Remember Monkey Island?

10 posts
by AshleyC » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:29 pm
Have played all of them but 1&2 are my favourites, classic point and click 2d adventure games.

It got me thinking of remaking part 3 in the same style as 1&2 changing the story completely, still following on from parts 1&2

Anyone up for this?, be a great project for everyone on here to be involved and coded purely with python to run on the rasp :)
by Joefish » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:39 pm
See here:

http://www.scummvm.org/

If you can get the SCUMM Virtual Machine running you can play any of those games that were developed under it.
by AshleyC » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 pm
Yeah used have the SCUMM engine running on a old PDA once and was great playing it with the stylus but i never did really like the following episodes of monkey island after part two, and thought it would be fun to re-write the story for part 3 and draw all characters/backdrops and start from scratch but keeping it in the style of parts 1 & 2 :)
by jamesh » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:42 pm
Hasn't Monkey Island been re-released with all new graphics?
by AshleyC » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:55 pm
Yes parts 1&2 have had a makeover, downloaded them from xbox live, nice job too but its the parts after that loose the originality of the first two games, although it was nice playing them with speech and full colour in HD :)
by precious_pony » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:26 pm
Hate to be a party pooper, but ... this type of game is simply too large for a hobby project (dozens of backgrounds, music, programming, sprites, story).

The original game had a team of over a dozen people working on it for a year (full-time). Even assuming we are all as talented as the original team, it would take 10+ man years to achieve a satisfactory result.

Best to start small, create a one screen adventure game and see how it goes.
by AshleyC » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:38 pm
precious_pony wrote:Hate to be a party pooper, but ... this type of game is simply too large for a hobby project (dozens of backgrounds, music, programming, sprites, story).

The original game had a team of over a dozen people working on it for a year (full-time). Even assuming we are all as talented as the original team, it would take 10+ man years to achieve a satisfactory result.

Best to start small, create a one screen adventure game and see how it goes.

Yes i got way to carried away when i started this thread and started to wish i never posted it. I started thinking of the story and got stuck just at the beginning lol would have been a nice project though :) (well for you lot anyway, i was just going to manage the project and play test it)
by ghans » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:54 pm
Well , there has been a Zack McKracken fangame .. in 3D .
Was a free 700 MB download or so.
Perhaps you could learn from them.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by texy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:57 pm
Ok, maybe not a new episode, but how about just getting 1 & 2 working on the pi?
T.
"2.8inch TFT LCD + Touch screen" add-on boards for sale here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65566
50p goes to the Foundation ;-)
by ghans » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:17 am
ScummVM works on my second generation iTouch and on the first generation NDS.
If we had a better SDL port , it would run even more fluently.
Should be very easy to get running comsidering this awesome portability.

Well , i cannot try this because I'm still waiting for my Pi ...

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org