Scope for flash player or adobe air?

15 posts
by aidanmack » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:06 am
Hi,

So this is a little bit of an issue for me and my rasberry pi...

None of the browsers for Debian “squeeze” support HTML5, and there is currently no Flash support, so unfortunately you cannot watch YouTube videos; we’re investigating HTML5 solutions.

All the languages I know are not supported. javascript, as3, lua, markups ect..

Lua would be nice? any ideas on that one?

Im a flash/air dev by trade. Can I not do anything like that on the pi yet?

... So I need to make a stab at something like python then?

Thanks
Aidan
by andyl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:15 pm
aidanmack wrote:Hi,

So this is a little bit of an issue for me and my rasberry pi...

None of the browsers for Debian “squeeze” support HTML5, and there is currently no Flash support, so unfortunately you cannot watch YouTube videos; we’re investigating HTML5 solutions.

All the languages I know are not supported. javascript, as3, lua, markups ect..

Lua would be nice? any ideas on that one?

Im a flash/air dev by trade. Can I not do anything like that on the pi yet?

... So I need to make a stab at something like python then?

Some things in the post above are incorrect.

Chromium supports html5. OK the version in squeeze isn't anywhere near the latest, but the one in wheezy is.

Linux has good support for lua and javascript.

Flash/Air isn't supported because Adobe isn't very good at supporting linux on x86 let alone strange architectures like arm.

If what you want to do is fancy web applications I would be looking at using html5/css/javascript with a decent framework on the front end. For the backend you can use javascript / nodejs (although nodejs isn't in the apt repository and would need to be built) or a python based backend.
by aidanmack » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:21 pm
Thanks for the reply,
Linux has good support for java script? But in order to use java script I would need Chromium running in wheezy?

Or do you think something like the Titanium frame work might run on squeeze?
http://www.appcelerator.com/platform

Lua might be worth a look. Ive done alot with that in the coronasdk ... I wonder if theirs an sdk that will allow you to run standalone lua programs that would work on pi.. hmmm

Gutted about air... stupid adobe! doh.
by andyl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:39 pm
aidanmack wrote:Thanks for the reply,
Linux has good support for java script? But in order to use java script I would need Chromium running in wheezy?

Or do you think something like the Titanium frame work might run on squeeze?
http://www.appcelerator.com/platform

No Chromium is just a browser. The guts of Chromium is the v8 js engine which can be installed as a library.
Generally javascript development is done using nodejs (which has v8 built in to it) these days, although you can still install spidermonkey as a command line javascript interpreter (this is Mozilla's engine).

Without knowing what you want to do it is hard to recommend something that will fit your needs. Node was originally designed to do server-side stuff but some people have tweaked it into doing desktop apps - and there is a library called appJS which is supposed to make it easier.

I haven't looked at the Titanium framework so cannot comment on it.

Lua might be worth a look. Ive done alot with that in the coronasdk ... I wonder if theirs an sdk that will allow you to run standalone lua programs that would work on pi..

Yep - Lua5.1 is available. Just install it using apt-get as root. There are also quite a lot of libraries available including some to do GUI apps.
by aidanmack » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:52 pm
Thanks,
Ok so I am thinking along the lines of some sort of nice looking user interface.

Maybe an interactive photo gallery as a first project. users can see an array of photos stored on a sd card. press tabs of them to enlarge... something like that.

So for that would you recommend html5/javascript?

Would build that using an editor on a laptop and deploy to pi for it to run in Chromium?

Thanks
Aidan
by aaa801 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:59 pm
You can get flash working with gnash, its a bit slow but it works
by aidanmack » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:12 pm
Thanks aaa801,

Just had a look, only looks to support bits of flash player 9 features.
.. Could do with the full fat!

Flash would be great. But on a personal note I should really be looking at increasing my skill set a bit!... learn some python ... expand my javascript knowledge.
by bredman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:23 pm
aidanmack wrote:Maybe an interactive photo gallery as a first project. users can see an array of photos stored on a sd card. press tabs of them to enlarge... something like that.

This is a strange thing to do in a browser. Wouldn't it be better to build a standalone application?

I understand you may want to learn some web technologies, so this may be a valid reason, but you have picked a very difficult project to run from a browser. Also, the performance from within a browser will be terrible, so this is only useful as a learning exercise.
by andyl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:03 pm
bredman wrote:
aidanmack wrote:Maybe an interactive photo gallery as a first project. users can see an array of photos stored on a sd card. press tabs of them to enlarge... something like that.

This is a strange thing to do in a browser. Wouldn't it be better to build a standalone application?

I understand you may want to learn some web technologies, so this may be a valid reason, but you have picked a very difficult project to run from a browser. Also, the performance from within a browser will be terrible, so this is only useful as a learning exercise.

Oh it wouldn't have to be in a browser. Well not with the browser framework around it anyway. It would behave like it was a native app.

It certainly would be possible to write a standalone program that used javascript and a html5 canvas (using node). I wouldn't know how well it would perform on a pi, and I would probably choose a different language for that task.
by davecates » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:54 pm
Hi all,

I'd also like to make some corrections.

Flash in the browser would suck on a small device like this with minimal resources.

But, Adobe Air would rock!

Adobe isn't rubbish at supporting devices esp Arm chipsets - look at their support for Android and older iOS devices - aren't they mainly using Arm chipsets??

The issue is that Adobe go where the bulk of the ROI is going to be and unfortunately that isn't with Linux or this old version of the Arm architecture.

I'll ask Adobe if they'll be willing to support it but, looking at the take up figures, I doubt it.

Sad because an Air app would be native (therefore far quicker than any HTML5 rubbish app), bring in a lot more developers and therefore make the whole platform a whole lot more appealing to a much larger audience.
by Heater » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:17 pm
Adobe has already announced that it is not supporting FLASh and action script for mobile devices anymore. It's a dead end, typical of closed proprietary solutions.

Yo can use JS in your browser with Chrome, or build command line aps and servers with it under node.js. I have node running just fine on Raspian.

The Qt graphical tool kit, as used to build the K Desk Top for Linux and many commercial apps also supports creating graphical user interfaces with JS.

Lua works just fine on Raspian.
by wrench7 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:46 pm
Heater wrote:Adobe has already announced that it is not supporting FLASh and action script for mobile devices anymore. It's a dead end, typical of closed proprietary solutions.

To put the facts straight, Adobe is no longer supporting Flash in the browser on mobile platforms.

Instead it's putting it's resources into allowing Flash Developers to create native apps via wrapping things in AIR. Actionscript is alive and well, and coupled with the power of Stage3D, Flash ain't going anywhere :-)
by ghans » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:32 pm
True , certainly not towards the Pi. :twisted:

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by MarkCaz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:27 pm
Hello, I realise this is going to be a stupid question (am completely new to RP), but I saw an Arm6 version of flash was available http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1504968 (and air 2.7 supposedly also works).
I realise this is an android APK but is there any chance it might ever work on the RP or am I seriously barking up the wrong tree here :) ?
by aaa801 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:45 pm
MarkCaz wrote:Hello, I realise this is going to be a stupid question (am completely new to RP), but I saw an Arm6 version of flash was available http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1504968 (and air 2.7 supposedly also works).
I realise this is an android APK but is there any chance it might ever work on the RP or am I seriously barking up the wrong tree here :) ?

Wont work, compiled against a completly different glibc tree
however they work lovely on razdroid