SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

450 posts   Page 12 of 18   1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18
by castalla » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:00 pm
I've had so many problems trying to get version 5 working, including the first ever scan fails & lockups I've experienced on various platforms, that I'm reverting to version 4.

Here's hoping that works as reliably as it did previously.
by mwebster » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:19 pm
Are you using WiFi or network cable?

Network cable. Sounds fine except when I switch tracks. I noticed a new asound.conf file is included, but tried with and without it and also tried others that were posted in this thread. I don't understand because it was working fine with what I believe is the same firmware for the beta build of squeezeplug.

the first ever scan fails & lockups

For what it's worth - After figuring out how to set up the network stuff using fstab, my scan worked fine and executed very quickly.
by mwebster » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:46 am
I resolved my audio issues by not running lms on the rpi. Now I'm just using it as a player and the audio is fine.
by zerosub » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:24 am
mwebster wrote:I resolved my audio issues by not running lms on the rpi. Now I'm just using it as a player and the audio is fine.

I had that, too.
Running LMS and squeezeslave at the same time, resulted in Audio hickups at the time you klick on a link in the web interface. But that was already in version 4.
by StephenR » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:39 am
Wonder if this is power supply related. I have 2A PSU. Been running the V5 with the patches, LMS and player continuously no problem. All new install on SD Card, music files on XP box on network. Can also simultaneously play music on my phone with Squeezeplayer app. No noise issues. Can't do any of this wireless or with any other USB thing. USB interferes badly with sound from headphone jack.

cheers,

Stephen
by mwebster » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:27 am
Wonder if this is power supply related.

Don't think so. I looked at things on a scope with my current supply and didn't see anything. Then I soldered in some connections and powered the rpi from a bench power supply. I see around 630 mA load on the supply. I'm still having random hiccups in the audio. Very few when doing nothing, but frequent after switching tracks. The volume of the hiccup is independent of the volume of the music playing. I can set alsamixer at minimum and still hear the same disturbance after switching tracks at the same volume.

The only thing I can think of that might be odd about my setup is that I have two network switches between my rpi and my router. I don't know why that would make any difference.
by StephenR » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:11 am
mwebster wrote:
Wonder if this is power supply related.

Don't think so. I looked at things on a scope with my current supply and didn't see anything. Then I soldered in some connections and powered the rpi from a bench power supply. I see around 630 mA load on the supply. I'm still having random hiccups in the audio. Very few when doing nothing, but frequent after switching tracks. The volume of the hiccup is independent of the volume of the music playing. I can set alsamixer at minimum and still hear the same disturbance after switching tracks at the same volume.

The only thing I can think of that might be odd about my setup is that I have two network switches between my rpi and my router. I don't know why that would make any difference.

Have you got any USB stuff hooked up to it?
by mwebster » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:57 pm
Have you got any USB stuff hooked up to it?

No. I only have the power supply, ethernet, and audio connections.
by Jayrcee » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:04 am
With the announcement of the 512MB version of the Pi becoming available, in what ways will Squeezeplug development benefit from the upgrade?
by bobbydriver » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:57 pm
I received a 512mb RPi yesterday and I have installed Squeezeplug - happy to report performance stats once I've got it up and running
by peejy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:36 am
Hi, My powered usb hard drive is not mounted using the squeezebox software. I can manually mount it using mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/hd1 and then do a service minidnla force-reload and all then works perfectly. Each time I reboot I have to repeat this. I have tried formatting using the setup options but every time it says not mounted. Also tried other usb sticks etc but same problem. I would appreciate any help. Thanks
by nmgeek » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:41 pm
I'm lovin' the iLuv USB adapter. I got it working with squeezeslave on my Pi and it sounds
good enough for my tastes. And that's considerably better than the headphone jack on my
Pi. (The headphone jack had a low-pitched rumble with occasional low-end thumps at
random intervals.)

After reading all the posts about better sound with USB sound cards I hauled myself down
to the nearest store which might have one: that's OfficeMax. The associates at OfficeMax
didn't even know they stocked a USB sound card. That's because it is displayed in the
cable/adapter section. The iLuv rack mostly consists of the plethora of
display adapters needed to connect the various models of Apple laptops to external
displays and projectors. But low and behold they have an "Audio Adapter" which is
what we call a USB sound card. ($25)

It took hours of googling and experimenting to figure out how to get squeezeslave to send
audio to the new sound card. In the end all that was needed was an edit to /etc/init.d/squeezeslave
to pass the -nsysdefault parameter to squeezeslave:

I changed,
Code: Select all
SSOPTIONS="-y84"

to,
SSOPTIONS="-y84 -nsysdefault"

(As best I can tell the undocumented default value for this parameter is 'default') I would have saved a great
deal of time if I had known that running squeezeslave -L on the command line
while squeezeslave daemon is running returns a partial list of audio devices. Presumably
it's the list of devices not already grabbed by the running daemon.

Until now I had been trying to create a headless music player with OpenElec.
But the RPi version of OpenElec is pre-release. The remote procedure call interface is a moving target so all the remote control apps are broken in one way or another. The linux file systems are read-only so you can't simply add missing drivers. And I wasn't convinced all the necessary options would be configurable remotely. I think I was going to have to haul in a TV every now and then to set some esoteric XBMC option.

I now have the system I wanted. Now that the basics are working here is a wish list:
  • @Thomas, maybe you could add a menu item to the setup interface to add a new slave for a new output device. I also suggest a test that sends some .wav file to test the device is working and is the correct device.
  • As best I can tell some add-on apps are only for owners of Logitech hardware like Squeezeboxes. I tried to get Pandora and Spotify to work: no love. If they don't work for a software-only setup then they should not appear in the Apps menu unless you are connected to a compatible device. BTW, Slacker _does_ work: adios Pandora!
  • @Thomas, your video tutorial and setup program overlook correctly connecting to mysqueezebox.com. As best I can tell, in order to use those add-on Apps that login to a service like Slacker you must have a unique MAC address: not 00:00:00:00:00:01. Once you have a unique MAC address you can register your squeezeslave player at mysqueezebox.com.
  • This is a hardware thing: my sweet little Raspberry Pi is now an octopus. In order to plug in the USB sound dongle I had to put the wifi stick on a USB extension cord: yuck! I'm looking for a more compact solution: wifi or sound card as a shield/piggy-back card or maybe just a USB jack spreader-outer thingy.

Thanks, Thomas, and everyone else who put in the time to make squeezeplug work so well.
by mikebainbridge » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:52 am
Dear Thomas

Just a quick question. Would it be possible to put up a link to 4.08 (final) so that people, like me, who are waiting for the new version of the Spotify ARM library to cope with the floating point issue, can use Spotify with Triode's LMS server plugin ? This worked in 4.08 but not in V5 due to the Raspian hard float implementation. I've searched everywhere for a download of 4.08 but can't find it (or I am missing something very obviousl)

Thanks for all your work it's a wonderful piece of work you are doing

Mike
by truehl » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:25 am
mikebainbridge wrote:Dear Thomas

Just a quick question. Would it be possible to put up a link to 4.08 (final) so that people, like me, who are waiting for the new version of the Spotify ARM library to cope with the floating point issue, can use Spotify with Triode's LMS server plugin ? This worked in 4.08 but not in V5 due to the Raspian hard float implementation. I've searched everywhere for a download of 4.08 but can't find it (or I am missing something very obviousl)

Thanks for all your work it's a wonderful piece of work you are doing

Mike

For all interessted in the old version, please send a PM and I'll give you a download link! I'm also thinking about making a alternative Softfloat version, but I'm not sure about this!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by fortunegrey » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:22 am
I'm having a shocking time just trying to mount the image on an SD card.

I'm working on a Macbook Pro via Disk Utility and when I attempt to restore the file using the image from SqueezePlug 5, ticking the box that says Erase Destination, I get the following error message:

"Could not validate source - corrupt image"

If I don't tick the Erase Destination box, I get this:

"Could not validate source - Invalid argument"

Does this make sense?
by castalla » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:31 pm
Probably only to another Mac user!
by drgeoff » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:20 pm
fortunegrey wrote:I'm having a shocking time just trying to mount the image on an SD card.

I'm working on a Macbook Pro via Disk Utility and when I attempt to restore the file using the image from SqueezePlug 5, ticking the box that says Erase Destination, I get the following error message:

"Could not validate source - corrupt image"

If I don't tick the Erase Destination box, I get this:

"Could not validate source - Invalid argument"

Does this make sense?

Not clear to me which of these you are trying to do.

1. Write an SD card with the SqueezePlug v5 image you have downloaded from truehl's site.

2. Restore to an SD card a backup you have made from a working SqueezePlug v5 RPi using one of the options available via the setup command.

3. Something else.
by mikebainbridge » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:04 pm
Hi fortunegrey - the way to get the image onto the SD card on a Mac is a little daunting if you have never done it before but easy when you know how. I do it in 3 stages which work fine for me:

1. Prepare the image
Open the zip file that you have downloaded and save the contents somewhere temporary. So the file sp_rpi_500.zip file gives you sp_rpi_500.img. The method you need to use in step 3 doesn't like the file in this format so you need to convert it. You will need to do this at a terminal command line.. Terminal is in Appplications / Utilities. You are going to convert the .img to Universal Disk Read/ Write format with a command line like:

hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o [path to your file]/sp_rpi_500.img .[path to where you want the output]sp_rpi_500.iso

The easiest way is to do the conversion in the download directory - cd downloads to get there from the default entry point in terminal and this would make your command line:

hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ./sp_rpi_500.img ./sp_rpi_500.iso

The utility will add a .dmg suffix so you end up with sp_rpi_300.iso.dmg - It doesn't take long to run

2. Prepare the card
There are some very good instructions here
http://evan.borgstrom.ca/post/131420595 ... b-from-iso under the 'prepare the key' heading

Be VERY careful that you are working on the SD card and not your local hard disk !
Basically you are making a new blank partition - it's not strictly necessary as the next stage actually enforces a new structure on the SD card but it's nice to be sure the card is in a predictable state. Finally a warning - if there is anything on the card at the beginning of the process it will not be there at the end so copy it off or lose it.

3. Put image on the card

For this you will need to use Terminal again and use the dd command having found out what the Mac calls the SD card. To find this out you need to type at the terminal prompt:

diskutil list

This will give you an output like

Michaels-MacBook-Pro:downloads mikebainbridge$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.3 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 318.0 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
4: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 181.4 GB disk0s4
/dev/disk2
0: GUID_partition_scheme *291.0 GB disk2
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS Time Machine Backups 290.6 GB disk2s2
/dev/disk3
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *4.0 GB disk3
1: DOS_FAT_32 NO NAME 78.6 MB disk3s1
2: Linux 1.8 GB disk3s3

So in my case the 4.0 Gb SD card is /dev/disk3

The final bit is to put the image on the card with dd from terminal

Assuming you are still in the directory where you did the conversion the command is:

dd if=./sp_rpi_300.iso.dmg of=/dev/rdisk3

You may need to prefix this command with sudo and give your password when asked depending upon your mac's setup.

Note you will have to substitute your disk number at the end as 3 might be something else on your machine and you probably don't want to over write it ! Note the 'r' in front of the disk. This is the 'raw' device and allegedly runs the dd process quicker than straight to the device /dev/diskn

The dd process takes about 3 hours on my machine (8Gb MBP Retina) and there is no overt sign that anything is happening until it completes with a report about thousands of files in and out.. If you are curious you can use the kill command to check on progress but again only if you are careful - killing the wrong thing at the wrong time can cause 'unusual' behaviour. You will need to find the PID of the dd command using ps -efl and then issue kill -INFO [PID] from another terminal window. The dd process in the other window will pause and give you a report before resuming. If you are unsure about this last bit then just sit on your hands and wait until it finishes. Kill without the -INFO will stop the process and you will have to start all over again.

HTH

Mike
by jeremyroebuck » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:15 am
Hi fortunegrey - if you in the UK & still having problems let me know and I'll burn it for you & post
Jeremy
by fortunegrey » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:56 am
cheers Jeremy - worked out the image, just had to get on a PC to do it. now working through the squeezeplug install...
by Ottie » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:59 am
@Thomas: maybe it is possible to use the mac address of eth0 instead of the dummy mac address, see my example code. I use this option and it works ok.

SSMAC=`ifconfig eth0 | egrep -o '([[:xdigit:]]{2}[:]){5}[[:xdigit:]]{2}'`

And if the squeezeslave is installed without the LMS maybe it is possible to let the squeezeslave find a LMS.

SBSHOST="-F"
by forsakenrider » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:22 am
Anyone able to get the RT5370 wifi working? it seems that people with raspbian are able to do it so what is squeezeplug missing? for me it seems like the drivers not loading. using "setup" and then configuring wlan it finds a ralink driver and installs it but it doesnt seem to load. I dont see anything in lsmod that looks to go with the ralink.

I also tried:
wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-ralink_0.36_all.deb
dpkg -i firmware-ralink_0.36_all.deb

with no luck

ideas?
by yorkshiregrump » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:22 pm
forsakenrider wrote:Anyone able to get the RT5370 wifi working? it seems that people with raspbian are able to do it so what is squeezeplug missing? for me it seems like the drivers not loading. using "setup" and then configuring wlan it finds a ralink driver and installs it but it doesnt seem to load. I dont see anything in lsmod that looks to go with the ralink.

I also tried:
wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-ralink_0.36_all.deb
dpkg -i firmware-ralink_0.36_all.deb

with no luck

ideas?

Im having the same issue with an RT5370 based wifi too.
I also downloaded and installed the ralink firmware, but when doing ifup wlan0 I get this error

Cannot find device "wlan0"
Bind socket to interface: No such device
Failed to bring up wlan0.

If I type lsusb it is listed
not listed under iwconfig

seriously tearing my hair out with this :evil:
by forsakenrider » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:27 pm
Yup. Ive given up with squeezeplug because of this...
by yorkshiregrump » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:32 pm
forsakenrider wrote:Yup. Ive given up with squeezeplug because of this...

Im heading the same way. not quite ready to give up just yet though