Similar beginers Python tools for mac

5 posts
by Lawrence » Mon May 28, 2012 9:46 pm
I'm excited to start learning Python on my Pi when it arrives and I love the sound of the tools included to start learning.

I'd like a head start as it's a while before my Pi arrives so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for beginners tools for mac?

Thanks in advance.
by felix123 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:57 am
Just open a terminal on your mac and type python. :D
And here's the beginner's tutorial
http://docs.python.org/tutorial/
by hunternet93 » Tue May 29, 2012 3:02 am
I learned Python on a Mac. I used the Terminal and TextEdit in plain text mode instead of an IDE. Python's IDLE development environment works on Macs and could help you get started.
by FeersumEndjinn » Tue May 29, 2012 8:08 am
ActiveState KomodoEdit (the free version) is very good for writing and syntax highlighting but isn't the best to do test-runs of your code without a little tweaking - however if you're comfortable testing your scripts using the terminal, I would recommend doing that, especially if you are passing in variables.

I've been using it for about 6 - 7 months and have tried others as well, but keep coming back to KomodoEdit.
Morrolan / FeersumEndjinn

"And the lord God said unto John, 'Come forth and receive eternal life', but John came fifth and won a toaster."
by daviewales » Tue May 29, 2012 2:58 pm
If you want code highlighting, go to the Python website, and download the disk image installer for Mac for either Python 2.7 or 3.2, depending on which one you want to learn. If you run the installer, it should install a program called IDLE, which will give you an interactive prompt, and a text editor that colours the different python words different colours... I recommend running programs in Terminal, however, because they will run much faster... (I don't know why...)