Using short stories to teach programming

General programming chat and advice for beginners

2 posts
by edent » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:40 pm
I've started writing short stories to help teach kids Python programming.
The first one is at http://shkspr.mobi/blog/2012/11/the-pyt ... a-problem/

I'd love to know what people think, and if they'd be interested in writing more.

Enjoy!

T
by jagoda » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:58 pm
I think what you are doing is very useful ...
There is a limit, I think , as to how far this approach can be pushed, but, for
many youngsters it may be just what is needed to inspire them ...
I was discussing something similar with a recently retired primary school teacher ( who has had enough of meddling bureaucrats .. both the "fake labour" and the "fake caring Tory" kind ) .. and is embarking on a career writing children's books.
Her advice for ideas for stories was ... "go and talk to some teenagers ... " ...
My guess is that the hardest part is "weaving the teaching materials into the story ... "
I suspect (and I have done some tutoring youngsters who are thinking of making a fortune writing e.g. iPhone apps or computer games ... but who are not prepared to put in the necessary effort ) that many simply want to "get rich quick" ... but don't realise how difficult it can be to write good software ... even if they do have "very sharp elbowed upper middle class parents".
Sadly there are many business types who are more interested in "making lots of money" rather than doing something "socially valuable".
Anyhow, getting of my soap box ... before I start having a go at bankers and their ilk ...
Short stories seem to have a lot in common with use case analysis and scenarios ...
There must be subtle strategies for weaving "requirements" into a story ... and then developing the theme further to cover "analysis and design" ...
Maybe something of a Dan Brown approach might be interesting ... but that would involve an awful lot of research ...
I have visited your web site ...
I like what I saw ... and I can see the potential in developing your theme further
Good luck.