XBian - Small, Fast, Lightweight XBMC solution

613 posts   Page 4 of 25   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25
by burauzaa » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:42 am
First off, this is by far the smoothest implementation of XBMC that I have used on my 'Pi, congrats!

I've been using XBMC for a while, but I'm still getting the hang of the 'Pi, so can anyone point me in the right direction for how to configure my USB WIFI adapter in this? It does show up when it boots, but I don't see anywhere to connect it to my network.
by insanis » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:13 am
Hi!
Great job on this distribution, compact fast and has almost everything a man could want :D
Just wondering if someone have had any luck installing spotimc on xbian? Followed this http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=1179 but still not working properly :)
by 2be » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:58 pm
Oh, can't wait for 0.2, it looks great! Airplay is awesome!

Only thing I would like for 0.3 is a torrent program to start on startup that you can control through the webbrowser or the phone. ;)
by j0nnymoe » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:04 pm
2be wrote:Oh, can't wait for 0.2, it looks great! Airplay is awesome!

Only thing I would like for 0.3 is a torrent program to start on startup that you can control through the webbrowser or the phone. ;)

I would say that would go against the point of this release as it is suppose to be a lightweight XBMC Image.
RPi[1]: Arrived 5/7/12 | RPi[2]: Arrived 10/7/12

PSN/XBL: m0euk
SGS3 i9305: CyanogenMod10.1 Nightlies
by calisto » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:10 pm
Am using 0.2 & seems to be the fastest & smoothest so far. Just one problem with it, when I try to SSH into it I get this error with FIlezilla "Connection closed by server with exitcode 127" I am trying to get Icefilms up & running with a customized PY file & need to FTP that accross to te PI so Putty is a no go.

Thanks
by daitotsu » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:31 pm
Hi guys, i was wondering if this/these release(s) could be added to a torrent tracker. I'm getting crc errors when downloading via http this isnt a problem your end, its with my virginmedia hub which is corrupting the data stream only way i can download is via torrent as it does a crc check on each part of the file.

Thanks in advance if you can do this.
-daito
by mifune » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:48 pm
Has anyone tried to install lirc? I can not get it to work with the xbox dvd remote kit. I followed the instructions that are here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HO ... te_for_USB but does not work.
With openelec no problem.
Can anyone help me?
thanks
by terrier2006 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:14 pm
Thanks for the new release.

I am having a couple of issues could anyone confirm if they are seeing the same.

NFS and AFP do not work for me. When I try and add a source with either it wont go further than selecting the add NFS share.

When starting and stopping a video, the picture breifly drops back to the black screnn with the "Press c for command prompt or wait for xbmc to start"

I had to reduce the overclocking settings in the config.txt file because the Pi would freeze after a few minutes. I reduced the arm freq to 800 and removed the other setting.

I agree with j0nnymoe I would like to see this release as lightweight as possible. If you want to add torrent capabilities you can easily do this yourself, google is our friend.

Great work though by far the snappiest xbmc release for the Pi.
by fraz0815 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:18 pm
Nice one :)

Little feedback so far:

• I tested 0.2 since I read about the low idle cpu usage, but top over ssh showed constant >80%,
    so i checked for advancedsettings.xml, which wasn't there. Forgotten or intended? With the dirtyregion setting "3" it drops to ~50% (just used the values from raspbmc http://svn.stmlabs.com/filedetails.php?repname=raspbmc&path=%2Ftesting%2Ffirst-time-run%2Fftr.sh
  • Your overclocking values may still be too high for everyone, my Pi can't handle core_freq=450 without crashing every few minutes.
by dave_p » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:25 pm
I can't get xBian to use an NFS share, though I've never used xbmc before so it could be finger-trouble...

Browsing for the share (which is on a Mageia Linux server) doesn't work, and if I manually enter the path in the Add Source screen I get an 'unable to connect' error. However exiting XMBC and manually mounting the share does work.
by geoffreyc » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:26 pm
Could anyone tell me why no matter which version of this image I use, i keep getting a mutli-coloured image on boot and that's it. Am I doing something wrong? Using other image (raspbian) works perfectly?
by dom » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:38 pm
geoffreyc wrote:Could anyone tell me why no matter which version of this image I use, i keep getting a mutli-coloured image on boot and that's it. Am I doing something wrong? Using other image (raspbian) works perfectly?

Because it has been overclocked too much.

Remove config.txt (or comment out the *_freq entries).
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by ddg » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:51 pm
I experienced all the same issues AFP, NFS and black screen.

Also with as other Raspberry Pi XBMC distros, the AirTunes audio only component (shairport) does not work. This is one feature that I'd love to have working.

AirPlay video appears functional.

Playback is very good and definitely the fastest RPi XBMC I've tried. Still haven't configured wifi yet.
terrier2006 wrote:Thanks for the new release.

I am having a couple of issues could anyone confirm if they are seeing the same.

NFS and AFP do not work for me. When I try and add a source with either it wont go further than selecting the add NFS share.

When starting and stopping a video, the picture breifly drops back to the black screnn with the "Press c for command prompt or wait for xbmc to start"

I had to reduce the overclocking settings in the config.txt file because the Pi would freeze after a few minutes. I reduced the arm freq to 800 and removed the other setting.

I agree with j0nnymoe I would like to see this release as lightweight as possible. If you want to add torrent capabilities you can easily do this yourself, google is our friend.

Great work though by far the snappiest xbmc release for the Pi.
by nadnerb » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:37 pm
My impressions of Xbian 0.2 in no particular order:

- No faster than Raspbmc RC3 imo when scrolling though my library with fanart on.
- Fanart and TV posters aren't corrupted.
- Airplay audio and photos dont work, video does work
- Struggles with 720p DTS video that Raspbmc plays ok (both using the same config.txt settings)
- High cpu usage at idle
- NFS doesnt work
by rick19011 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:56 pm
nadnerb wrote:My impressions of Xbian 0.2 in no particular order:

- No faster than Raspbmc RC3 imo when scrolling though my library with fanart on.
- Struggles with 720p DTS video that Raspbmc plays ok (both using the same config.txt settings)
- High cpu usage at idle
- NFS doesnt work

What exactly do you expect???? XBian is on 0.2 version where as raspbmc has had far longer to be developed and is developing rc4, give it time and XBian will undoubtedly be one of the most favored ones to use, it has a lot of potential.
by Nu7s » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:23 pm
I just tried v0.2 and now I don't have the crash on music anymore. Only at the start of every mp3 file the playback slows down for 1/4 second. But you have done an awesome job! Thanks.
by airwave » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:47 pm
1080p video / DTS sound over SMB, gigabit LAN (although RPi only does 100 Mbps): glitchy, frequent freezes (like 1/2-1 second every 15-20 seconds). Overall, seems worse performance than 0.1.1.
Idle CPU consumption lower - 60% or thereabouts.
NFS not working - error listed is "nmblookup: not found", but I can't seem to be able to find the right package.

Bottom line - still no perfect solution for 1080p/DTS, best workaround I've found was converting movies to AAC sound with VidCoder, which ensures flawless playback.
by nadnerb » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:56 pm
rick19011 wrote:
nadnerb wrote:My impressions of Xbian 0.2 in no particular order:

- High cpu usage at idle
- NFS doesnt work

What exactly do you expect???? XBian is on 0.2 version where as raspbmc has had far longer to be developed and is developing rc4, give it time and XBian will undoubtedly be one of the most favored ones to use, it has a lot of potential.

I'm just stating my observations from testing out xbian, I don't expect anything from a 0.2 release.
There are many people in this thread saying Xbian is the fastest XBMC on the Pi.
IMO, it's no faster and doesn't perform any better than the current alternative XBMC distros.
by norp » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:27 pm
Managed to install HDMI CEC on xbian 0.2
For those interested here are the steps:

Code: Select all
cd /usr/bin
mv rpi-cecd rpi-cecd.old
wget -k https://github.com/olajep/rpi-cecd/raw/binary/rpi-cecd
chmod +x rpi-cecd
ln -s /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 /lib/ld-linux.so.3
nano /etc/init.d/rpi-cecd.sh
chmod +x rpi-cecd.sh
update-rc.d rpi-cecd.sh defaults

Here's the rip-cecd.sh script

#! /bin/sh

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          rpi-cecd
# Required-Start:    $all
# Required-Stop:     $all
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: starts instance of rpi-cecd to enable the remote control
# Description:       starts instance of rpi-cecd to enable the remote control
### END INIT INFO

############### EDIT ME ##################

# path to xinit exec
DAEMON=/usr/bin/rpi-cecd

# script name
NAME=rpi-cecd

# app name
DESC=RPI-CECD

# user
RUN_AS=root

# Path of the PID file
PID_FILE=/var/run/rpi-cecd.pid

############### END EDIT ME ##################

test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

set -e

case "$1" in
  start)
        echo "Starting $DESC"
        start-stop-daemon --start -c $RUN_AS --background --pidfile $PID_FILE  --make-pidfile --exec $DAEMON
        ;;
  stop)
        echo "Stopping $DESC"
        start-stop-daemon --stop --pidfile $PID_FILE
        ;;

restart|force-reload)
        echo "Restarting $DESC"
        sleep 5
        start-stop-daemon --start -c $RUN_AS --background --pidfile $PID_FILE  --make-pidfile --exec $DAEMON
        ;;
  *)
        N=/etc/init.d/$NAME
        echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

exit 0

Running smoothly on a Samsung TV set
cheers
by Koenkk » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:34 pm
norp wrote:Managed to install HDMI CEC on xbian 0.2
For those interested here are the steps:

cd /usr/bin
mv rpi-cecd rpi-cecd.old
wget -k https://github.com/olajep/rpi-cecd/raw/binary/rpi-cecd
chmod +x rpi-cecd
ln -s /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 /lib/ld-linux.so.3
nano /etc/init.d/rpi-cecd.sh
chmod +x rpi-cecd.sh
update-rc.d rpi-cecd.sh defaults

Here's the rip-cecd.sh script

#! /bin/sh

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          rpi-cecd
# Required-Start:    $all
# Required-Stop:     $all
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: starts instance of rpi-cecd to enable the remote control
# Description:       starts instance of rpi-cecd to enable the remote control
### END INIT INFO

############### EDIT ME ##################

# path to xinit exec
DAEMON=/usr/bin/rpi-cecd

# script name
NAME=rpi-cecd

# app name
DESC=RPI-CECD

# user
RUN_AS=root

# Path of the PID file
PID_FILE=/var/run/rpi-cecd.pid

############### END EDIT ME ##################

test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

set -e

case "$1" in
  start)
        echo "Starting $DESC"
        ;;
  stop)
        echo "Stopping $DESC"
        ;;

restart|force-reload)
        echo "Restarting $DESC"
        sleep 5
        ;;
  *)
        N=/etc/init.d/$NAME
        echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

exit 0

Running smoothly on a Samsung TV set
cheers

Thanks ! Will be built-in in a newer version of xbian!
by Koenkk » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:40 pm
XBian 0.3 is out, see xbian.blogspot.nl , good luck with it!
by Mr.Dave » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:47 am
Trying version 0.3 now :)

Unfortunately on a 2GB MicroSD......

Does anyone know where I put my 8GB MicroSD ? I have a feeling it was "somewhere safe" :D
by Koenkk » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:51 am
Mr.Dave wrote:Trying version 0.3 now :)

Does anyone know where I put my 8GB MicroSD ? I have a feeling it was "somewhere safe" :D

Maybe ur raspberry pi was hungry ^^
by Mr.Dave » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:58 am
Koenkk wrote:
Mr.Dave wrote:Trying version 0.3 now :)

Maybe ur raspberry pi was hungry ^^

:D It shouldn't be hungry, it's made of Raspberry Pi !
by justinvoelker » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:25 am
I'm blown away by how quickly XBian is being developed and released. A new release every day? I love it!

What I'm wondering is how is everyone getting 1080p video to play so well? I ripped a BluRay with DVD Catalyst set to h264 and acc at 1080, yet I have terrible playback video. It looks fine on my computer, but when I put it on an external harddrive and play it through xbmc, it has the pixelated look attached. It is terrible on fast moving scenes, but during slow scenes is far less noticeable.

Please, someone tell me I'm doing something stupid and simple to fix.
Attachments
IMAG0332.jpg
IMAG0332.jpg (34.32 KiB) Viewed 5750 times