Python becoming popular in the Enterprise

5 posts
by winkleink » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:07 pm
Maybe now is a good time to learn Python.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/18 ... nterprise/
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink
by domesday » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:36 pm
I hear it is quite popular on Voyager and DS9 as well :lol:
by Borat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:54 pm
My home programming language is C#, but I downloaded the book Python 3 Object Oriented Programming. I have to say that python seems pretty bad in an object orientated "mode". I was disappointed. But i've only finished chapter 3.
by yeahbox » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:05 pm
Borat wrote:My home programming language is C#, but I downloaded the book Python 3 Object Oriented Programming. I have to say that python seems pretty bad in an object orientated "mode". I was disappointed. But i've only finished chapter 3.

You should probably read some more chapters in your book before you call Python a bad object oriented language, because it's certainly not. Python is an excellent object oriented language with support for classes, polymorphism and multiple inheritance for example. In fact everything in python is objects, like your strings, lists and even your integers. One common complain is that there are no real "private" variables but personally that has never been a problem for me since any name starting with an underscore _likethis is considered private by convention. That works for me. Many things comes down to style actually, and in Python there is always more than one way of doing something :)

Have a look at the standard documentation, http://docs.python.org/tutorial/classes.html for some examples.
by Borat » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:26 pm
Yeah I will continue learning python. You can use it to program the google app engine, so it can't be too bad, and it is interesting in what it can be used for. My dislike is probably due to the lack of encapsulation; the lack of private members as you mentioned and also it seems that a class's methods can access "global" variables of its .py file. I have to try ruby, I have a feeling I will like that better.