Netflix on Raspbmc

42 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by Wall86 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:45 pm
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let people know that I am currently working on getting Netflix to run (And run smoothly) on a Raspberry Pi using Raspbmc.

So far, I do have audio and video playing, quality could be FAR better, but it is working.

How I am getting it too work so far:
PlayOn server (This is required, but there is a 14 day free trial, just download it and use it)
Raspberry Pi
IR Remote, I am currently using a standard Windows remote that came with a Zotac E-450 barebones PC
Class 10 SD Card, or a slower card and a fast USB Stick (Initial testing done on SD Card, testing SD Card/USB Combo now)
MPEG-2 License (This is for playing the Playon stream)

It is a fairly standard setup, I will be posting a step-by-step on my blog, and can link that here.

There are some minor issues with quality, and if you do not have a wall wart with enough amperage it gets very stuttery.

Also, please note that the Playon server can stream Netflix, Hulu, bunch of other things to any DLNA compliant device. It is limited to 480P streaming, but better then nothing. Definitely worth the $40 (on sale) if you have other XBMC HTPC's and want to integrate Netflix right into XBMC.
by Wall86 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:00 pm
Managed to get video and everything else playing nice and smooth.

On a fresh raspmc install (Class 10 SDHC Card), add the MPEG2 encoder to config.txt. Do a quick sudo apt-get update, then sudo apt-get install ffmpeg. Once ffmpeg is installed, sudo reboot, and test the Playon DLNA Stream. Better quality picture (Still stuck around 480P though).

Only issue I am still having is some random pauses when playing back some 1080P files, but that might be a monster for another day.

I will get the step-by-step guide up when I am done work tonight.
by soad1982 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:20 pm
Sound really cool, I was wondering my self how to accomplished that.

Please share your how to guide!.

soad1982
by Wall86 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:42 am
Sorry about that, did not see very much interest so I did not put it very high on my priority list!

Here is the link, please either comment there, or in this thread (I am getting updates on new posts) and I will do my best to help anyone out!

Blog post: http://beepc.ca/how-to-netflix-on-raspberry-pi/
by BrotherMalice » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:39 pm
This sounds like a great idea, will be 1 of my 1st projects after I order 1 :)
by DougieFresh » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:46 am
I had the follow conversation with netflix support:

Netflix Customer Services
Doug: Hi I am Doug

Rona: Nice to meet you Doug! How are you doing today?

Doug: I am good thank you, How are you? How can I watch Netflix from my raspberry Pi? Is it something Netflix are working on?

Rona: I checked through all my resources and what I seen is that we are not supported in Raspberry Pi just yet, but good news is that we are definitely working on getting that supported ASAP! We very much want you to be able to watch in whatever manor is most comfortable for you. We are still in the process of coding all our devices to be compatible with our new regions. I wouldn't be surprised to see it up and running on your Raspberry Pi in no time. The only thing we don't have an exact time frame but I know we work pretty rapidly so it should be in no time at all!

So... not long now :)
by piglet » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:34 am
What's the betting you could have had this conversation:

"
Netflix Customer Services
Doug: Hi I am Doug

Rona: Nice to meet you Doug! How are you doing today?

Doug: I am good thank you, How are you? How can I watch Netflix from my Ham Sandwich? Is it something Netflix are working on?

Rona: I checked through all my resources and what I seen is that we are not supported in Ham Sandwich just yet, but good news is that we are definitely working on getting that supported ASAP! We very much want you to be able to watch in whatever manor is most comfortable for you. We are still in the process of coding all our devices to be compatible with our new regions. I wouldn't be surprised to see it up and running on your Ham Sandwich in no time. The only thing we don't have an exact time frame but I know we work pretty rapidly so it should be in no time at all!
"
by rurwin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:52 am
The same thought crossed my mind, although I was considering watching on my Pet Dog.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by DougieFresh » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:02 am
that said, the Pi and a Pico projector and I could be watching Netflix on my ham sandwich in no time!
by Jessie » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:06 pm
With 1M R Pi sold you would think that some of these companies would have some fire lit under their asses. 1M is likely more devices than Roku sold.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Wall86 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 pm
I am assuming Netflix really has to Cover their behinds, they have some incredibly strict contracts from the movie industry. This has been why they have had such stringent requirements with Silverlight. Then again, there is an Android app, which I assume does not use Silverlight (They can still lock it down easily though)

Does Netflix have a publicly accessible API? Or do you need to apply to get the API? I am surprised nobody has tried to homebrew a native Netflix client for Linux in general....
by ghans » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:01 pm
AFAIK DRM is a cornerstone of Nerflix , and DRM support
for Moonlight isn't really there ...

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by m4f1050 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:13 pm
Hmmm, I was reading on being able to play PLEX on Raspberry PI, if I can play both PLEX and Netflix that would be cool. I can already stream 1080p via ethernet and don't require PLEX or a client locally, but remotely would be a nice feature. Anybody have gotten these 2 working yet? What I am wondering is if it was worth it buying this Raspberry PI when I can get an Android TV (with RK3066 chip) for like $10 ~ $20 more and plays everything flawlessly even at 1080p (mk808 or ug007 both work for me) but I want to use this RPi and not let it sit doing nothing...
by ghans » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:10 am
What does "remotely" mean ?
What is the server and what the client ?
Where are they located ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by meteorainer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:49 am
You guys may want to seriously consider looking here:

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere- ... rview.html

The esxi hypervisor is SUPER thin and could easily host an image on an external media source for when you are required (by DRM for instance) to run windows.

Netflix is a prime example. Moonlight could easily run netflix, but DRM is stopping it.

Running esxi you can framelessly emulate a single window....like for instance a browser window :)
by ghans » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:47 am
I seriously doubt that this is going to run on a
700 Mhz ARMv6 core :roll: .
And even then , screencasting sucks if you don't use dedicated
hardware. Or don't have the latest multicore beast.

ghans
by malakai » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:49 pm
Have you tried sending a Pi to the owners of Netflix
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by smstext » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:52 pm
one thing is for sure, as soon as netflixs appears on raspberry pi i wont be needing my apple tv no more. :lol:
by Oysterville » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:41 am
meteorainer wrote:You guys may want to seriously consider looking here:

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere- ... rview.html

The esxi hypervisor is SUPER thin and could easily host an image on an external media source for when you are required (by DRM for instance) to run windows.

Netflix is a prime example. Moonlight could easily run netflix, but DRM is stopping it.

Running esxi you can framelessly emulate a single window....like for instance a browser window :)

Even though a vmware server might run on a Pi, you are still requiring the Pi to run the Windows OS within it. That is simply not going to happen, let alone run Netflix on top of that as well.

Keep in mind that there are multitudes more people who run linux who would want Netflix to run in that environment, and Netflix hasn't replied with any sort of way to run it there. The only way that you will see Netflix run on a Pi is if Netflix puts their engineers onto creating such a solution, and that sadly is not likely.
Google is a helluva drug.
by giac0m0 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/11/sams ... streaming/

Does this mean that Netflix would work by going to the website, using Debian on a Pi?
by ghans » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:47 pm
Chrome OS is not Chromium OS.
The Samsung 5250 is not the Broadcom 2835.
I don't see why this should change anything on Raspbian (!)
or the Pi.

ghans
by Oysterville » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:56 pm
As you can already watch Netflix on Android phones, it's not surprising that you can also watch it on Chromebooks. The Android OS already has the innards (pronounced "DRM") necessary to run Netflix.

I really don't know if the effort to get the Android OS working on the Pi will resolve this.
Google is a helluva drug.
by sej7278 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:00 pm
Jessie wrote:With 1M R Pi sold you would think that some of these companies would have some fire lit under their asses. 1M is likely more devices than Roku sold.

there's a lot more linux desktops that 1M and netflix doesn't work there either. don't expect it any time soon, they only deal with closed systems
by renejensendanmark » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:37 pm
by ghans » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:52 pm
Needs WINE , so no.

ghans