XBMC

4 posts
by AJ123 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:43 am
Hi

I have recently bought the pi and have set up raspbmc as i want to use it as a media centre.
I have a 16Gb SD card which it boots from and an external hard drive connected to it which is a 1TB USB 2.0 drive. I use a Y usb wire one connected to a usb plug to power the drive and the other end connected to a USB extention going into a USB powered hub which is going into the pi. The drive is mounted so xbmc can pick it up.

The main problem I am having is all my videos keep freezing after every 10 seconds, I know the file is still playing because the video duration is still counting.

I even converted one of my videos thinking it was the video format being the problem casuing it to freeze but even a MPEG-4 AAC 720p video froze.

I have no problem streaming videos, IT IS only videos that i play from my external hard drive which makes no sense to me at all becauase it should be playing videos flawlessly if it off a usb drive :? :?

Does anyone have any idea of what the problem may be. I would appreciate any help

Thanks
by curiousMind » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:44 pm
what type is your hard drive. 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch?
If it's 3.5 you should have its own power supply. And you can connect both end of the Y cable to the pi connected usb hub.
If it's 2.5. you need a powered usb hub and you don't need to have an external power supply for the HD.
I think your problem is the fact your using an usb extension and the fact your splitting the usb into two. I had a lot issues using usb extersion some of them don't work properly. and You should not definitely split the Y cable using one for power as you will have less bandwidth.
Hope that helps :)
by AJ123 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:23 pm
Hi curiousMind

I have a 2.5inch 1TB intenso hard drive.

I have been looking on the internet today and I came across a post about the exact same usb hub I am using it is a little black and silver dynamode 7 port usb 2.0 hub http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamode-7-port ... B009K0YS68

It seems this hub isn't providing enough power to the drive which could be the reason my videos keep freezing. I will try connecting one of my usb to the pi directly and with the end into the iphone usb plug charger as that outputs enough power.
by curiousMind » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:05 pm
i'm using this hub : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-PORT-MAINS- ... 416362ec91
with one 2.5 hd attached with Y usb cable directly and another 3.5 1tb (the latter having its own power). Pi servers media trough miniDLNA with no problem.

I don't understand why you need an "iPhone plug charger" while you could easly power the drive through your hub. connecting directly your hd to pi will suck all the power from pi and you are likely to run into problems with your pi.
Just try connecting the two end of the Y into the hub and test the difference. :D