SqueezePlug: Accessing a shared USB-drive

11 posts
by el pollo diablo! » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:28 pm
Hello folks,

I'm making my first footsteps in a linux environment right now with my new RPi. Unfortunately this makes me ask some more or less trivial questions 8-)

In detail my first aim is the setup of SqueezePlug to play music from my usb hard drive. The settings do work in general: I can play music and access the RPi from my Win7 workstation.
My problem is, that SqueezePlug is not using my USB-drive as a storage but instead the free space on the SD-card.

Whenever I copy a file via Win7 file transfer to the shared folder "music", it is copied to the SD-card until the device is full and the transfer thus be aborted.
Should my USB-drive be shown seperately within the music folder but does not? The harddrive itself seems to be recognized because the RPi obviously already copied the test-songs onto the SD-card unquestioned.

Thanks a lot, Martin
by bredman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:36 pm
It seems that your music directory is defined on the SD card. It should be defined on the USB drive.

Or... The proper Linux way is that you can define the music directory anywhere you like and it should link to your USB drive.

To find out more about your setup, let us know the full path to your music directory. It is probably something like
/home/pi/music

Also, let us know how your USB drive is mounted. To do this, use the command
mount
and one of the lines should show the name of the USB device and its mount location.
by el pollo diablo! » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:37 pm
Hello again,

The first thing to do for me today was to erase the SD-card and to reinstall the SqueezePlug-Image exactly as explained by the program's author. Having done this (including the right order of setup steps) I still experience the same issue.

Thus I followed your instructions:
1. command cd /music to enter the folder
2. command pwd to reveal the full path of the music folder
Result: /music

3. command mount
Result: /dev/mmcblk0p2 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot type vfat (rw)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
/dev/sda5 on /music type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

Do these additional informations include any clues to the solution of my problem?
Thanks again for explaining basics this patiently.

Regards, Martin
by el pollo diablo! » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:05 pm
Don't know if this helps... some additional information: The SD-Card has a total storage of 4GB, the USB-drive's storage is 120GB.

4. command: df -h
Result:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p2 3.5G 1.7G 1.7G 51% /
tmpfs 110M 0 110M 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 172K 9.9M 2% /dev
tmpfs 110M 0 110M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 110M 0 110M 0% /tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p1 75M 36M 40M 48% /boot
/dev/sda5 115G 3.4G 112G 3% /music
by Andresen » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:54 pm
el pollo diablo! wrote:Don't know if this helps... some additional information: The SD-Card has a total storage of 4GB, the USB-drive's storage is 120GB.

Result:

From the above, it's clear that your USB-disk are mountet as /music. So maybe your file transfer places files in a folder other than /music. Have you triede the following:

• Transfer a file to your raspberry pi
  • Connect to the raspberry pi (using ssh)
  • Look for the file in the /music (ls /music)
?
by truehl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:12 pm
el pollo diablo! wrote:Don't know if this helps... some additional information: The SD-Card has a total storage of 4GB, the USB-drive's storage is 120GB.

Result:

As far as I can see, your external HD is correctly mounted to /music and the size seems to be correct! So where is the problem?
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by el pollo diablo! » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:11 pm
Okay, this topic can hereby be closed - the problem is mysteriously solved.
Even that small and equipped with Linux, it remains a typical computer (or it is even more typical computer? :lol: )...

I checked the files in the directory /music and there was everything to be found, that I already copied to the RPi (into the folder /music) via file transfer (until the upload stopped bcs. of insuficcient disc space).
Then I plugged the usb device directly in the windows 7 computer and checked the filesystem: Everything looked fine, the partition size was accurate and the files were (again) all there and all accessible. Even copying several GBs of new files was possible this way; this time there appeared no error about insufficient disc space.

Back in the linux environment, the usb drive behaves normal and I finally can copy GBs of files to the system without any problem. I didn't change a thing! :shock:

Thanks for your help, folks. I already learned a bit about linux' structure, the difference in the understanding of folders, basic commands... worth it.

Regards, Martin
by el pollo diablo! » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:21 pm
( ;) My first RPi-goal is achieved and a practical usability for the lovely device hereby proven. Let's go for the next goals.)
by el pollo diablo! » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:39 am
Sh**! Forget my previous post, the problem remains.
Here we go again. Help.

I checked the total size of the music-files on the RPi: It is 3,7 GB and leads to my speculation, that the files are indeed written to my USB-drive but somehow the regulations of the internal SD-card are applied to it by the samba server?
by truehl » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:59 am
el pollo diablo! wrote:Sh**! Forget my previous post, the problem remains.
Here we go again. Help.

I checked the total size of the music-files on the RPi: It is 3,7 GB and leads to my speculation, that the files are indeed written to my USB-drive but somehow the regulations of the internal SD-card are applied to it by the samba server?

Could you install winscp and try to access the music folder from here?
http://winscp.net/eng/docs/lang:de
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by Andresen » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:39 pm
Does samba transfer files to /music -- or does it transfer to a folder in your home directory?

Could you try the following:
  • Create a file on your Windows coputer with a uniq name (I assume the name NewFilesGoesHere in the following)
  • Copy the file to your SqueezePlug computer
  • Make a ssh-connection to your SqueezePlug and type:
    Code: Select all
    find / -name 'NewFilesGoesHere'

The output of the last command will show you where files are copied to. My guess is, that it's not in the /music folder .. :)

Regards,
Andresen