Compiling Plex

General programming chat and advice for beginners

5 posts
by chickey » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:39 pm
Hi Guys,
It's been many years since i did any coding and that was only at uni so not to a really high level if i'm honest with myself.

I'm a big plex user at home so thought i'd have a stab at compiling plex on the Pi with the intention of getting it working but also as a bit of a learning exercise.

I've downloaded it from git and begun the compilation but i'm getting stuck with it not being able to find certain files, on looking those files exist but it's not picking them up for some reason, the #include statements are pointing to the right paths presuming it's using the xbmc directory as the root. The typer of error is

pi@raspberrypi ~/code/plex-linux-old/xbmc/cores/playercorefactory $ make
/usr/bin/ccache arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++ -MD -c -fPIC -DPIC -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DNDEBUG=1 -O2 -mfloat-abi=hard -mno-apcs-stack-check -Wa,-march=armv7a -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mvectorize-with-neon-quad -D_LINUX -D_FILE_DEFINED -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS -DBIN_INSTALL_PATH="\"/usr/lib/xbmc\"" -DINSTALL_PATH="\"/usr/share/xbmc\"" -DHAS_SDL_2D -DMID -D'GIT_REV="a4d6ec9"' -D_ARMEL -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -I/home/pi/code/plex-linux-old -I/usr/include/SDL -I/usr/include/alsa -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/fribidi -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/lzo -I/usr/include/mysql -I/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dbus-1.0/include PlayerCoreFactory.cpp -o PlayerCoreFactory.o
PlayerCoreFactory.cpp:25:39: fatal error: cores/dvdplayer/DVDPlayer.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [PlayerCoreFactory.o] Error 1

I can crudley fix these by putting files in the same directory and modifying the include paths but that's not right so wondered if people had a more permenant way to fix it.

Thanks
Col
by MattPoat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:38 pm
I can offer no assistance with this, but I too am a big Plex fan and so support your efforts sir!

Matthew
"I'm selling these fine leather jackets"
by UnchillBill » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:54 pm
Did it bootstrap and configure properly? I've been trying to compile it as well, with little success.
by chickey » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:02 pm
Hi I could get it o bootstrap and compile with mods bu nit actually working. Some guys have taken a different Akers on it with a python plex app which wraps around omx player, sounds promising

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/top ... e__st__120
by dalehamel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:22 am
I tried doing this on Gentoo linux.

I was able to get it compiling (i *highly* recommend using distcc + a cross compiling on a larger machine to save time), but it would segfault on launch. That was a few months ago.

I am going to revisit this, but in the meantime I am working on a simple python based player that uses iOS or android to control it (no gui, just a frontend server). You can take a look at https://github.com/dalehamel/pyplex.

It works for basic playback right now. I am working on stabilizing it so that I at least have some kind of plex on the RPi. Once it is stable I will attempt the plex-linux port again.

It should be possible, but we will have to backport the XBMC patches that enable arm building properly. We will also have to force it to use OMXPlayer to play everything, as that is the only GPU accelerated player for RPi.