Full speed Amiga emulator ( UAE )

97 posts   Page 1 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4
by Chips » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:05 pm
This emulator is based on UAE4All rc3 which itself is hightly optimized (means non-accurate) + cyclone 68K arm core.
Amiga emulator UAE4ALL for Raspberry v0.2.
Source code and binary:
http://fdarcel.free.fr/uae4all-src-rc3. ... .5.tar.bz2

Audio is emulated, if it doesn't work try to play with Raspberry Pi configuration or use the jack.

New in v0.5:
- Menu resolution is increased: now more files are displayed in adf loader and name are longer.
- Add new options in menu: second drive (DF1) adf load and 4/3 or fullscreen display selection.

New in V0.4:
- Now joystick can be used to go back from emulation mode to menu. If you have a joystick with more than 4 buttons, any button except the four first one will trigger the main menu.

New in V0.3:
- Now Amiga Vsync is synchronized with Raspberry Pi one. It enables perfectly smooth emulation. Since emulated Amiga is Pal, ensure to set Raspberry Pi to 50Hz display mode otherwise graphics jitter will occurs.
- Since Vsync management is completely rewritten, Auto frame skip is less effective than in previous version. However it looks like enough for Raspberry Pi (especially with cyclone core).
- Improved double buffering: CPU is no more blocked on Vsync waiting.
- Menu can be driven using Joystick.

New in V0.2:
- Vsync is activated with a double buffering implementation. The double buffering is simple but efficient: one dispmanX element but two resources are used.
- 2 different binary: one with cyclone core (less accurate but faster), another one with fame core (slower but more accurate)
- Everything is now displayed using dispmanX: no more blackscreen should occurs in menu due to broken rapsberry pi SDL implementation.

Old v0.1 status:
- Full Speed A500 achieved (except few rare cases).
- Works in command line.
- Sound is OK.
- Upscaling is done using dispmanx.
- This version is not so accurate, so don't blame if some demos aren't working.
- VSync is not activated.
- Sometime SDL fails to diplays the menu so you got black screen. Just remember how to quit the menu (5 time down then enter) and re-start the emulator.

Old v0.1 Binary
http://darcelf.free.fr/uae4all_binary.bz2
Old v0.1 Source code:
http://darcelf.free.fr/uae4all-src-rc3.chip.tar.bz2
Last edited by Chips on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.
by crookedmouth » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:14 pm
Thank you! I will definitely be checking this out tonight.

Did I mention Thank You! :)
by SSilver2k2 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:11 am
Very cool!! I know a couple people on my blog were asking for something like this :)

Would you mind sharing how you compiled the source code / dependancies you needed?
My blog of various geeky things - http://blog.sheasilverman.com
DeskCade.com - Mini Raspberry Pi Arcade Cabinet
PiMAME - http://pimame.org
by Trixster » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:33 am
Is there a pre-compiled image available for this? I'm not clever enough to compile it myself!
by gzz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:01 pm
Damn, I cant get it to work in console, always get the black screen, and even "5 downs then enter" doesnt do anything, even piping output gives no messages.

If I run it in X, it creates a window, then closes it real fast.

Are there command line params you have to pass or anything? Roms needed?

Nice to see you port some of the sdl code to dispmanx, do you plan on doing more of this?
by Chips » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:06 pm
Sorry, i forgot to put the data subdirectory with resources in the bz2 binary.
You can re-donwload it and decompress it: it now should have the data subdirectory.

It should complains of kick.rom missing in case you didn't add it in executable directory.
by petrockblog » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:52 am
Thanks a lot for your work!
I can successfully compile uae4all. However, I am not able to start it. Could you give a hint about the needed version and properties of the kick.rom file? It is put into the same directory as the uae4all binary, isn't it?
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com
by gzz » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:01 pm
Make sure you select choose image disk at the top and load your .adf

then select run, and it runs the amiga.

Havent played with hdd images or anything yet.

Although a readme.txt or something that described keyboard shortcuts might be nice?

(ive tried lemmings, but it seems to be stuck, it loads the Fairlight intro, but now the red block is flashing and the green block is stuck on 01 and have no idea what the keyboard shortcut is too close the program)
by petrockblog » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:26 pm
I finally made it running. Thanks a lot!

I have added the installation script for UAE4All to the >>RetroPie setup script<<.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com
by Trixster » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:01 pm
Any news on updates for this? I can get it running brilliantly with a competition pro USB joystick, and many old titles work fine but a few favourites such as First Samurai just quit to the cli. Any ideas why?
by normal » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:08 am
How do i delete settings for UAE? I ran it and started it and got a segfault, and afterward I get only a black screen when I run it again. The only way I can get it started again is to redownload the binary or recompile and run it from a different path than before. I've had to do this twice now.
by billb » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:53 am
I haven't tried this version yet, but they're typically stored in a hidden file in your home directory: ~/.uaerc

To see if that's where it is:

Code: Select all
cd

ls -la

To make a backup:

cp .uaerc .uaerc.backup

To delete it:

rm .uaerc
by jose1711_ » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:19 pm
i am getting this:

./uae4all
Function: graphics_subinit
Resolution: 320 x 240
Res: 1440 900
00000|000: m68k_reset:
00000|907: unrecognized_callback: op 0xff0d @ 0xf80008
00000|907: unrecognized_callback:   dummy
Segmentation fault
by crookedmouth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:43 pm
This is fantastic. Great speed but while in emulator the Amiga keyboard is missing Return and Space keys. Anyone have any idea how to fix that? Perhaps they won't give up there UAE4ALL GUI function while inside the emulator?
by richbee » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:38 pm
[quote="gzz"]Make sure you select choose image disk at the top and load your .adf

then select run, and it runs the amiga.
quote]

I managed to get to the kickstart disk screen, but no further, it seemed to freeze there with one of the green boxes flashing.

Reading your post above, looks like I need to choose the (.adf) game file before running the emulator. I assumed I would start the emulator and then choose the rom.

have to try that tonight
by Trixster » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:21 pm
If a black screen comes up when you sudo ./uae4all then carefully press down on the keyboard 5 times followed by return. This should drop you back into the cli. Sudo ./uae4all again and the GUI should come up this time.

I still get random crashes to cli and first samurai still won't run. Here's hoping for a uae4all update to fix some of these bugs.
by Milanchez » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:18 pm
Hi all,
I have tried provided binary http://darcelf.free.fr/uae4all_binary.bz2.
Unpacked it, renamed 1.3 Amiga rom file to kick.rom.
typed
sudo chmod +x uae4all

and started with
./uae4all

Then I've loaded adf file, started the game (pressing mouse button and Space/ Enter when needed).
The only problem I had was program freezing when "Right CTRL" key was pressed.
Could someone investigate this issue? Or at least open topic "UAE4All on Raspberry Pi" to report issues.
Cheers AmigaPi's ;)
by crookedmouth » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:38 pm
Milanchez wrote:Hi all,
I have tried provided binary http://darcelf.free.fr/uae4all_binary.bz2.
Unpacked it, renamed 1.3 Amiga rom file to kick.rom.
typed
sudo chmod +x uae4all

and started with
./uae4all

Then I've loaded adf file, started the game (pressing mouse button and Space/ Enter when needed).
The only problem I had was program freezing when "Right CTRL" key was pressed.
Could someone investigate this issue? Or at least open topic "UAE4All on Raspberry Pi" to report issues.
Cheers AmigaPi's ;)

I just booted it up to see if I had the same problem and sure enough I do. That said, I have no idea how to fix it. I am still trying to figure out why my backspace, space and enter keys do nothing. I am so impressed with the speed but I can't play anything that requires these keys, which is a lot of games and apps. I don't even know if it is possible to save inside games.

Your space, enter and backspace keys work?
by Milanchez » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:55 am
I have tried both Rasbian distributions (slower and enhanced one). In both distributions "right Ctrl" freezes UAE4ALL app and the whole RPI.

I didn't have problems with these keys.
I suspect that these key issues (maybe) are related with keyboard mapping.
by crookedmouth » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:53 am
Milanchez wrote:I have tried both Rasbian distributions (slower and enhanced one). In both distributions "right Ctrl" freezes UAE4ALL app and the whole RPI.

I didn't have problems with these keys.
I suspect that these key issues (maybe) are related with keyboard mapping.

Thanks, I just tried it with another keyboard and I get the same problem. I can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy. I've been pouring over the source looking for something. I tried altering gui.cpp and recompiling. My idea being that perhaps these keys are "double-mapped" and was causing a conflict. That didn't work, so I'll keep searching. Looks like Amiga emulation is still my Holy Grail.
by Trixster » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:59 pm
I'm with you! This build of UAE4All is an excellent start but I hope it's being actively worked on as it still needs some improvement to get even better! Make sure you hook up a decent amiga-aged joystick - I bought a USB competition Pro and it works like a dream.
by Liquidream » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:27 pm
Thanks for this, it's great!
I've dnloaded this via RetroPie's script and, it's almost running near full-speed on some games.

The main question I have is, can it be configured to maintain aspect ratio?
I run my Pi through my widescreen telly and, although the UAE menu is perfect (correct ratio), when the emulator is running, it "fills" my tv screen (stretched). I've played with the "position" options and "0" seems to be the only one where nothing is cut off, the others seem to "zoom" in to far.

Any ideas? :)
by Milanchez » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:58 am
crookedmouth wrote:Thanks, I just tried it with another keyboard and I get the same problem. I can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy. I've been pouring over the source looking for something. I tried altering gui.cpp and recompiling. My idea being that perhaps these keys are "double-mapped" and was causing a conflict. That didn't work, so I'll keep searching. Looks like Amiga emulation is still my Holy Grail.

I found the way around ;) I have successfully tried UAE4ALL v.2.0 developed for Pandora board on my Raspberry Pi ! http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=uae4all
Procedure:
1. Unzip uae4allv2.0.pnd file with latest 7Zip
2. Copy uae4all folder to your RPi
3. sudo chmod +x uae4all
4. Rename 3.1 kick rom to kick.rom and copy it into uae4all folder ( Currently It only works with 512KB versions of rom )
5. ./uae4all

Keys on Rpi:
PageDown (Confirm)
PageUp (Go back)
Arrow keys
LeftCTRL
RightCTRL
... And many more configurable keys and shortcuts.

Please look at UAE4ALL v2.0 source code http://www.mediafire.com/?aap62g86gh4k3kh
and try out this enhanced app. There are many great options. Check them out.

Only thing that bothers is resolution :( I have contacted developer if he can add more resolutions to it.
by Trixster » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:30 pm
Can you get sound to work?
by Trixster » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:18 pm
I've gotta say, this version is pretty good. It'll play just about everything I've tried. Not had a got at AGA stuff yet.

It's a shame you can't bump the resolution up beyond 800x270, and I still can't get the sound to work over hdmi.