Ruby 1.9.1 on Debian

7 posts
by KazW » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:07 am
Has anyone tried using the Ruby 1.9.1 packages on Debian? I can get the IRB working, but that's about it, I can't install any gems. If anyone has any tips, please let me know, the ~2 hours it took to compile Ruby 1.9.3-p194 through rbenv was quite annoying.

P.S. I'm not sure if using "gem1.9.1 install X" is the correct way of installing things on Debian, but that's what I'm referring to.
by plugwash » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:51 pm
what version of debian are you using? wheezy has 1.9.1 packaged.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by KazW » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:44 am
I haven't tried wheezy yet, this was on squeeze. I'll give it a shot on wheezy.
by hughD » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:37 pm
I have used this link http://elinux.org/RPi_Ruby_on_Rails to install Ruby successfully on Squeeze and Wheezy. You also get RVM but it does take a bit of time to compile the latest version of Ruby.
by KazW » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:05 am
hughD wrote:I have used this link http://elinux.org/RPi_Ruby_on_Rails to install Ruby successfully on Squeeze and Wheezy. You also get RVM but it does take a bit of time to compile the latest version of Ruby.

I'd rather not use RVM, rbenv is far superior IMHO, and I've used it in a few production sites. Also, I'd like to try and get therubyracer working, doing a "make install" with node.js is just too messy, that's why we have package managers like apt-get and gem. :)
by andyl » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:23 am
KazW wrote:
hughD wrote:I have used this link http://elinux.org/RPi_Ruby_on_Rails to install Ruby successfully on Squeeze and Wheezy. You also get RVM but it does take a bit of time to compile the latest version of Ruby.

I'd rather not use RVM, rbenv is far superior IMHO, and I've used it in a few production sites. Also, I'd like to try and get therubyracer working, doing a "make install" with node.js is just too messy, that's why we have package managers like apt-get and gem. :)

Well there is a long standing tension between the Debian way of doing things and the ruby way - which for most devs seems to be trying to keep everything as current as possible.

Many people feel that the Debian repository is not well suited for ruby modules - or for that matter python, perl and nodejs modules. At least for a dev environment. If you are just using pre-canned programs from the Debian repository which use the versions of modules which are in the repository then it works quite well.
by KazW » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:36 pm
andyl wrote:
KazW wrote:

Well there is a long standing tension between the Debian way of doing things and the ruby way - which for most devs seems to be trying to keep everything as current as possible.

Many people feel that the Debian repository is not well suited for ruby modules - or for that matter python, perl and nodejs modules. At least for a dev environment. If you are just using pre-canned programs from the Debian repository which use the versions of modules which are in the repository then it works quite well.

Agreed, that's exactly why I'm looking into doing a (basic & current) package for node.js. There seem to be a lot of patches for the Debian package of node.js in Sid, but I haven't gotten time to dig into them yet to see what they're for. Every tutorial I've seen for compiling node.js on Debian doesn't use any patches though, seems kind of odd.

Time to do some research. :ugeek: