AdvMame issues

13 posts
by Raidersan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:00 pm
Hi,

I got the binairies for Advmame on this forum and got it working very easily, however I have a few issues that I just cannot find answers to and thought I might not be the only facing them, so here they are:

1) Both my USB gamepads, of different makes, do not register the all movements, it seems that the Y axis is ignored. But when I run "AdvJ" in the bin folder of AdvMame, I can see that it perfectly recognise all my inputs, so it seems to be something with AdvMame itself. I have tried to re-create my advmame.rc, to no avail. The "Calibrate Joystick" in game option doesn't seem to do anything...

2) Navigating the menus in advmame (TAB) generates lots of pops and other terrible sounds.

3) All my games are stretched to an uneven ratio and the game end up looking either fuzzy or ugly. Looking through the video option, there is not 1 that offers a 1x1 or 2x2 ratio, they all are odd numbers such as 0.88x1.12 or 1.66x2.24!! Am I missing something?

Many thanks in advance!
by SSilver2k2 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:06 am
are you running the AdvanceMAME in X or on the command line?
My blog of various geeky things - http://blog.sheasilverman.com
DeskCade.com - Mini Raspberry Pi Arcade Cabinet
PiMAME - http://pimame.org
by Raidersan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:15 am
command line on raspbian wheezy
by h2o2 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:16 pm
Hmm..
I am having the same issues, and i am using a SideWinder Microsoft joystick (part no. X05-63895)
by crookedmouth » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:00 am
Try setting device_joystick raw in advmame.rc

Fixed it for me.
by roamingleon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:40 am
Thanks for the great tip on setting device_joystick raw in advmame.rc. I spent 2 hours trying to get the y-axis recognised on my logitech rumblepad. This tip solved the problem. Much appreciated.
by buitaker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:42 am
Raidersan,

I have the same problemems. have you solved your other issues?

2) Navigating the menus in advmame (TAB) generates lots of pops and other terrible sounds.

3) All my games are stretched to an uneven ratio and the game end up looking either fuzzy or ugly. Looking through the video option, there is not 1 that offers a 1x1 or 2x2 ratio, they all are odd numbers such as 0.88x1.12 or 1.66x2.24!! Am I missing something?
by Raidersan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:58 am
I have given up unfortunately, my RPI has been sitting in my drawer since.
I had high hopes reading a post about somebody imminently releasing a MAME distro 2 months ago, but that seem to have vanished.
I have lost faith, maybe it is due to limited number of devices out there and that might change, I see lots of people trying to get it to work properly, but no concrete evidence of success through dedicated distros.
Hoepfully one day...
by Haemogoblin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:27 pm
I keep returning to see if the sound issue with Mame has been resolved. All the roms i've tried have had the worst sound. If I didn't know better, I would say the RPi wasn't up to the task of running mame.
by Jklar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:43 am
I have been searching everywhere and still cannot find a solution to the crackling/static sound on 90 percent of the roms in advmame via the headphone jack. I have tried many things to no avail. HDMI is good. Has anyone had and been able to work this problem out yet?
by welshy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:21 am
Raidersan/Haemogoblin/Jklar
AdvMAME Sound Issues
As has been posted in Threads elsewhere your problems arise by the use of Analogue Audio. The RPi hardware isn’t really powerful enough to get good analogue audio (Especially when running other Programs like AdvMAME!) apparently even using it for “X” causes popping/crackling on mouse use (Raiderscan, this is similar to the Key Pressing you are experiencing)! There is a partial solution with AdvMAME, in the advancemame.rc change the Sample Frequency to a lower setting (Obviously, by definition, this lowers the “Quality” of the Sound Output but alleviates “Some” of the issues) -

sound_samplerate 44100 (Default KHz Setting)
To
sound_samplerate 22050 (Or 11025, the LOWEST Setting that can be applied)

But the best solution is to use Digital HDMI sound!

Raiderscan/buitaker
AdvMAME Apsect Ration Issues
“All my games are stretched to an uneven ratio and the game end up looking either fuzzy or ugly”

This is probably due to the Filters being applied (They are set to “auto” by Default) or the game you are playing (Some will be like looking at a “Cinemascope” ratio on these settings! (See display_resize effect Below)). Here is some advice I posted on AdvMAME settings from another Thread -

“MAME settings are infinitely customisable. I have found the “default” settings read from the advmame.rc are perfectly acceptable in MOST cases but there are a few exceptions -

1. The “default” advmame.rc, display_color is “auto”. Vector games - Asteroids, Star Wars, etc will suffer from an incorrect application. DON’T change the advmame.rc! In the Options Menu (TAB) navigate to Video, Color and change “auto” to “bgr16” then “Save for this Game”
2. The “default” advmame.rc, display_mode is “auto” and display_magnify is “1”. This will affect certain games which will suffer from an incorrect application in Aspect Ratio (I’ve found Hyper Sports, I-Robot and Track and Field so far). Again, DONT change the advmame.rc! In the Options Menu (TAB) navigate to Video, magnify and change “1” to “2” then “Save for this Game”
3. The ONLY advmame.rc setting I WOULD change is display_resizeeffect from “auto” to “none”. Personally, I’m not a great fan of any of these in emulation and they WILL be applied when you change the magnification mode as described above. However, you can scroll through them in the Video Options Menu, experiment, see if like any of them!”

Raiderscan
One Last Thing, Hopefully (As this was posted some time ago) your RPi has come out of the drawer! There are PLENTY of Emulators that run acceptably compiled from source, although, the SDL Graphics Drivers can cause issues (Poor scrolling for example, apparently they are X86 focused). Lots of people are now compiling RPi “Optimised Binaries” (Often using Open GLES Drivers which work much better with ARM based devices) that alleviate MANY of these issues. I for one have been “Amazed” at what such a simple/cheap Dev Board (Which in essence is what the RPi is) is actually capable of (For instance PCSX Rearmed, a Playstation Emulator! On the RPi!!!)

Hope That Helps Everyone!
by Raidersan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:58 am
Hi Welshy and thanks for the feedback,

I am glad to hear to are better ways of running those emulators today on the rPi but are you aware of anybody producing a distro, image or anything the sort where a "best for rPi-compiled" version of a Mame emulator is included? A long time ago some people were talking about doing exactly that, and while I have seen those type of distributables being made available for Home theaters and other offerings, I have not seen for MAME, which is a great pity. I consider myself capable in terms of being able to install, compile and get things going but just gave up with the sheer number of possible things to investigate, from X/no-X to SDL or other, different MAME emulators, alternative drivers,... I was just hoping to have a community-driven distro of a rPi-based Mame/Mame Menu system setup. Even if this distro was not perfect at least it could serve as basis for discussion and alignment on the best components to use and setups. At the moment (or least when I gave up) they were threads everywhere with dozens of suggestions, but with no published solution. I would be very happy if somebody pointed me to one today!
by welshy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:40 pm
Raidersan
There are a few I know of

Mutiple System Emulators -
Carles Oriol’s Raspbian Chameleon remix - http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3075

petRock’s Retro Pi - http://petrockblog.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... pberry-pi/

Single Emulator -
AdvMAME
Shea Silverman’s Pi MAME - http://blog.sheasilverman.com/pimame-ra ... -download/

They all have “Built In” GUI Front Ends and in some cases “ROM Finders”. Although in most cases they haven’t been “Optimised” for the RPi (Just “Binaries” from existing source code) and you will no doubt get better performance (As I have) compiling them yourself!

I have posted numerous “Guides” for those wishing to compile their own Emulators (That way getting the best performance/results and learn about RPi/Linux/Emulators in the process, which I believe was the intention of the Foundation rather than just “Flash” an Image to a Card!). Links to a few of them Here -

AdvMAME - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=22403
AdvMENU - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=23431
AdvMESS - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=23113
Atari++ (Atari 8 Bit Line) - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=24729
GnGeo (Neo-Geo AES/MVS) - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=22302

They are FULL “Guides” on how to compile/run the emulator along with some ROM selection/ settings suggestions and other “musings” and “Trivia”. I also posted an AdvMAME ROM LIST (At the request of a user) which indicates which ones I have working “Fullspeed”, the Revision of the ROM required (As you may be aware MAME requires different romsets depending of the revision being used) and whether samples are needed Here - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=29427

Again, these are NOT “Optimised” for the RPi but some “Customised Binaries” are starting to appear! (Check the Forum)

*NB I think Retro Pi uses MAME4ALL as its MAME core which is inferior (In Performance/ROM Compatibility) to AdvMAME. Even if this is incorrect from what I have seen its MAME performance is PITIFUL! But it DOES have some of the best SNES emulation I have witnessed