How do I write to SD card

General programming chat and advice for beginners

12 posts
by alexham » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:31 pm
Hi,

My Raspberry is on the way. I have downloaded and used Linux on my PC, athough my main O/S is Win7. I have never seen an option to download and write to a SD Card. It was either to HD or to a CD.
I have several devices that can read SD Cards - camera, printer, TV, but how do I write to a SD Card.

Many thanks,

Alexham
by pmonro » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:49 pm
This is a brilliant write up
http://myraspberrypiexperience.blogspot ... ndows.html
I could not get it to work on XP because the bios will not recognise the sd card as a drive
by leon_heller » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:57 pm
I used win32diskimager to write the Debian image to an SD card using my laptop:

https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer
Leon Heller
G1HSM
by alexham » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:32 pm
Oh, no! I think I'll bin it without opening the parcel! Very interesting and complicated procedure, but no one really answers my question, so I'll ask again.

Where do I keep the SD card whilst all that is going on? I have no SD Card slot on my PC.

Thanks again,

Alex
by deej1976 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:16 pm
You should invest in a USB card reader/writer that supports SDHC cards, shouldn't be hard to find from a local computer shop.

Then you can use the Windows tool mentioned above ( Sorry I'm a Linux User ).

Or you might be able to purchase a pre-formatted card from RS or Farnell.
by dom » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:18 pm
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by aaa801 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:08 am
If you dont have a sd adapter, then grab your camera lob the sd card in that and usb it to the pc
should show up as a drive, then just select that in the image writer
by alexham » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:46 am
deej1976 wrote:You should invest in a USB card reader/writer that supports SDHC cards, shouldn't be hard to find from a local computer shop.

Thank you for that advice. I ordered the SDHC card from RS, so it may be pre-formatted. Normally, all Linux O/Ss that I have tried format the drives as a part of the installation procedure. Is that not possible with the SDHC card?

I occasionally use Puppy Slacko and I also have an old HD with Ubuntu 10 on it. Unfortunately, Puppy does not recognize my printer (too new), so I cannot use the word processor, otherwise I would have tried to install it onto Raspberry.

Alex
by alexham » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:47 am
aaa801 wrote:If you dont have a sd adapter, then grab your camera lob the sd card in that and usb it to the pc
should show up as a drive, then just select that in the image writer

Wow! Why did I not think about that.
Thank you very much.

Alex
by jamesh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:39 am
alexham wrote:
deej1976 wrote:You should invest in a USB card reader/writer that supports SDHC cards, shouldn't be hard to find from a local computer shop.

Thank you for that advice. I ordered the SDHC card from RS, so it may be pre-formatted. Normally, all Linux O/Ss that I have tried format the drives as a part of the installation procedure. Is that not possible with the SDHC card?

I occasionally use Puppy Slacko and I also have an old HD with Ubuntu 10 on it. Unfortunately, Puppy does not recognize my printer (too new), so I cannot use the word processor, otherwise I would have tried to install it onto Raspberry.

Alex

No, we don't use the same procedure as you might find when installing Ubuntu from a CD or similar. In effect, we provide a image of the SD card (rather like an ISO image of a CD or DVD) which you put on to the SD card, and this image provides all the formatting and partitioning, ready to use on the Raspi.

You will need some sort of SD card reader/writer though to get the image on.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
by alexham » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:52 pm
dom wrote:You can get them for £1. E.g.
http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-rang ... rd-reader/

Thank you very much for the tip dom. Just got it for a £1 as you said and it is working.
Thanks again,
Alex
by sambish20 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:13 pm
I have tried using this but my Raspberry Pi won't boot up on the SD card. :(