EmulationStation - an emulator front-end

178 posts   Page 2 of 8   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8
by Aloshi » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:42 am
Hmm, alright. I didn't test it nearly as much as I should've, but it would definitely make sense if it slowed down more (I don't think threading on ARM is particularly good). I'll probably remove it when I get home from work.
by mats » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:14 am
I have some problems with the "Back"-Button when I use my gamepad. First i want to make something clear for myself. I expected that the "Back-Button" would me bring back to the emulationstation when im playing a game. So i think it should press ESC to do that in RetroArch or am i wrong? In my case i tried every Button on my Gamepad configured as the "Back-Button" but no button works. All the other things works pretty good with my gamepad. Any suggestions?
by Aloshi » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:39 pm
Oh, sorry. The back button is used to go back up a folder in EmulationStation. If you want to map a gamepad button to close RetroArch, you should be able to add something like
Code: Select all
input_exit_emulator_btn = “6″

To your retroarch.cfg, wherever that may be.
by mats » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:02 pm
Thinking a second time about my question, i recognized how stupid it was because while i'm in the emulator it doesn't have to do anything with the emulationstation. My fault... :roll:
But you're right with the given command it's possible to close the current emulation. Thanks at all.
I looking forward for your "theme-support" to do some visual customizing on the colors :D
by Aloshi » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:32 pm
In what will be probably be the last big update for a while, I've added pretty decent theme support: https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStat ... /THEMES.md
by mats » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:14 am
Aloshi wrote:In what will be probably be the last big update for a while, I've added pretty decent theme support: https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStat ... /THEMES.md

I tried it out but also in regard to the bug i can't get the colors i'm expecting. For example i want a grey selector (e.g. HEX 999999), in this example there is no difference betwenn forward or backward reading and i get a lila one?

In addition to that i think a display tag for the header would be nice or a possibility to set one image per game/emulator because hiding the headers, displaying all images for the emulators and having no folders it would be not that easy to see if it's a atari or nes one :P
by Aloshi » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:11 am
Hopefully I just fixed that hex problem in my recent commit. And if you want to display an image in the header, you should be able to use:

<hideHeader />
<component>
   <type>image</type>
   <path>whatever.png</path>
   <pos>0 0</pos>
   <dim>1 $headerHeight</dim>
   <origin>0 0</origin>
</component>

(unless I misunderstood your question)
by mats » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:56 am
Aloshi wrote:Hopefully I just fixed that hex problem in my recent commit. And if you want to display an image in the header, you should be able to use:

<hideHeader />
<component>
   <type>image</type>
   <path>whatever.png</path>
   <pos>0 0</pos>
   <dim>1 $headerHeight</dim>
   <origin>0 0</origin>
</component>

(unless I misunderstood your question)

Ok, at first your last commit fixed that hex problem. Thanks!

The thing i was thinking of was one ore two additional features:
Feature 1:
    Something like <headColor> to set the color for the headers instead of the default red
Feature 2:
    Instead of viewing the written header it would be nice to disable the headers with <hideHeader /> and show an image / logo of the emulator.
    To display an image in the header was never a problem but if i display a "Nintendo-Logo", i will see it on every "page" although the game list is showing my sega roms.

I hope you understand my question / request now. :D
by Xevin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:17 pm
You can already do that. Just make a different theme.xml inside each of your different rom folders. The default theme.xml only applies itself to systems that do not have their own custom theme.xml in their rom folder.
by mats » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:35 am
Xevin wrote:You can already do that. Just make a different theme.xml inside each of your different rom folders. The default theme.xml only applies itself to systems that do not have their own custom theme.xml in their rom folder.

Ok it seems that i missunderstood the description in the THEMES.md so that i doesn't find this way by myself... :?

After all visual costumizing i started to us Pendors scraper script and it's really cool. One thing i found out was that the script writes more infos into the gamelist.xml than the EmulationStation shows. Is there a plan to show them too?
by Aloshi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:00 pm
That's the plan! I don't know when I'll get to it, though.
by mats » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:36 pm
Aloshi wrote:That's the plan! I don't know when I'll get to it, though.

Nice! At the moment the release date was interesting for me so i modified the scraper for me to add this information with a carriage return line feed to the description. Waiting for your next update.

Btw i saw funny pink background color for the menu (Shutdown, Restart).
by rui » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:30 am
I was wondering if there was any desire to open up the theming even more for this. I've been messing around and would love to get something like this running:
by Aloshi » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:56 am
At the moment, EmulationStation runs at about 5 frames per second at 1920x1080 while rendering the games list, a game image, a description, and maybe a background image. My first priority is to move the rendering to Qt or something similar (I have yet to actually benchmark Qt - it might not be faster, but I bet it will be).

But! You do raise a good point for adding tags to define where various elements should be defined (e.g. where the description text starts and how wide it is, where the game image is placed, where the games list is placed). The ability to define images for the selector bar would be nice too. I don't know when I'll get around to working on ES again, but those sound like good ideas.
by octopositron » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:31 am
Pendor, when I try to access your script I get a 404. What's up with that?
by Aloshi » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:58 pm
I believe Pendor recently changed the URL for the scraper. I haven't updated the README in ES yet, but you should be able to find it here: https://github.com/elpendor/ES-scraper
by Pendor » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:33 pm
octopositron wrote:Pendor, when I try to access your script I get a 404. What's up with that?

Yep, what Aloshi said. The repo is here now.
by Aloshi » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:23 pm
The new renderer is almost ready. If you're interested in beta testing it, read this issue on the ES GitHub: https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStation/issues/17
by aguirrech » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:39 pm
Hi, i got it working well but i haven't any sound trough the HDMI. (Raspbian wheezy distro).

Could you help me to get this working?

Thanks
by Aloshi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:20 pm
That's an emulator issue. Assuming you're using RetroArch, try asking here: http://raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6750

(there's been a lot of discussion in the last few pages of the topic about audio too, so you might want to read that first)
by aguirrech » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:32 pm
Aloshi wrote:That's an emulator issue. Assuming you're using RetroArch, try asking here: http://raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6750

(there's been a lot of discussion in the last few pages of the topic about audio too, so you might want to read that first)

Thanks Aloshi
by banquet » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:15 pm
Can the keyboard mappings be changed? I have a game controller that is a hacked keyboard. My start button is the number 1 key. I would like this to launch a game however I can't find where this would be set up.
by Aloshi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:34 pm
There isn't a way to use custom keyboard mappings...sorry. I don't plan on adding it at the moment, but it should be pretty easy to change yourself:

1. Open up src/InputManager.cpp (e.g. "nano src/InputManager.cpp").
2. Find line 49. You can see it online here: https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStat ... er.cpp#L49
3. Change the "SDLK_WHATEVER" part to whatever key you want to use. You'll want to change the SDLK_RETURN part. You can see a table of all the possible values here: http://www.libsdl.org/cgi/docwiki.cgi/SDLKey
4. Save (Ctrl-O in nano) and re-run make to recompile.

Sorry for the hassle!
by banquet » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:09 am
Thanks Aloshi, that worked perfectly.
Just finished putting my pi in an arcade cabinet. EmulationStation and Retroarch are working great.
by DeepCrow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:29 am
Hey Aloshi, I have a question/request.
Would you be willing to add bindings for page up / page down in the list of roms? I could make folders of course, but one big list is so much nicer to flip through.

Related, would it be possible to preserve your rom selection when switching between emulators? Accidentally pressing left or right and then having to scroll back down is pretty frustrating.

Thanks and keep up the good work!