Fortran editor

General programming chat and advice for beginners

4 posts
by Janion » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:36 pm
Hi, I'm new around here. My brother has ordered me a RPi for my birthday and I'm trying to do as much research into the kind of things possible with it before it arrives.

I use fortran90 at uni so i thought it would be best for me to start with this for my projects. Does anyone know of a program with which I can make fortran programs with a GUI?
I see a lot of people talking about Glade but from what I have seen they are all using python. Does glade support fortran?

Cheers
Janion

PS I wasn't sure if this was a post specificly about the coding language, sorry if it should have gone in "Other languages"
by rpural » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:45 pm
As far as editing, choose your favorite editor; any should work.

To get the compiler, at a command prompt, type the command:

sudo apt-get install gfortran

This will install the FORTRAN-95 compiler. Your other choice would be FORTRAN-77, but 95 will be closer to your FORTRAN-90, I think.
--
Bob Nix
nix@earthling.net
by Janion » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:42 pm
rpural wrote:To get the compiler, at a command prompt, type the command:

sudo apt-get install gfortran

This will install the FORTRAN-95 compiler..

Is this assuming I'm connected to the internet? Because I think I am getting the model A
by KCarscadden » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:41 am
If he has already ordered it, you are getting a model B, since that is the only model available so far.

If he is just contemplating ordering it later, you may get a model A.

However, the instruction given above doesn't matter which model you get, it just assumes that you have internet access. The model B has a built-in ethernet port (which actually comes off the USB port) which makes it relatively easy to connect to the internet. The model A doesn't have the built-in ethernet port, but it will still be possible to connect to the internet, using the USB port, it just means adding a USB hub or juggling ports, then adding a USB to ethernet converter or using a USB wireless device.