few TV shows and noticed that I can hear the audio through HDMI on those.  So I went into the settings and noticed that AC3 capable receiver and something else was checked.  I unchecked them and was able to get some from the videos.
by Blunderbuss » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:06 am
Since there isn't a binary yet, would it be possible to somehow copy our current, personal debian rootfs over to the one you made containing xmbc? That way we could retain everything we did, and gain xbmc?
by liamfraser280 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:13 am
Probably easier to copy the xbmc binaries (in the /opt folder) over to your Debian image and install what it says in doms instructions (the on the Pi parts. You'll also need the newer stdlibc++ from my image)
by Blunderbuss » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:17 am
Oh that all sounds good - I just need to figure out how to do it! If anyone would be kind enough to post the binaries, that would be awesome. Otherwise I'll take a crack at that copying!
by EpWoody » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:07 am
Copying the binaries to a tarball won't do you much good, you need do follow pretty much the entire "tutorial".

After I've build my version of XBMC I've copied the contents of /opt/xbmc-bcm to the same folder on my debian6 image on a SD card. Boots a lot faster and doesn't depend on my ubuntu pc anymore.

I'm now compiling XBMC with Alsa support (since I want to use my external soundcard with optical out) and OpenELEC.tv at the moment. Stresstest anyone? :)

If you don't got a linuxpc you can just download a Ubuntu Desktop iso, and install it to a file/folder on your windows pc and dualboot into it. The thrill of compiling your own version of XBMC is just priceless!
by Blunderbuss » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:10 am
I tried all day today with a virtual machine to compile it myself, following the tutorials and all...so I think I shall perhaps just copy it from the posted image...
by gimli » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:45 am
nimdy said:

Using Liams image, has anyone experienced XBMC loading in a tiny corner of the screen? I'm thinking it's something to do with my confix.txt as I have to force it to recognise HDMI (hdmi_force_hotplug) and set a video format (hdmi_group=2, hdmi_mode=57)

If Liams image contained a guisettings.xml delete it. At a first time start it can give wrong setup values which do not fit to your setup.

@dom:

It looks like the detection code for this HDMI setup is not working. I suspect XBMC is not able to find HDMI modes too.
by nimdy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:05 am
I think my display is being awkward to the Pi and its hardware/OS's.

I tried running OpenELEC last night using the instructions on the General board. Boots fine but again started in a tiny corner of the screen. By squinting and sitting an inch away from the screen I was able to navigate the menus and find the calibration setup.

The calibration setup has got me a slightly larger window on the screen, but it will not go any larger (gone from an eighth of the screen, to about a quarter).

The system info menu in XBMC is reporting 720x480, but the TV itself is reporting 1280x720 at the moment, but previously I had it at native resolution 1680x1050 using different config.txt options.

Is this likely to me my hardware, or something in the start.elf / config.txt?
by EpWoody » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:18 am
Try to press \ might give you fullscreen :)

It worked for me :)
by gerkenz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:33 am
OpenELEC with "new" tutorial for RPi:

http://openelec.tv/component/k.....-pi-part-2

and download link to an ready build image ( see posts ). :-)
by Tavalin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:18 am
I've tried both the OpenELEC version (created myself following their instructions) and Liam's debian image and the OpenELEC menu's seem much more laggy than the debian version – anyone else experienced this?
by dom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:26 am
@gimli Welcome to the forum. For those who don"t know, Gimli is from XBMC and has provided the vast majority of the work in making XBMC on R-Pi happen.

@nimdy possibly it is a bad value in guisettings.xml, so try deleting that (it will be recreated).
It"s possible XBMC doesn"t play well when forcing a non-preferred HDMI mode. If you still have a problem after deleting guisettings.xml then post your EDID dump (with tvservice) and the xbmc.log and I"ll look into it.
by nimdy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:34 am
dom said:

@gimli Welcome to the forum. For those who don"t know, Gimli is from XBMC and has provided the vast majority of the work in making XBMC on R-Pi happen.

@nimdy possibly it is a bad value in guisettings.xml, so try deleting that (it will be recreated).
It"s possible XBMC doesn"t play well when forcing a non-preferred HDMI mode. If you still have a problem after deleting guisettings.xml then post your EDID dump (with tvservice) and the xbmc.log and I"ll look into it.

Thanks Dom. I'll try that later. As usual work gets in the way of my play time! :(

Oh and thanks for all your work Gimli :)
by Blunderbuss » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:42 pm
Liam Fraser said:

Probably easier to copy the xbmc binaries (in the /opt folder) over to your Debian image and install what it says in doms instructions (the on the Pi parts. You'll also need the newer stdlibc++ from my image)

Where would I find the newer stdlibc++ ?

Edit: Rather, I found them in /usr/lib - but do I just copy them to the same folder on my Debian install? Or do I need to install them somehow?
by abishur » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:46 pm
I decided to be lazy and use the xbmc image Liam put together, but for some reason it keeps freezing when playing my mkv files.  I encoded with h.264 so they start off just fine, but then they lock up after about 30 seconds (maybe after initial buffering?), my avi fiels work just fine though.  Is there a codec I need to install for xbmc to work correctly with my mkv files?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by dom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:02 pm
Might be worth trying the OpenELEC image, just in case it's a build issue (probably is not).

(There's an sdcard image link here http://openelec.tv/component/k.....-pi-part-2).

There are no codecs to install. If it started playing, then the codecs are there. XBMC for R-Pi only has hardware video codecs built in. There is no software video codec to fall back on.

Bug reports need to be:

Post Mediainfo for file.

Enable debugging. Play the file. Post xbmc.log to pastebin.

Upload a sample (e.g. 100MB. Dropbox is a good place to put) that exhibits the problem.
by nimdy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:15 pm
dom said:

Hi Dom,

I've had a play around with deleting the guisettings file, but it still comes back up the same, in about an 8th of the screen. The calibration will let me make it bigger, but only to a quarter of the screen (the resizing keeps going, but doesnt fill the screen).

I did an edid dump a while back, I hope its still valid:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5170394/edid.dat

And here is the xbmc log with a fresh card with no config.txt or guisettings file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5170394/xbmc.log

I would love to get this working. So far i haven't been able to get anything working properly except the Debain image and wireless.
by abishur » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:20 pm
I'll post the whole thing pastebin in a minute, but here's the lines of code that stood out to me immediately, it appears immediately after the video playing begins

DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::Initialize OMX.broadcom.image_decode input port 320 output port 321
DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::Initialize OMX.broadcom.resize input port 60 output port 61
DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::Initialize OMX.broadcom.egl_render input port 220 output port 221
DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::AllocInputBuffers component(OMX.broadcom.image_decode) - iport(320), nBufferCountMin(2), nBufferCountActual(3), nBufferSize(81920), nBufferAlignmen(16)
DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Pointer.xml) ------
DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (VideoOSD.xml) ------
DEBUG: Thread Jobworker 1249899584 terminating (autodelete)
DEBUG: Thread Jobworker 1286325312 terminating (autodelete)
DEBUG: Thread Jobworker 1239831616 terminating (autodelete)
INFO: LIRC Initialize: using: /dev/lircd
DEBUG: Failed to connect to LIRC. Giving up.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by abishur » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:44 pm
Full log on pastebin

How do I get the media info off the file?

I know that I was the one who encoded it using handbreak, it's an mkv file that uses h.264, AAC for the audio, I made an mP4 video using the exact same setting and it worked no problem.  I chose mkv because I wanted to have the subtitles built into the video
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by dom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:16 pm
Any chance it failed when subtitle appeared? Can you disable subtitles before it dies and see if that makes a difference? (or you can disable subtitles on another video and say apply to all)

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
by abishur » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:50 pm
dom said:

Any chance it failed when subtitle appeared? Can you disable subtitles before it dies and see if that makes a difference? (or you can disable subtitles on another video and say apply to all)

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

hmm... I remember there being some discussion on the xbmc forums about subtitles in mkvs now that you mention it... but I'm not sure how long ago that was.

Okay I can play a *really* old Flash Gordon (that didn't have any subtitle options) and it works just fine, but when I play any of the other files (the ones with subtitles) it freezes as soon as the subtitles would come on, but there's no subtitle option displayed. :-(   Still, this is an xbmc problem more than an R-pi one I believe.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by gimli » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:08 pm
Abishur said:

Still, this is an xbmc problem more than an R-pi one I believe.

In this case it wi'll be more the PI ports fault. Maybe it is fixed with the player rework i do here.