SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

488 posts   Page 6 of 20   1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20
by drgeoff » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:21 pm
jojojojojojo wrote:
drgeoff wrote:
scotspaul wrote:If your after a cheap USB DAC I've heard great things about this item, http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-D3-Coaxial ... B0053VKP8S given its price.

I cannot say if the great things that apparently have been heard about that converter are true. I can say that it is definitely not a USB DAC. It has no USB interface. It requires a SPDIF input (coax or optical) which the RPi does not provide.

(Also, today's English lesson: The proper contraction of "you are" is "you're", not "your".)

So you say that picture 5 (top left corner pictures, the one with the schematics) in his link is wrong?

I'm not sure what picture you are referring to, but if you are asking about the mini-USB socket it is clearly labelled as "Power In DC 5v".. Anyway scotspaul has given a corrected link in a post above.
by pbattino » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:50 am
truehl wrote:
pbattino wrote:
I'm not saying it's broken, I'm just saying that, under a common configuration (DHCP, use WIFI, or use ETH if cable connected) there's a useless waste of time at boot. It's somehow unusual, I think.
Especially given the fact that there's no cable in the ETH interface, and AFAIK it is possible to detect whether the cable is plugged in or not.

o.k. understood, if you know how to implement this, please tell us here and I'll try to implement it!

I don't know but I will find out! :D I'm pretty new to Linux but I want to learn more. I'll contact you when I have found a solution. I think it will turn your distro much more user-friendly.
by Boomer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:35 pm
Phil,

Been tied up for a while and just implemented your fix for my DAC. Seems to be working like a charm!! Many thanks to Thomas and you for this!!!

Jack
by jeremyroebuck » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:59 am
Hi all
I've got V5 working perfectly, many thanks to Thomas & everyone else who contributed. Now it's all working as I want it I thought I'd backup the SD card. Having tried and failed in Windows (cyclic redundancy check error message) I thought I'd let the Pi do the work with a dd command. I managed to find plenty of help on the web.

However, what I cannot find is the sd card! The instructions I found point me to the dev folder and to look for something like mmcblk but I've been through all the folders within dev and cannot see it

So - to cut a long story short - can someone tell me where V5 mounts the SD card please. Any help much appreciated
Jeremy
by drgeoff » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:15 am
jeremyroebuck wrote:Hi all
I've got V5 working perfectly, many thanks to Thomas & everyone else who contributed. Now it's all working as I want it I thought I'd backup the SD card. Having tried and failed in Windows (cyclic redundancy check error message) I thought I'd let the Pi do the work with a dd command. I managed to find plenty of help on the web.

However, what I cannot find is the sd card! The instructions I found point me to the dev folder and to look for something like mmcblk but I've been through all the folders within dev and cannot see it

So - to cut a long story short - can someone tell me where V5 mounts the SD card please. Any help much appreciated
Jeremy

The 'mount' command with no arguments reveals that /dev/mmcblk0p1 is mounted as /boot. The command 'fdisk -l' shows that /dev/mmcblk0p3 is the Linux partition. I take it that that partition is '/'.
by klaypigeon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:34 pm
truehl wrote:
With my 256 RPi I use the following setup:
Turbo mode 1GHz
16 MB for GPU
496 MB for CPU

How do we enable turbo mode in squeezeplug? In default raspbian I believe you can do it from raspi-config command, which is not present in squeezeplug. Anyone give a little tutorial?
by pbattino » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:35 pm
truehl wrote:
pbattino wrote:Also: boot takes forever because DHCP on the ethernet alone wastes almost 1 minute....

o.k. understood, if you know how to implement this, please tell us here and I'll try to implement it!

I think the easiest way is to change the /etc/network/interfaces file from
Code: Select all
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

to
Code: Select all
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

I tried and it works well: the boot phase is quicker, no waiting for DHCP, and the DHCP request is sent only if the ethernet cable is attached (or if the wifi is plugged in, if you do the same for the wifi).

(I think if you remove the cable afterwards there's no automatic switch on / off of the interface. It isn't really critical for me, but for those who want real hot-plug capability they can just remove all the interfaces from /etc/network/interfaces and install instead the daemon wicd-curses instead)
by CommanderROR » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:44 am
Hi,

I'm using my Pi with Squeezeplug 5.02 and LMS/Squeezeslave as a Webradio and Wimp player. This works very well, controlling it all (headless setup) from an android smartphone.

I'd like to get a pair of really good speakers though as the currently connected cheapo PC speakers don't exaclty shine when playing classical music, so I'm looking for the best way to do this.

If I buy good speakers and connect them to the Analogue 3.5mm jack then I'll probably have trouble with the less than optimal Analogue output of the Pi. The worst issues have been resolved with latest Firmware, but it's still low quality as far as I am aware.
Getting a set of HDMI speakers would be ideal, but the selection is pretty limited as far as I can tell there are only "Soundbar" type speakers to be had.
Connecting normal speakers to a USB soundcard is worth a try, but so far I have not managed it.

I've got two old USB soundcards lying around, a Creative Xmod and a simple Logitech Headset USB Sound converter. I managed to get the Logitech thing working on Raspbmc with Pulseaudio in the past, so it does work.
Both are recognized and the drivers are installed, both are automatically set as card0 and should be used by LMS, but both fail to play anything. I get no errors, but also no sound. I tried to work my way through the various tutorials on the web, but all the setting they recommend are already correct in my case. I'm using a powered USB hub btw. I'm hoping somebody here can give me a hint how to get this working. Only hint that something is wrong comes from the output of aplay that claimed the Soundcard was busy.
I'd also like some advice on selecting HDMI speakers or getting a regular Cinch or 3.5mm jack output out of the HDMI signal as alternatives.

Thanks.
by CommanderROR » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:01 am
Hi,

I'm using my Pi with Squeezeplug 5.02 and LMS/Squeezeslave as a Webradio and Wimp player. This works very well, controlling it all (headless setup) from an android smartphone.

I'd like to get a pair of really good speakers though as the currently connected cheapo PC speakers don't exaclty shine when playing classical music, so I'm looking for the best way to do this.

If I buy good speakers and connect them to the Analogue 3.5mm jack then I'll probably have trouble with the less than optimal Analogue output of the Pi. The worst issues have been resolved with latest Firmware, but it's still low quality as far as I am aware.
Getting a set of HDMI speakers would be ideal, but the selection is pretty limited as far as I can tell there are only "Soundbar" type speakers to be had.
Connecting normal speakers to a USB soundcard is worth a try, but so far I have not managed it.

I've got two old USB soundcards lying around, a Creative Xmod and a simple Logitech Headset USB Sound converter. I managed to get the Logitech thing working on Raspbmc with Pulseaudio in the past, so it does work.
Both are recognized and the drivers are installed, both are automatically set as card0 and should be used by LMS, but both fail to play anything. I get no errors, but also no sound. I tried to work my way through the various tutorials on the web, but all the setting they recommend are already correct in my case. I'm using a powered USB hub btw. I'm hoping somebody here can give me a hint how to get this working. Only hint that something is wrong comes from the output of aplay that claimed the Soundcard was busy.
I'd also like some advice on selecting HDMI speakers or getting a regular Cinch or 3.5mm jack output out of the HDMI signal as alternatives.

Thanks.
by bobbydriver » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:59 pm
Quick question about the Squeezeplug image...have you removed all GUI xterm type stuff?

I installed OMXplayer from your menu and it works fine from command line, but trying to install the TBOPlayer it seems to want to start an X session of some description and the $display isn't set or anything.

Is there an easy way to add the xterm bits back in to the image?
by truehl » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:30 pm
bobbydriver wrote:Quick question about the Squeezeplug image...have you removed all GUI xterm type stuff?

No, x-stuff is not removed, it's simply not installed! That's because SqueezePlug is a headless project! I used the Raspbian Installer http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianInstaller
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by vuki » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:36 am
Hi Thomas,
could you please tell me if the older versions of SB server work on Squeezeplug V5 because I can't get it going? The problem is that browser can't connect to it (squeezeplug:9000). Current LMS works fine. But I would love to use SB server 7.5.x. It worked fine with squeezeplug V4.

Regards,
Vuki
by truehl » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:13 am
vuki wrote:Hi Thomas,
could you please tell me if the older versions of SB server work on Squeezeplug V5 because I can't get it going? The problem is that browser can't connect to it (squeezeplug:9000). Current LMS works fine. But I would love to use SB server 7.5.x. It worked fine with squeezeplug V4.

Regards,
Vuki

Sorry, but I don't know! I have not the time to test all version. I've tested the current and a nightly version!

Right now I'm thinking about making a new additional SoftFloat version, because this version runs with every version of SqueezeServer (LMS) and plugins like Spotify also run, as far as I know! HardFloat is very nice in performance, but it lacks in comparability sometimes!
truehl
by vuki » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:42 am
truehl wrote:Sorry, but I don't know! I have not the time to test all version. I've tested the current and a nightly version!

Right now I'm thinking about making a new additional SoftFloat version, because this version runs with every version of SqueezeServer (LMS) and plugins like Spotify also run, as far as I know! HardFloat is very nice in performance, but it lacks in comparability sometimes!

OK. Thank you for your prompt answer.
by bobbydriver » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:59 am
truehl wrote:No, x-stuff is not removed, it's simply not installed! That's because SqueezePlug is a headless project! I used the Raspbian Installer http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianInstaller

Ah OK - understood. Is there a simple way to get an Xserver running on the Squeezeplug image for any additional packages that might need it? I don't really want the full desktop environment
by cubii » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:29 pm
Hi
I am struggling to get owncloud and crashplan to work.
If somebody could post a howto to get owncloud working with a path to a external hd and with bigger filesize limit (2 gb for example) this would be really appreciated.

THe same accounts for crasplan, i cannot connect from the desktop pc to the raspi...

Thanks in advance!
by cubii » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:39 pm
Found that crashplan is installing fine, first start is also ok, but it stops shortly...
a restart doesnt help, after some seconds it crashes

after reading the (whole ) internet i found this blog :http://www.jonrogers.co.uk/2012/05/crashplan-on-the-raspberry-pi/

and after downloading two patched files ( libjtux.so and libmd5.so) from him crashplan starts ok and runs ok.

And after following this howto : http://www.liquidstate.net/blog/technol ... emote-gui/

The connection to the desktop pc was running ok (after restarting the pi and the desktop pc)

Now i can use the pi as backupserver and Squeezebox server!

Next is getting owncloud to accept my different saving location!
And of course testing crashplan.

Perhaps truehl you can include the two files from jonrogers?
by truehl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:19 pm
cubii wrote:Perhaps truehl you can include the two files from jonrogers?

Hi cubii,
thanks a lot for the hint! I'll definitely will check this and include it in the upcoming patch! There is already a patch on the way with some other important bugfixes. I hope I'll get it ready in the end of the weekend!
truehl
by truehl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:18 pm
Update to 5.03 available

A new update is available. This is an important mayor patch for all users.

You can easily update your RPi by:
"setup" <Advanced_Configuration> <Update_SP>

Newer patches already contains older! This means that the 5.03 Patch includes the 5.01 and 5.02 patch., so you have to run the update routine only once!

I like to make SqueezePlug better and better.

Patch History:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
initial version
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
expand_rootfs_2.disabled: Hint included for the process is taking some time
lib.sh: Changed some text to make it more clear
smb.default: Changed because of a wrong mount point for the media library
rpi_fw_update.sh: Changed some text for warnings
System updated to the new stable version of raspbian including firmware support for the new 512 RAM boards
rpi_memory_split.sh: Changed because of the new memory-split mechanism
squeezeslave.armhf: SqueezeSlave new version squeezeslave-1.2-381-armhf-lnx32
update WiFi and other drivers for Debian HF (Raspbian)
update crashplan to fix a bug
install a new HQ LMS-Player, SqueezeLite
truehl
by truehl » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:51 am
Hi folks,
I like to give you some more information about the new 5.03 patch. There are a lot of improvements in this patch it's worth talking about:
1. SqueezePlug is now ready for the new 512 MB RAM Pi's. The firmware will be updated by the patch and you can now use your full size of RAM. By default SqueezePlug will use 16 MB of RAM for the GPU and the rest for the CPU. You can change this during the update process if you like.
2. I've integrated the /lib/firmware directory from the official Raspbian version and some more drivers for WiFi adapters. I tested all my seven WiFi dongles and the all seven now works! The nano adapters work without a powered hub, the normal size only with a powered hub. I'll tell you here which ones work later!
3. There are some other improvements like a new version of SqueezeSlave and some bugfixes e.g. a fix for Crashplan.
4. But the best at the end: I've integrated a new player for LMS. It's called SqueezeLite. SqueezeLite is a small headless squeezebox emulator for linux using alsa audio output. It is aimed at supporting high quality audio including usb dac based output at multiple sample rates including 41/48/96/192k. The initial version supports built in pcm (wav/aiff) decode plus flac and mp3 via libFLAC and libmad if they are present on your machine.

I was very impressed while checking out SqueezeLite. It has a very good sound, supports all formats I need, uses very less resources! It simply looks and sounds great! SqueezeLite is from Adrian Smith, as far as I know he is also the developer of the Spotify Plugin for LMS. So SqueezeLite will probably support Spotify from the player side. I don't know if the Spotify Plugin works from the server side on ARM hard float, because I don't use Spotify so far. But I'm sure some of you will give that a try. Also the "Smurf" Sound while listening to some radio stations should not accure with SqueezeLite. SqueezeLite is in a very early development stadium but it runs ultra stable as far as I can see. Thanks a lot to Adrian Smith and to Duane Paddock for the development of this great player. The binaries are from Adrian and Duane, b.t.w. the developer of SqueezeSlave has compiled it to ARM hf on a Pi I send him to Canada as an early Christmas gift, to thank him for all the work with SqueezeSlave.

There are no start scripts right now, so I did some quick and dirty integration. I'll change this later when a init.d script is available. You will get a patch then.

So please check out the patch and tell me what you think about it!

Have fun
Thomas
truehl
by CommanderROR » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 am
I installed you update and it went fine, however, now I'm having massive distortions with any Internet Radio Station I play, no matter whether I use Squeezeslave or Squeezelite. I have no idea why this happens...

I did not change anything besides installing the update. My soundcard is a USB Terratec Aureon Dual (listed in the supported devices). Only possible explanation I have so far is that it might be a conflict between the new Squeezeplug and the Alsaequal plugin I'm running. I'll try to exclude that and then retest.
by CommanderROR » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:21 pm
Ok, I reimaged, reinstalled everything, but no joy. Even tried it with analogue audio instead of USB, but the same distorted aound remains. Am I the only one with this problem?
by CommanderROR » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:50 pm
OK, found the error, the Squeezelight version you included is buggy, updated version does not have the problems anymore. Why Squeezeslave was also affected I don't know, maybe it didn't properly get deselected when I changed over to try.

So, with an updated Squeezelight everything should be fine.
by Argon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:57 pm
How did you installed the new Squeezelight udpate? Or is it included int the Squeezeplug version?
by CommanderROR » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:03 pm
I'm still trying to get it working. The distortion was due to the bugs in the initial release of Squeezelight, but getting the new version in is proving to be hard. I downloaded it diretly from Google Code and can get it to start by feeding it to the installer, but it currently does not want to play any sound.

I hope the SP developer will give us a hotfix which downloads the most recent SL version from the project repo.