Xbian + WiFi where am i going wrong?

26 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by Step » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:01 pm
I must be missing something very obvious, i'm using XBian 0.6.3 and RTL8188CUS WiFi dongle (Netgear WNA1000M) and for the life of me I cant get my head around the setup on this.

I'm assuming I need to edit the install-rtl8188cus.sh file with the SSID password etc but which bits do i need to amend? sorry if I sound somewhat thick being Dyslexic coding can be a total nightmare for me at times.
I've got everything else working perfectly just the WiFi is my stumbling point.
by tbr » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:18 pm
Apologies for this being pretty unhelpful with regards to your question but I just wanted to quickly share my personal experience with this subject.

Basically after 2 days following various pieces of googled advice regarding wifi and the raspberry pi I gave up on xbian, I'm a complete command line noob but not a stupid person and I couldn't get it working. I switched to raspbmc to see if that would work and I had wifi working in about 5 mins. (basically plug in the wifi dongle and thats it)

I'm not knocking xbian but I found for my situation it was easier to get wifi working on raspbmc.
by Step » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:39 pm
tbr wrote:Apologies for this being pretty unhelpful with regards to your question but I just wanted to quickly share my personal experience with this subject.

Basically after 2 days following various pieces of googled advice regarding wifi and the raspberry pi I gave up on xbian, I'm a complete command line noob but not a stupid person and I couldn't get it working. I switched to raspbmc to see if that would work and I had wifi working in about 5 mins. (basically plug in the wifi dongle and thats it)

I'm not knocking xbian but I found for my situation it was easier to get wifi working on raspbmc.

i looked an raspbmc but was put off by the fact you cant store the image, ive a pair of SD cards i mount various images to when needed so i can try things. As theres no actual full image you can download
by tbr » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:50 pm
Step wrote:
tbr wrote:i looked an raspbmc but was put off by the fact you cant store the image, ive a pair of SD cards i mount various images to when needed so i can try things. As theres no actual full image you can download

Can't you make your own image? Set up raspbmc on the sd card then make an image from that?
by Ed Raket » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:49 am
1. Remove wifi adapter from Pi
2. Start Xbian
3. Go to "programs" and select "Xbian settings", upon "install wifi next reboot" select YES
4. Reboot
5. Wifi install script starts, read the instructions and make the selections (insert adapter when asked)
6. Restart and enjoy
by Step » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:57 pm
Ed Raket wrote:1. Remove wifi adapter from Pi
2. Start Xbian
3. Go to "programs" and select "Xbian settings", upon "install wifi next reboot" select YES
4. Reboot
5. Wifi install script starts, read the instructions and make the selections (insert adapter when asked)
6. Restart and enjoy

Thanks Ed, that worked, sort of. did as you advised put in the SSID and WPA2 key when prompted unfortunately its now sat on
Code: Select all
ADDRCOM(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link become ready

With the flashing activity light on the card (blue flashy light is progress in my book)

Ive checked the SSID and i have my PC linked to it as well. re imaged the SD card same issue., do i need to manually change it to wlan1?
by Ed Raket » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:51 pm
Step wrote:
2. Start Xbian
4. Reboot
6. Restart and enjoy

Thanks Ed, that worked, sort of. did as you advised put in the SSID and WPA2 key when prompted unfortunately its now sat on
Code: Select all
ADDRCOM(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link become ready

With the flashing activity light on the card (blue flashy light is progress in my book)

Ive checked the SSID and i have my PC linked to it as well. re imaged the SD card same issue., do i need to manually change it to wlan1?

Sorry what do you mean by "its now sat on", does the bootproces halt at this point?
by Juggler » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:35 am
only few adapters are supported, which are marketed as 8188. mine stops on xbian at "firmware request failed"
by Step » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:57 am
My bad had a brainwave at about 7AM this morning. forgot I hadn't registered the MAC ID on the router :roll: did that, ran the config on a clean image worked first time. Its now working perfectly tested by adding an RSS feed and some addons.

Ill be pulling that file for safe keeping!
by Ed Raket » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:18 pm
Step wrote:My bad had a brainwave at about 7AM this morning. forgot I hadn't registered the MAC ID on the router :roll: did that, ran the config on a clean image worked first time. Its now working perfectly tested by adding an RSS feed and some addons.

Ill be pulling that file for safe keeping!

Nice to hear it worked out, enjoy ;)
by dnhime » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:52 pm
Juggler wrote:only few adapters are supported, which are marketed as 8188. mine stops on xbian at "firmware request failed"

Mine keeps getting hung at the "firmware request failed"
any suggestions?
by Koenkk » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:16 pm
Try XBian 1.0 Alpha 1. You can very easily setup wifi by ssh'ing in . 2. settings -> WLAN Setup.
by castalla » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:01 am
Nope - Edimax setup didn't work for me! Script in 0.8.3 worked fine, nothing in Alpha.
by plame » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:16 am
I wonder how the performance in xbian is holding up for those of you who managed to install a wifi adapter.
I installed a TP-Link TL-WN723N successfully and connected it to a Belkin F4U018 7-port powered hub (i know, the one with lots of issues) and i get the wifi network to run but i'm having trouble running 720p and above as it starts buffering. Can the problem be with the hub or the fact that my router is not a N standard?

Do anyone else have these buffering problems?
by redhawk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:35 am
Xbian 0.8.3 + Netgear WNDA3200 (aka Virgin Media dongle) can stream BBC iPlayer 720p videos just fine for me.
My dongle is connected directly to the PI (not a powered hub) also USB polyfuses have been bridged to boost power.

My guess is your USB hub is the likely culprit I've found that many don't provide the full USB 2.0 speed they claim to be, so try running your dongle directly from the PI unless you have the old polyfused USB ports.

It's also a good idea to check your broadband connection speed perhaps you're experiencing bandwidth problems with your ISP??

Alternative try streaming the same 720p videos using the PC version of XBMC if it's having problems too then you know it's not a wifi problem.

Richard S.
by plame » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:52 am
I also run xbian 0.8.3.
The problem only occurs when i use wifi on the rpi. If i use ethernet cable from the router to rpi there is no problem, then i can stream 1080p x264 via SMB from my laptop with zero buffering. And my laptop is connected wirelessly to the router.
So either it is to much for my budget router to handle two wifi connections on the same time OR there is some problem with either the wifi dongle or the hub.

I have ordered the Newlink 4-port hub "N14320".
I hope that will solve the problem.
by castalla » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:32 pm
Setting up the wifi (with static address) is problematic in the Alpha version of Xbian. You need to edit the network interfaces file (depending on your router setup). Try checking the Xbiian forum for help - if the stupid infantile hackers haven't brought it down again :evil: :evil: :evil:

Having said that, I have very few issues with performance via wifi - the router (a Huawei 532) is currently serving 2 PCs, a wifi internet radio, live streaming on the Pi, and live streaming on a Roku.

An n-standard router is probably worth the investment.
by 0xFF » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:48 pm
2. Start Xbian
4. Reboot
6. Restart and enjoy

Hi,
My "programs" directory is empty. I tried also command line xbian-config. No luck with wifi setup :(
by 5V0 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:30 am
Same here. There are no setting in the programs menu.

How do I set up Wi-Pi dongle with Xbian?
by castalla » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:37 am
You need to use PuTTY to access xbian - type xbian-config - this opens the xbian setup. Choose Settings - Networking.

This applies to xbian alpha images.
by 5V0 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:56 pm
I have tried this and it leads me to a networking setup > WLAN. I've tried DHCP and it says it works, yet once I restart there's still no connection.
by moocow1452 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:12 am
Same here, managed to get it to the blue settings screen without having to SSH, but even starting xbmc from there after changing wireless does nothing. Too bad Raspbmc freezes every time I sneeze on it in my experience.
by arsonone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:33 pm
I too was having the same issues and when you are running wifi on your Raspberry pi you will not have all the indicator lights lighting up. I went into xbmc, then system info and it told me that it was connected to the internet. Hope this helps.
by drgeoff » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:33 am
arsonone wrote:I too was having the same issues and when you are running wifi on your Raspberry pi you will not have all the indicator lights lighting up. I went into xbmc, then system info and it told me that it was connected to the internet. Hope this helps.

The three LEDs (FDX, LNK and 10/100M) apply only to the wired ethernet connection.
by arsonone » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:43 pm
The three LEDs (FDX, LNK and 10/100M) apply only to the wired ethernet connection.

Yes, I know. But there was a person somewhere asking why the indicator lights were not coming on...whether or not it was this forum is beyond me...lol. I must have read a hundred posts trying to figure this thing out. I have yet to read a single post that deals with xbian 1.0.4a so here is what I did and it worked fine. install said wifi dongle, use putty or what ever program suites your OS to SSH into your pi. Go to settings, then Networking, select DCHP (unless your wanting to assign a static IP which I will assume you already know how to do), enter your SSID and Password, hit enter and it will update the settings right then and there. Exit putty and reboot your pi and voila! Your pi should now have wifi.