Pi, XBMC, HDMI audio - and Samsung monitor

8 posts
by ps_bond » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:20 pm
On the offchance... Does anyone have an up-to-date version of XBMC running on a Pi with audio over HDMI working connected to a Samsung monitor or TV?

This used to work a couple of months ago; I've upgraded recently and can no longer persuade it to function. The monitor (with audio) works with an MHL device or a camera connected via HDMI - the Pi only seems to output successfully on analogue.

I've tried both RaspBMC and OpenElec in the last week, neither wants to play nicely. tvservice recognises the monitor is PCM capable, but that's as far as it goes. Config options for AC3 & DTS are unchecked, so there's no expectation of the monitor decoding that.
Peter
by castalla » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:22 pm
Xbian and Samsung smartTV working - but I disable CEC which is a pain.
by ps_bond » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:28 pm
I ought to check Xbian too, thank you for the reminder.

I'll have a look at the CEC settings; I hadn't thought to look at that as it's just a monitor...

Given there's a fair few installs out there working properly, I'm left with the probable outcomes of a) there's some incompatibility between the current XBMC & Samsung monitor(s?) (I've seen a few comments while googling about Samsung issues) or b) I'm not capable of setting the audio to HDMI, 2 channel, decode entirely on the RasPi.

I'll be most taken aback if it is b) :)
Peter
by ps_bond » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:43 pm
OK, CEC switched off...
No change.
Peter
by castalla » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 pm
Time to try Xbian? At least, as a test ...
by ripping » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:03 am
I am setting a raspi as a media unit in the slumber room, connected to a 40" Samsung TV.
My first installation was Raspbian, and everything appears to work fine, including (hdmi) sound.
My next trial is/was xbmc. I have installed and updated - already experienced 3 lockups of the system while configuring :? I've not got to the stage of testing video/sound yet though.
But... at least you know Raspbian is functional with Samsung TV's. I'll update when I have progressed further with my testing.
by ripping » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:34 pm
Well I have ditched the possibility of using xbian, as a further 5 solid lock ups of the system have left me disillusioned.
These lock ups have all been from one of the setting or config screens within xbmc. My pi operates fine with raspbmc at a modest 800MHz, but even after dropping back to stock clock for xbian, it still doesn't play ball. The pi has been inaccessible through ssh when locked up.
No use flogging a dead horse, I'll try openelec next to see if that does me as well as raspbian does.
by ps_bond » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 pm
Argh... Went through the monitor's settings. The HDMI port I was using has a default of DVI input mode. DVI doesn't support audio IIRC. Switch it to AV mode and I have audio again...
Peter