SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

450 posts   Page 5 of 18   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18
by drmarkb » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:45 am
No apologies needed... the part will come in useful for other things if i decide not to use it with the pi.
by allactionrob » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:12 am
drmarkb wrote:Power spikes seem the obvious thing as I'm typing, as analogue outputs would be more sensitive to sudden changes.... Hmm

My next question if this is the case would be either, is anyone running the pi (or able to) behind a ups which would help negate any power issues (assuming they're caused by the mains and not the left over phone chargers we are using!) or what's the cheapest way to convert the hdmi audio to analogue?

Mark

@drmarkb, in my experience (as an electronic engineer) any electrical noise* appearing at the 3.5mm jack will almost certainly have been generated on the Pi board itself, and possibly also in the supply (e.g. phone charger) if it's really cheap/nasty but almost certainly not on the mains supply. Modifying the Pi board might yield some improvements (e.g. adding more decoupling caps around the sound chip, preferably surface mount types, placed as close as possible to it). I wouldn't waste too much time on it, it could easily be ground currents or other EMC effects which are much harder to eliminate.

The HDMI audio will sound much better since the audio is digital right up to the point where your TV or whatever converts it to analogue - and so the Pi's analogue circuitry is irrelevant. Likewise using an external USB sound card (run from a good quality DC supply).

Rob.

*...i.e. I don't mean artefacts generated by the MP3 codec which sound like noise, I mean analogue electrical noise.
by startreksteve » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:20 pm
This is beautiful! Im playing with a VirtualBox installation now, I've been running a Vortexbox system in our workshop for a couple of years, it just became redundant!

Steve
by truehl » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:46 pm
startreksteve wrote:This is beautiful! Im playing with a VirtualBox installation now, I've been running a Vortexbox system in our workshop for a couple of years, it just became redundant!

Steve

Hi Steve,
I'm not sure what you like to tell me! Do you play with SqueezePlug VM right now? Did you order an RPi? Do you plan to replace Vortexbox? Maybe it's my fault, but I don't really understand what you mean!

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by dontod » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:37 am
truehl wrote: Right now I'm doing a test with Shairport and kernel 3.1.9+ #138. Shairport now works stable for 30 minutes and is still running! kernel 3.1.9+ #138 was the kernel I've tested yesterday with SqueezeSlave.

---snipped---

P.S.: Shairport is still running !!!

Hi can you tell us how you got Shairport to run stable for so long. I'm getting a disconnect after about 7 minutes.

Thanks,

Don.
by jonnice » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:44 pm
Hi,

Firstly, many thanks for this port; I'm able to stream media using the SMB share function across multiple computers at very high speed, so thanks!

Apologies if this has been asked before, but is it possible to add more than one USB drive to the library in the setup? I'm only able to select one in the Library Configuration menu.
by truehl » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:11 pm
jonnice wrote:... is it possible to add more than one USB drive to the library in the setup? I'm only able to select one in the Library Configuration menu.

Yes, it is. To do that do this:
1. decide where to mount the new drive (eg. drive2)
2. type: mkdir /drive2
3. disconnect the already mounted USB-drive
4. reboot the RPi without any drive
5. connect the new drive
6. run setup/library
7. connect the second drive and reboot.
8. type nano /etc/fstab
9. goto the last line
10. replace /music with /drive2
11. save the file
12. leave nano
13. type mount -a
14. check the /drive2 directory

Hope that helps. Of course you can do it much more easy with a little Linux know how, but that should work!

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
by jonnice » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:15 pm
Thanks - that's perfect! What incredible response time too :D
by aoijen » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:43 am
Hi Thomas,

I'm truly impressed with the great work you've done. It's as much plug & play as you could get it at this sort of thing. Thanks for that.

My intention was to use the Pi as headless squeezeplayer only, control via Android phone and with a USB sound card (Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro). It sort of works, but not yet quite flawless. There is potential, and I would think I'm just missing something now. The problem is two-fold: (1) playback stutters (like white noise) when the CPU has load, and (2) overall it seems a bit unstable, meaning that squeezeslave works for a while, but then no longer responds.

Setup:
1. the USB sound card is plugged in the Pi directly and well recognized; music is playing.
2. No other USB connections.
3. I use a 1A adapter to power the Pi.
4. 100 Mb wired network connection.
5. Installed only squeezeslave, so not the server.

My question: might the stuttering/instability be solved when the sound card does not draw power on the Pi? Or have you any other suggestions c.q. is this issue known? On the forum I found somebody mailing that 720p playback over HDMI had a similar issue. This is the main reason I'm doubt whether the USB power would be the cause.

Thanks for your reply.

Arjan
by truehl » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:34 pm
aoijen wrote:... My intention was to use the Pi as headless squeezeplayer only, control via Android phone and with a USB sound card (Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro). It sort of works, but not yet quite flawless. There is potential, and I would think I'm just missing something now. The problem is two-fold: (1) playback stutters (like white noise) when the CPU has load, and (2) overall it seems a bit unstable, meaning that squeezeslave works for a while, but then no longer responds.

That should work, but I have no experiences with that soundcard. Did you try with the internal soundcard? What is you firmware version? What does this give you:
1. uname -a
2. /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
truehl
by aoijen » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:58 pm
truehl wrote:
aoijen wrote:... My intention was to use the Pi as headless squeezeplayer only, control via Android phone and with a USB sound card (Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro). It sort of works, but not yet quite flawless. There is potential, and I would think I'm just missing something now. The problem is two-fold: (1) playback stutters (like white noise) when the CPU has load, and (2) overall it seems a bit unstable, meaning that squeezeslave works for a while, but then no longer responds.

That should work, but I have no experiences with that soundcard. Did you try with the internal soundcard? What is you firmware version? What does this give you:
1. uname -a
2. /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version

Thanks Thomas for your quick reply.

Ad 1. I'm running the 3.1.9+ #66 (May 17) build.
Ad 2. May 17, version 315439 (release).
I take from the forum, that's not the newest. I've however not been successful at updating the firmware. Even after updating certificates, rpi-update seems to do nothing. I will pursue on this first, so as to eliminate firmware issues. I'll update on my progress, need to have my linux skills resurface from long past.

I forgot to mention:
- Sound over HDMI does not give this problem (but it useless to me since my only HDMI receiver is a TV with crap sound).
- I haven't been able to use on-board sound. And since I figured from other posts that even if it works, quality would be sub par, have not pursued. Is that supposed to work out-of-the-box (i.e. after installing your package)?
- Using 4 GB card, class 4 Sandisk
- only FLAC
by truehl » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:30 pm
aoijen wrote:Thanks Thomas for your quick reply.

I take from the forum, that's not the newest. I've however not been successful at updating the firmware. Even after updating certificates, rpi-update seems to do nothing. I will pursue on this first, so as to eliminate firmware issues. I'll update on my progress, need to have my linux skills resurface from long past.

rpi-update is already installed on SqueezePlug. You have only to type: "rpi-update". That's all. Then reboot the Pi with: "shutdown -r now" and make an update of debian with "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade"
truehl
by aoijen » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:54 pm
truehl wrote:
aoijen wrote:Thanks Thomas for your quick reply.

rpi-update is already installed on SqueezePlug. You have only to type: "rpi-update". That's all. Then reboot the Pi with: "shutdown -r now" and make an update of debian with "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade"

Hi Thomas,

Thanks. I got the update working (after complete re-install). Now running Squeezeplug 3.1.9+ #158 and firmware version 323014 (release). My result:

- sound over HDMI unchanged. I can't assess quality (over TV), but no scratches or pauses.
- sound over onboard DAC (3.5mm jack) sounds promising, but sometimes flawed (scratches and occasional pause). I take it this is firmware related and will improve.
- sound over USB Sound Blaster has more apparent problems: it sounds potentially better that 3,5mm (though soft), but there is a predictable humm or buzz (metallic sound, scratching). This seems to get worse the longer you play. Should this help, I could record it and mail it.

I've tried the florca's addition (http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=111983#p111983, but to no avail.

In short: I'm out of ideas. Chose the Sound Blaster X-Fi Go!Pro to get a little better DAC performance. It seems to produce better sound quality, if not from time to time disturbingly distorted.

The good news: yes, I managed to update (I somehow mutilated the rpi-update implementation before), I'd say the sound is already 70 % there on both onboard 3.5mm and USB sound card. In short, I am so deeply impressed with this RPi implementation.
by startreksteve » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:14 pm
truehl wrote:
startreksteve wrote:This is beautiful! Im playing with a VirtualBox installation now, I've been running a Vortexbox system in our workshop for a couple of years, it just became redundant!

Steve

Hi Steve,
I'm not sure what you like to tell me! Do you play with SqueezePlug VM right now? Did you order an RPi? Do you plan to replace Vortexbox? Maybe it's my fault, but I don't really understand what you mean!

Greetings,
Thomas

Yes,
as soon as my Pi arrives, Im going to install squeezeplug and replace my AMD 1.6 as the workshop Jukebox.
by tjntjn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:07 pm
I am still not able to fit the img onto a 4GB SD card.
I am using 408b1.

Does anybody know when this will be corrected?
by tjntjn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:10 pm
Hi

I am not able to fit 408b1 onto a 4 GB SD card.
Does anybody know when this will be fixed?
by aoijen » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:11 pm
tjntjn wrote:Hi

My suggestion would be to try another sd card. It works flawlessly with my Sandisk Ultra card, 4 GB. In short: it fits on a 4 GB card, just not yours.
Good luck!
by truehl » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:53 pm
aoijen wrote:

My suggestion would be to try another sd card. It works flawlessly with my Sandisk Ultra card, 4 GB. In short: it fits on a 4 GB card, just not yours.
Good luck!

Did you also try the USB Image tool with this settings?
Attachments
Image.JPG
Image.JPG (52.92 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
truehl
by truehl » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:59 am
Just an other feedback,
I got LMS running on allthingpi's Raspbian image. First it seems to run, I can't see any performance improvement to the "official" Debian distribution. The web interface of LMS seems to work faster, scanning the Library was the same speed. After 2 hours, scanning stopped an the complete RPi freezes. Then I switchted to Hexxeh image of Raspbian. Got LMS installed here, but after the installation RPi also was also freezed.

So for this time I got lost with Raspbian, and switched back to Debian Squeeze, the official distro for RPi.

I'll keep an eye on Raspian, because it looks promising. Stability seems to be a problem now, my SqueezePlug installation with LMS and Squeezeslave works without issues for over 3 Weeks now.

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl
by flippi » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:35 pm
truehl wrote:Hi folks,

GREAT NEWS!

I'm very happy to tell you that SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi (Beta) is ready for download.

SqueezePlug Media-Server version 4.08b1 for Raspberry Pi is based on the existing and very famous versions of SqueezePlug for other ARM based devices like SheevaPlug, Dockstar and GoFlex Net.

I did some hard work to get it running on such a tiny device, but now it's working great and with a good performance. I ran it for 2 days now stable and have no issues.

SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi offers the same set of features like the versions for all other devices. So SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi has a lot of very cool features:

SqueezePlug is a platform for different Media-Servers:
- Logitech Media Server (f.k.a. Slimserver, SqueezeBox Server)
- MiniDLNA
- Mediatomb
- Twonky
- TVMobili

All these servers are ready to install by a click.

Included features are:
- Support for wireless USB-Sticks
- SqueezeSlave (Media Player running on RPi with no additional HW) Server and player on the same device
- Option to install a SqueezeSlave "Stand Alone Player"
- Scripts for all SqueezePlug configurations
- Samba Server already included

The installation is based on the Debian distribution (debian6-19-04-2012.img). The kernel and all packages are up to date. There is no X-Server or other graphic things installed. They are completely removed. The intention of SqueezePlug is to run a headless Media-Server. So SSH is installed and activated. All you have to do is this:

1. Download, unzip and burn the sd-card
2. Start the Pi and find out the IP-Address (e.g. from an attached monitor or from your router).
3. login with user: root and pw: nosoup4u
4. Choose Raspberry Pi from the initial screen.
5. Reboot the RPi by typing: shutdown -r now
6. Connect again and type: setup
7. Choose the options you need and the scripts will do the rest for you.

Please visit my blog to download the new image: http:/squeezeplug.de
Look for sp_rpi_408b1.zip

I'll update my Wiki later to regarding Raspberry Pi.

Have fun,
Greetings,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Excellent - This should be just what I'm looking for. Just got my Raspberry pi yesterday, so I've not tried out anything other than the Debian squeeze yet. Do you know if I'll be able to run 'Brute FIR' with squeezeplug?

Thanks
by Galaxynik » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:28 pm
Hi Thomas
Just like to say BIG thank - you for this - had quite an exttensive play with this and planning to run this with a 2Tb usb drive 24/7 - testing shows that as a NAS its using about 10watts (rpi+drive) when accessing the disk which is what I am looking for.

I'm a complete Linux noob so this was just the ticket... started learning the command line and it just takes me back to the days of the dos cli HeHe I even typed dir instead of ls and b*gg*r me it worked LOL. One thing had me stumped though your instruction to restart the Rpi from the ssh session (using shutdown -r now) kept giving me the command usage screen I didnt realise for hours that the 'now' was part of the command not part of the instructions for me LOL

Initially had a play with Mediatomb and minidlna - I cant get mediatomb to show up as a upnp server to either the xboxes here or bubbleupnp on my phone which is a shame cos I like being able to manually add media to the database. minidlna works fine though. Once I decided to go for minidlna I re-imaged the card (I'd played around with it quite a bit) and tried to install just minidlna - couldn't get it to run at all so I installed and uninstalled mediatomb and lo and behold minidlna runs again ????. any thoughts ?? I've tried searching around to see if I could get mediatomb up and running but nothing so far has worked.

The samba server works fine although I think I am going to need to have a better strategy than just sharing the whole 2Tb drive cos I have visions of my 6 year od managing to delete files off root OMG - will need to investigate further.

Thanks again for this - loving learning about linux with a purpose. PS why doesnt minidlna show up in your running servers command/script/option ??
by truehl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:21 pm

The final image will have a smaller size and an automatic expand mechanism. For so long you have to live with this size.
truehl
by truehl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:26 pm
flippi wrote:Excellent - This should be just what I'm looking for. Just got my Raspberry pi yesterday, so I've not tried out anything other than the Debian squeeze yet. Do you know if I'll be able to run 'Brute FIR' with squeezeplug?

Sorry, I have no idea!
truehl
by truehl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:31 pm
Galaxynik wrote:Thanks again for this - loving learning about linux with a purpose. PS why doesnt minidlna show up in your running servers command/script/option ??

This command only shows installed apt packages and minidlna is not. You can do this by typing: top |grep minidlna
truehl
by Galaxynik » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:39 am
truehl wrote:
Galaxynik wrote:Thanks again for this - loving learning about linux with a purpose. PS why doesnt minidlna show up in your running servers command/script/option ??

This command only shows installed apt packages and minidlna is not. You can do this by typing: top |grep minidlna

umm sudo returns - cannot resolve hostname - had a look in hosts and hostname was listed as raspberrypi - so changed it to squeezeplugrpi and sudo doesnt return an error but sudo top | grep minidlna doesnt return anything -
how do I get minidlna to rescan media - tried minidlna -R but it just returns to prompt and a line is added to /var/cache/minidlna/minidlna.log saying
"[2012/07/17 09:36:44] minidlna.c:809: error: MiniDLNA is already running. EXITI$"