Editor / Dev Environment ?

5 posts
by domesday » Fri May 25, 2012 1:15 pm
I notice that SPE is included with the Debian image, is this going to be the preferred editor for Python tutorials ?
by MattHawkinsUK » Tue May 29, 2012 7:19 pm
I suspect that people creating tutorials will drift towards whatever editor they prefer.

I've been trying SPE simply because it was sitting there waiting to be used. For diving in and playing I can't see the point bothering with anything else. Seems to do the job!
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)
by fromagique » Wed May 30, 2012 1:09 am
I've used 'joe' for the last 10 years at least. It's a terminal-based editor (with keyboard commands similar to that of WordStar, for those of you ancient enough to remember that venerable program...) It is available as 'joe' via apt-get. It's an editor, not an "integrated development environment", but for what it is, it works quite well for my purposes. I would recommend learning 'vi' as well, though, because it's almost universally available on Unix-ish systems and therefore a very handy thing to know.
by alibongo22 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:22 am
just got my pi yesterday, and tried running SPE but found it very slow, also would prefer v3.0.
I'm pretty new to all this, so would welcome any suggestions for alternative python IDEs for me & my son to get going on?
by antiloquax » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:01 am
This is one of those topics that tends to divide opinion.
In his "Raspberry Pi tutorials" YouTube videos, Liam Fraser uses Geany. This is a nice IDE for Python (any pretty much any programming language you'd like to learn). It's easy to use and lightweight / fast.

I started learning Python by reading "A Byte of Python". Its author, Swaroop, recommends Vim, and I now use that as my editor of choice. Vim is great, but it's quite a steep learning curve at first.

mark