OpenELEC vs Raspbmc vs Xbian

71 posts   Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3
by steveb_123 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:39 am
100% newb, just got my Pi - i've made a debian SD card and have that up and running but would like to make another SD to use and test XBMC.
I was wondering if people that have been using their Pi's for awhile have any direction as to which of these projects to try and why.
Also documentation / installation help for a Mac would be great as making my own build of Openelec image seems quite overwhelming.
Thanks,
Steve
by eNORm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:41 am
XBian, best comunity ;) + fastest
Expology.no
by teomac » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:51 am
xBian obviously :mrgreen:

take a look at xbian.org
by Mick1152 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:07 am
I've tried all three, had one on each of my 3 SD cards at one time and was going back and forth for testing. Ultimately I too have decided on Xbian for the reasons already stated. The other two are also good and each one has it's merits. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the three, I just prefer Xbian and wanted to free my SD cards up for other things.
by Multisaft7 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:22 am
So all you guys will say xbian is the best?!

Are there any pro and contras?
by smonkey » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:23 am
I've only really tried Raspbmc and XBian, and realistically they are very similar. They both play back the same formats and have largely the same performance for playback and menu speed etc..

XBian seems to be updated more frequently, but Raspbmc has more features (it implemented pulsecec first, has much better lirc support, now has xbmc-pvr support).

Personally I'm still on the fence. I have an SD card for both and just play around with whichever one I'm in the mood for.

This might be worth a read, although it's on the raspbmc forums so is pretty one sided:
http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=2171
by s7mx1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:58 am
Xbian is the least polished of these three. Remote support is non-existent, missing drivers and the list can go on and on. If one put the same kernel with the same over-clocking settings and I guess you will see similar performance out of these three.

On the development side, xbian build on the actual pi which means it takes days to build a complicated project like xbmc instead of half an hour on a modern PC. Till today I still have not got around the idea of native building on the pi itself: tens if not hundreds times slower than cross-compiling and no real gain.
by JoeDaStudd » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:08 am
Personally I've only tried OpenELEC and Raspbmc.
Out of the two I prefer Raspbmc as its more flexible (ie has better wifi support then OpenELEC).
They are very similar, but do have there differences.

OpenELEC is smaller, its easier to get a image and has a large community behind it.
However its more restrictive and to add any drivers you have to rebuild the OS.

Raspbmc is more flexible, easier to setup, has more default functionality and is updated pretty often.
On the other hand the image is larger, and initial setup takes longer (as it downloads fresh files).
by Koenkk » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:21 pm
s7mx1 wrote:Xbian is the least polished of these three. Remote support is non-existent, missing drivers and the list can go on and on. If one put the same kernel with the same over-clocking settings and I guess you will see similar performance out of these three.

On the development side, xbian build on the actual pi which means it takes days to build a complicated project like xbmc instead of half an hour on a modern PC. Till today I still have not got around the idea of native building on the pi itself: tens if not hundreds times slower than cross-compiling and no real gain.

I would also say that if i was a raspbmc developer
by skooby » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:04 pm
I have been using all three of them. My needs are "fairly simple". All I want is xbmc to stream from NFS and to be smooth on 1080p with DTS audio. I have 3 pi's but only one of them is connected to a DTS amp. The one with the DTS amp works fine with raspbmc,openelec and xbian. The other 2 are the problem. Until today I favoured openelec. I found raspbmc and xbian stuttered badly, with openelec being the best but not perfect in this area. However as of today that has changed. I installed xbian 0.7 and it plays my movie files by far the best. So my choice would be xbian but I have very specific needs. Others may have a different opinion depending on their needs.

Skooby
by ScoobyDoo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:12 pm
Xbian
by JRT » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:15 pm
I've tried Xbian and Raspbmc and finally settled on Raspbmc. Superficially there's not much difference, but the developer behind Raspbmc has a long history with XBMC (ported it to AppleTV I think) and, as a programmer, seems to have a very sensible approach to development.
by cesarvog » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:40 pm
Since there are so many users here favoring XBian, can someone pls post the contents of the default config.txt file of the newer 0.7Beta1 version? I have tried to upgrade one of my SD cards from 0.6.3 to 0.7Beta1, but it keeps rebooting once XBMC home screen opens. I guess it doesn't like my version of above mentioned file, even though it used to work fine when I had 0.6.3. Go figure...
by skooby » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:34 pm
Xbian default config.txt:

arm_freq=840
core_freq=375
disable_overscan=1
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

skooby
by PeterO » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:38 pm
I've tried all three, and none of them seem to be able to to the most basic of things ( like play a DVD!) .

Unless you have some huge stash of programmes you've already downloaded from the 'net they all seem pretty much pointless.....
PeterO
by skooby » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:53 pm
PeterO wrote:I've tried all three, and none of them seem to be able to to the most basic of things ( like play a DVD!) .

Unless you have some huge stash of programmes you've already downloaded from the 'net they all seem pretty much pointless.....
PeterO

New XBian is said to play dvd images now although I havent tried it.

Skooby
by cesarvog » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:37 am
skooby wrote:Xbian default config.txt:

arm_freq=840
core_freq=375
disable_overscan=1
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

skooby

Thanks, Skooby!
by trondis23 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:57 am
I use the Pi mostly for music playback, and none of the current builds handle that very well. Gapless playback was broken at one point, and there are long gaps and stuttering at the beginning of the tracks. But OpenELEC from June works perfectly. So I have been using that.

Yesterday I installed the newest OpenELEC build, added the MPEG-2/VC-1 licenses, and then downgraded to a June 23 build. So I now have both mpeg playback of films and gapless music. There are also some video add-ons that work on this build, but not on the newer ones. So this is (almost) perfect for me.

You won't have CEC and Airplay (which I haven't got to work in newer builds anyway). But the most important add-ons (YouTube, Vimeo etc.) work. And I can send videos from my Android phone via PlayTo, Reddit, Zappo TV etc., which covers most streaming channels. The official XBMC remote works with the library, but not Yatse and a couple of others. But they work as remotes, and Yatse can also snatch videos from web-sites and pass it on to XBMC.
by Dilligaf » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:35 am
First off, I am a moderator on the Raspbmc site. That being said I an no ones fanboy and believe choice is a good thing. With all the talk about Xbian I have been meaning to install and test it and today I finally did. First impressions, the settings addon is sorely lacking, please improve it. The menus seemed surprisingly quick but then I realized that I was missing all the "eye candy" and went into settings and enabled recent movies and shows on the front page. Wow, now I know why they were disabled, there is considerable lag when sliding from one selection to the next for the tabs that show artwork, the other tabs are still surprisingly quick. OK, now I went into the movies section, seems about what I'm used to in RMC, little difference so I browsed to my 186MB 1 minute 1080pDTS test clip that I've watched it seems a million times. It went OK, but for some reason I'm unable to quantify it seemed a little off but I'm sure it was nothing anyone else would notice. Where's remote support? my MCE RC6 remote that works out of the box in RMC doesn't work, I'll have to look into it. All in all I would rate them pretty equal. In my mind the choice depends on what you want out of your Pi. Want a fixed image with little customization available? Then it's OpenElec. Want a HTPC that's pretty much customizable to your hearts desire? then Raspbmc is probably your choice. Want a allbeit small PC that you can do PC stuff on and also use for media playback? Then Xbian is probably your cup of tea. Honestly I like all the competition and bickering between the competition as in the end the end user is the one that benefits. Raspbmc just came out with PVR support and is coming out with a new RC soon and Xbian just came with V0.7alpha? I'll have to revisit my evaluation . But in the mean time to the developers and Fanboys please keep up the trash talk, you're making it better for all of us.

Mike
by doggy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:59 am
My favorite will be the one that I can use touchscreen on. :mrgreen:
by smonkey » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:45 pm
s7mx1 wrote:On the development side, xbian build on the actual pi which means it takes days to build a complicated project like xbmc instead of half an hour on a modern PC. Till today I still have not got around the idea of native building on the pi itself: tens if not hundreds times slower than cross-compiling and no real gain.

Whilst that may be true, I don't see how it's relevant. Of course its much faster to compile on another machine, but it's not exactly holding XBian back - there have been far more frequent public releases (not including nightly builds) than Raspbmc.

Like I said earlier, I'm still on the fence - I love both and for my needs the performance is pretty much identical. My main gripe with XBian is that I don't like Dropbear as an SSH server (I know I can switch back to openssh but I'm lazy!).

I have noticed that in these threads, it's usually the Raspbmc devs/mods who start the public mud slinging though :P

I follow both lead devs on twitter, and will be trying out all new releases for the forseeable future - I doubt I'll ever be able to choose one over the other. For my usage, OpenELEC is pretty much ruled out straight away because I like to use my pi for things other than XBMC without having to swap SD cards.
by smuggly » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:28 pm
Koenkk wrote:
s7mx1 wrote:Xbian is the least polished of these three. Remote support is non-existent, missing drivers and the list can go on and on. If one put the same kernel with the same over-clocking settings and I guess you will see similar performance out of these three.

I would also say that if i was a raspbmc developer

I Have No Trouble With remotes. Check Out The Forum....
http://forum.xbian.org/
by JoeDaStudd » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:57 pm
PeterO wrote:I've tried all three, and none of them seem to be able to to the most basic of things ( like play a DVD!) .

PeterO

A lot of people digitise their DVD/bluray collections for HTPC's or backup purposes, so its far from pointless.
Before I started digitising my collection I had over 3 full sized drawers + couple of dozen lose dvds.
Now I have just 2 portable harddrives. Taking up about as much space as 3 or 4 dvds :D

Now if netflix or lovefilm had RasPi support I'd have a full blown nerdgasm
by Kmcfarland » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:17 pm
re: Netflix

This probaly isn't what was meant by PI support for Netflix, but you can access Netflix via XBMC on the PI if you have the MPEG-2 license on your PI and a separate Windows box in your setup that is running the PlayOn server.
by caravela » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:11 am
I tested all and for my use of the Pi Xbmc & Transmission & Nas. The best for me was OpenElec

Openelec
Low xbmc cpu around 13% on idle system menu
Easy to update
The system is optimized for what is compiled for, therefore It is limited to the packages you can compile.
Harder to customize, i.e: fstab mounts

Raspbmc
Low xbmc cpu around 18% on idle system menu
Debian based, easy to add packages
build environment available
non standard boot process, it uses upstart or something like that, do a apt-get upgrade on rc4 and it never boots again.
Non standard boot so it is harder,at least for me, to configure services.

Xbian
Average xbmc cpu around 30-40% on idle system menu
Debian based, easy to add packages
Standard boot process
No update system
compatible with rpi-update
no build environment available

My Pi is on 24/7 so i went with OpenELEC since it has the low cpu usage and less processes running, and does everything i need.