how do i set up so i can ftp to pi?

General programming chat and advice for beginners

13 posts
by Totalacedude » Thu May 24, 2012 10:29 pm
hi guys!

just had my pi a few days and im new to debian!

i have a ubuntu pc running a program which id like my pi to do.

i had help setting up my ubuntu and am getting no where with my pi!

I want to be able to ftp to my pi from my xp machine but dont know how to set up my pi to do this!
same as i did with my ubuntu using my ftp program

i am running lxde and in terminal im trying (as su) to install things like proftp, but on install it comes up with.
proftpd warning: cant start in standalone or inetd mode check configuration etc etc

and in /etc/ there is no inetd.conf file?

any ideas guys.... its proberbly simple to you but would really help me to get stuff over to my pi :)

i would also like it to startup every time i start my pi

thanks ian
by Joe Schmoe » Thu May 24, 2012 10:57 pm
I think the best advice is to get ssh running. Then you get scp, sftp, etc, for free.
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by error404 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:57 am
Try vsftpd instead. I think the default Debian configuration works.

Though really you shouldn't use FTP. Install SSH and use SCP or SFTP instead. You get a remote shell free!
by Robert_M » Fri May 25, 2012 8:03 am
Would it be possible to get a walk-thru on how to set up one of those non-FTP transfer options? I'm also looking for ways to move files back and forth between the R-Pi and my WinXP desktop computer.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.
by bredman » Fri May 25, 2012 9:24 am
If you just want to get files to/from an XP PC, you may find it easier to set up the Raspberry Pi as a Network Attached Storage.
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_NAS
by redneon » Fri May 25, 2012 9:41 am
Why not just use sftp? If you're using the Debian distribution it's actually incredible easy. You just rename /boot/boot_enable_ssh.rc to /boot/boot.rc and then restart your Pi and you can SSH and SFTP in to your Pi.
by AndrewS » Fri May 25, 2012 2:20 pm
When using a Windows PC, I use putty as my SSH client, and FileZilla as my SFTP client.
by Robert_M » Fri May 25, 2012 4:28 pm
AndrewS wrote:When using a Windows PC, I use putty as my SSH client, and FileZilla as my SFTP client.

I've got PuTTY running already, so this suggestion makes it sound like I'm halfway there. Thanks!
by Robert_M » Fri May 25, 2012 4:35 pm
redneon wrote:Why not just use sftp? If you're using the Debian distribution it's actually incredible easy. You just rename /boot/boot_enable_ssh.rc to /boot/boot.rc and then restart your Pi and you can SSH and SFTP in to your Pi.

Huh... It seems I already renamed the file while following someone else's walkthru/instruction, as there is no "boot_enable_ssh.rc" in that directory, but "boot.rc" *is* there. Which means that now I just have to figure out how to make it work. Coming from Windows, I'm more accustomed to "drag & drop" so it'll take a bit of time to sort out. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: It looks like some of this Linux stuff is starting to rub off: I remembered I could type in "man sftp" and I think this will tell me what I need to know.
by redneon » Fri May 25, 2012 4:48 pm
Robert_M wrote:now I just have to figure out how to make it work. Coming from Windows, I'm more accustomed to "drag & drop"

I'd use Filezilla in Windows. It's just an S/FTP client but it allows you to drag and drop etc. Just put in the IP of your Pi and use "pi" and "raspberry" for username and password (assuming you kept the defaults) and use port 22 (SSH port) and you're away.

EDIT: If you're in Linux I'd use gFTP as your client.
Last edited by redneon on Fri May 25, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by Robert_M » Fri May 25, 2012 4:51 pm
That sounds like something I could manage - thanks! :)
by Robert_M » Fri May 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Well, that was easy and painless! Thanks for the FileZilla tip! Got it up and running, easy as pi....
by Totalacedude » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:42 pm
thanks for all the info guys, sorry for delay (all work and no pi play)