Best Database

30 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by John Coleman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:16 am
Postgres for me, it's my favourite FOSS database and its spatial extension via PostGIS is brilliant. I'm not a python person (yet) but I have successfully installed PostGIS on RPi / Archlinux. I even managed to run a java-gnome client app against it, although I had to import the jar file for that - RPi can't handle the eclipse IDE I developed it on. See java-gnome to the stars on my (RPi hosted) blog. Don't forget to install pgadmin3 as well.

RPi is remarkable, but we shouldn't expect too much of it. Like me, it's not good at multi-tasking, it can only do one thing at a time.
by John Coleman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 am
John Coleman wrote:See java-gnome to the stars on my (RPi hosted) blog.

Oops I lost my static IP address. My ISP withdrew RPi's static IP and I can't afford an upgrade to replace it. So I have switched to Dynamic DNS via http://dalriada.hopto.org/rpi , thanks to no-ip.com and my Draytek router.

java-gnome to the stars is now at http://dalriada.hopto.org/rpi/?p=68
by dannym » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:27 pm
gjs wrote:What would be a good database to use for:

Application to be written in python
Simple structure (one table) but large, up to several GB
Runs locally on the RPi as part of the application, not on a server

Seems the most important question was not yet asked:
Do you need to find records quickly more than writing new records quickly?
If yes, use a database like bsddb.
If no, just use a file.
No need to use relational databases if you don't need more than one table and hence no relations...
by jmrnilsson » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:39 pm
Hi

I'd go with Tims suggestion assuming you don't care about relational consistancy.

-jmr
by jmrnilsson » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:45 pm
I'v been using couchdb successfully for quite some time on rpi. Easy enough to get started and binaries in the raspian repo.

-jmr