SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

488 posts   Page 11 of 20   1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20
by Ian_Smith » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:18 am
Thomas,

A question and a point.

First the question. Exactly what do you put for the static IP details on common home routers? I've been trying to move from DHCP to a static address, but that requires entering all the details. Now the static IP address I want, the gateway, and the DNS are fine, but what do I put for the others? I both don't understand what those middle two are for, or what they are on a home system.

What I DO know is if I try to change them, everything goes haywire.

Second, the point. Have you looked at Serviio as a Media Server for Squeezeplug? I've been trying to set up a workable DLNA server, but MediaTomb gives you no practical control over what gets indexed from where, MiniDLNA is too simple, and Twonky is a paid option. Whilst Serviio is far from perfect, it IS free, runs on Linux, and has some reasonable support/tools. Maybe worth a look?
by truehl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:45 am
Ian_Smith wrote:Thomas,

A question and a point.

First the question. Exactly what do you put for the static IP details on common home routers? I've been trying to move from DHCP to a static address, but that requires entering all the details. Now the static IP address I want, the gateway, and the DNS are fine, but what do I put for the others? I both don't understand what those middle two are for, or what they are on a home system.

What I DO know is if I try to change them, everything goes haywire.

Second, the point. Have you looked at Serviio as a Media Server for Squeezeplug? I've been trying to set up a workable DLNA server, but MediaTomb gives you no practical control over what gets indexed from where, MiniDLNA is too simple, and Twonky is a paid option. Whilst Serviio is far from perfect, it IS free, runs on Linux, and has some reasonable support/tools. Maybe worth a look?

IP Address. the IP-Address of the RPi
Netmask normally 255.255.255.0
Network Address the first Address of your LAN, if your IP is 192.168.2.100 and your Netmask is 255.255.255.0 the LAN address is 192.168.2.0
Broadcast Address in the example above 192.168.2.255
Gateway your router address
DNS Server normally you router address

Your are right, in a normal home LAN you won't need some of these settings, but in others you will, I think about make it a bit easier!

Serviio sounds good, but did you found a way to install it on RPi?
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by ypout » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 pm
Hi

Can someone please tell me how to get album art displayed on my Squuezebox remote app on my Iphone?

I'm using the Logitech app from the App store, with squeeze plug 5.05 and squeezeslave.

When I browse albums I can see an empty box where the album art should be but no images. I have tried putting the album art file in the folder with the applicable album but that didn't work.

Is there a particular file format or location I should using? Can squeeze box be configured to pull the art from the internet somehow?

Thanks
by truehl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:57 pm
ypout wrote:Hi

Can someone please tell me how to get album art displayed on my Squuezebox remote app on my Iphone?

I'm using the Logitech app from the App store, with squeeze plug 5.05 and squeezeslave.

When I browse albums I can see an empty box where the album art should be but no images. I have tried putting the album art file in the folder with the applicable album but that didn't work.

Is there a particular file format or location I should using? Can squeeze box be configured to pull the art from the internet somehow?

Thanks

For me it works if I have a "Folder.jpg" in each album folder and if the album art is integrated in the tags of each file!
truehl
by StephenR » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 pm
Is anyone else still experiencing noise on the headphone output? I'm using the Netgear N150 WiFi dongle. When it is paused or the music is very quiet, there is still some interference caused by the WiFi. It was way worse when using another dongle.

My understanding is that many have a similar setup without a powered hub. Is that true or am I just being a bit sensitive about the noise?

Any help appreciated.

cheers,

Stephen
by CaptInsano » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:10 pm
Thomas,

Thank you so much for your work on SqueezePlug!! I am a huge fan of the software.

I am having one problem however I was hoping someone else could test and report back on:

I have my Pi running the Oct 18th firmware, running SqueezePlug 5.05 (all updated) with LMS (running perfectly) and SqueezeLite player.

After I install Shairport and play something from iTunes to Shairport it works, but if I stop iTunes and then try to play something from LMS through SqueezeLite there is a terrible distortion of the audio that I can only fix with a reboot. As a result I have uninstalled Shairport and cannot have Shairport and SqueezeLite installed side-by-side like I could Shairport and SqueezeSlave.

Can anyone confirm, and any Ideas on a solution?

Thanks again,
The Capt.
by kaijoe » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:04 am
Hi,

I had a problem that /sp/scripts/sp.ini contains wrong entries. UPDATE_CURRENT had 504 while I updated already to 505. The next strange thing was that DEVICE had the value raspberr0 instead of raspberry. Yesterday I tried to fix this. After I worked a while with squeezeplug and I tried to edit /sp/scripts/sp.ini, squeezeplug crashed and could not write to SD-Card. After reboot, squeezeplug told me it could not find root fs to mount. So I had to format the SD-Card. Once the card was formatted I noticed that it has only 3.69 GB instead of 3.95 GB.
What is wrong with this Card. Should I do a low level format with this card? Has this card possibly corrupted sectors? It is a Micro SD-Card. Should I use normal SD-Cards instead of Micro-SD Cards?
I know this is not the right Forum to discuss Hardware stuff. But maybe someone has a good idea.
However, I haven't any other SD-Card yesterday, I reused this Card and now the RPi Squeezeplug stuff is up and running again.

Best regards,
Kai
by ypout » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:43 am
truehl wrote:
ypout wrote:Hi

Thanks

For me it works if I have a "Folder.jpg" in each album folder and if the album art is integrated in the tags of each file!

Thanks for the reply Thomas,

I have tried files with both the album art embedded in the ID3 tag and with an image.jpg file in the root of the album folder. When I read the ID3 tags using Easy Tag it shows to album art, as does Banshee, but nothing is displayed on my Iphone app. Is there something I need to configure in squeezeplug to display the album art? Should the album art be displayed using the web interface?

Any further advice gladly received.

Thanks
by bobbydriver » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:22 am
Blame the iphone! Haha

In all seriousness, it might be a caching issue with the app? How do you have images set up in the LMS config?

Can't remember which screen it's in but there is somewhere in the admin screens where you can set up how external players cache (or not) the artwork.

On my Android tablet it sometimes takes a while for the artwork to turn up.

If it's not that - then the other issue I had was when the artwork.db file got corrupted. To fix this I had to delete the existing artwork.db file and do a full clear and rescan everything.

Your artwork can be fine in all the files/folders, but LMS builds a database of the artwork cross-referenced to the database of the music files. If that artwork db gets corrupt then you have to start the scan from scratch
by jeremyroebuck » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:00 pm
The setting for pre-cache artwork is under Settings>Advanced>Performance
HTH
Jeremy
by ypout » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:45 am
bobbydriver wrote:Blame the iphone! Haha

In all seriousness, it might be a caching issue with the app? How do you have images set up in the LMS config?

Can't remember which screen it's in but there is somewhere in the admin screens where you can set up how external players cache (or not) the artwork.

On my Android tablet it sometimes takes a while for the artwork to turn up.

If it's not that - then the other issue I had was when the artwork.db file got corrupted. To fix this I had to delete the existing artwork.db file and do a full clear and rescan everything.

Your artwork can be fine in all the files/folders, but LMS builds a database of the artwork cross-referenced to the database of the music files. If that artwork db gets corrupt then you have to start the scan from scratch

Happy to blame the iPhone - (not my choice, comes with the job!)

I deleted the artwork.db file and did a clear and re-scan and now I have artwork :D

Thanks very much
by truehl » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:46 pm
Hi,
I'm figuring out the Spotify issues. So I tried to install Triodes Plugin on the Debian SoftFloat version. Some of you reported here it would work. I get this error:
Code: Select all
Error reading headers: Server closed connection without sending any data back at /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/Net/HTTP/Methods.pm line 306.
...propagated at /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/Net/HTTP/NB.pm line 32.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Thomas
truehl
by pbattino » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:13 pm
truehl wrote:Hi,
I'm figuring out the Spotify issues. So I tried to install Triodes Plugin on the Debian SoftFloat version. Some of you reported here it would work. I get this error:
Error reading headers: Server closed connection without sending any data back at /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/Net/HTTP/Methods.pm line 306.

I had the plug-in working, indeed. I was using your SqueezePlug, but v4.
Have you a "premium" account? A free account won't work. An "unlimited" used not to work but they might have changed that (I remember a news item about that, this summer).

I never had the error message you reported. Problems I had:
- impossible to authenticate from within office network (still unclear why, all other services were running), everything fine at home.
- Spotify username saved but password not saved using the plug-in's web interface (I had to edit the config file manually)
- plug-in won't work if LMS and SqueezeSlave don't have the same IP, even if they are on same machine (one picked up 127.0.0.1 , the other picked up the "real" IP...)

I would like to switch to SqueezePlug v5 and try Spotify with SqueezeLite, are you already offering a SqueezePlug SoftFloat ready for download?
by truehl » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:41 pm
pbattino wrote:
truehl wrote:I would like to switch to SqueezePlug v5 and try Spotify with SqueezeLite, are you already offering a SqueezePlug SoftFloat ready for download?

I'm in developing right now and the issue comes from my test image with SoftFloat. Yes, I have a premium account!
truehl
by truehl » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:55 pm
truehl wrote:Hi,

Any idea?

Thanks,
Thomas

Solved!
My fault! You get this message if your user credentials are not complete!

I got Spotify running with my test-installation of SqueezePlug 5.0 running on Wheezy SoftFloat. I use SqueezeLite as player with 320k VBR, Ogg Vorbis. It sounds very good so far, there are some drops during playback I have also seen with SqueezeLite on Raspbian HardFloat with lower bitrates. Triode already knows this and I hope he can fix this!

So SqueezePlug on Wheezy SoftFloat as an alternative to HardFloat makes sense I think. There is still a lot of work to do for this version, but I now found all important parts of the puzzle. It seems that the Wifi-Drivers for HardFloat also works on SoftFloat that was also a part of the puzzle.

I'll inform you about things going on here. Anyone interested in testing?
truehl
by hestbank » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:51 pm
drgeoff wrote:
hestbank wrote:..... trying to install Squeezelite on your Linux OS fills me with dread. Or can someone point me in the direction of some meaningful instructions.

You must be easily frightened. :lol:
You type 'setup' then follow the menus (cursor keys, Tab key, Enter key) and answer a few 'yes/no' questions. Simples!

I take it from your reply that Squeezelite is included in Squeezeplug V5. Obviously, it isn't in V4, which is what I am running at the moment.

If so that's great news - Spotify capable.
by drgeoff » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:09 am
hestbank wrote:
drgeoff wrote:
hestbank wrote:..... trying to install Squeezelite on your Linux OS fills me with dread. Or can someone point me in the direction of some meaningful instructions.

You must be easily frightened. :lol:
You type 'setup' then follow the menus (cursor keys, Tab key, Enter key) and answer a few 'yes/no' questions. Simples!

I take it from your reply that Squeezelite is included in Squeezeplug V5. Obviously, it isn't in V4, which is what I am running at the moment.

If so that's great news - Spotify capable.

Yes, Squeezelite is included in Squeezeplug v5. But note the preceding posts about hard float and softfloat versions of Squeezeplug and ramifications for Spotify.
by mikebainbridge » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:54 am
Hi Thomas - Very happy to do some testing on the V5 Soft float version. I had just downloaded and 'blown' the 4.08 version this afternoon but this seems like moving forward very fast and I'm very keen to participate.

Mike
by SimonF » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:58 am
I made an other decision I like to let you know and I like to get your feedback! I like to reduce the complexity of SqueezePlug so I think I'll drop all SqueezePlug versions except the version for Raspberry Pi. I think Raspberry Pi is the best platform for SqueezePlug ever and we don't need versions for other device. So versions for SheevaPlug, Dockstar and GoFlex Net will be be discontinued.

What do you think?

Agree entirely. Raspberry Pi is cheap, versatile and energy-efficient. I expect it will be developed and improved at a faster rate than the other products too.

Could you please tell me something about playlists.

I have been very happy using my Raspberry Pi as a SqueezePlug server for a few weeks now, having previously used LMS installation on a Windows 7 netbook.

To migrate my playlists, I opened them as text files in Word for Windows and did a Find and Replace on c:\music with mnt/hd1/music, and then changed all of the remaining \ to /.

I have been storing the playlists on my USB stick under \\SQUEEZEPLUG\media_lib\hd1\media\playlists (as viewed from windows) – a folder which seems to be provided by the SqueezePlug setup.

But I cannot change my playlists, nor create new ones, nor does it remember which track I was on when I start again.

I presume this is because I cannot write to this location – is that correct? Perhaps I should be storing the playlists on a location on the SD card? Or do I need to change permissions?

I would be grateful for your advice. I cannot find this information on the wiki.

Many thanks – Simon

Raspberry Pi Model B 256mb, Ethernet cable with DCHP, USB stick 64gb with music direct into USB port, SqueezePlug v5.02, LMS 7.7.2, Sandisk 8gb Extreme SDHC Memory Card. SB classic x5, SB radio.
by sunetos » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:27 pm
Does anybody know if transcoding works well with Twonky on the Raspberry Pi? I've tried researching for hours and I can't find anything.

I have a license for Twonky and want to hook up a low power media server to my drobo for video streaming. Most of my videos are 720p .mkv files (some are .mp4), and nearly all are h.264 encoded.

Has anybody tried using the SqueezePlug server from something like an iPad that would require transcoding?
by Argon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:28 pm
Strange things in here.
I have to reboot the RasPi each day because after 2 days I cant play anything from squeezeslave (line out). Not a big problem if I use a Cronjob, but i don't hear my problem by other users...

Problem 2. If i don't play any music you hear rustle/noise from the line out (seems to be "normal" on the RasPi), but sometimes I hear also a Spanish (i think) voice... So the LMS plays a Spanish stream without any command to do this. I live i Belgium, so i don't understand Spanish not to mention i will listen to a Spanish radio. Anyone else with this phenomenon ?
by castalla » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:36 pm
I have installed Squeezelite using the config setup.

I understand there's an updated version of Squeezelite - how do I install the update?
by drgeoff » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:52 pm
castalla wrote:I have installed Squeezelite using the config setup.

I understand there's an updated version of Squeezelite - how do I install the update?

I naively assumed that if you have updated Squeezeplug to v5.05 before installing, or re-installing, Squeezelite you would have the latest version. I guess that only truehl can provide the true answer.
by castalla » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:01 pm
The new binaries (version 0.4beta2) were only posted on 25/11 ... , then I guess the install gets the old version as 5.05 came out a while ago.
by drgeoff » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:18 pm
castalla wrote:The new binaries (version 0.4beta2) were only posted on 25/11 ... , then I guess the install gets the old version as 5.05 came out a while ago.

Ah, you want the latest version written by the author of Squeezelite as opposed to the latest version bundled with Squeezeplug. In which case, we both await the pearls of wisdom from others.