Language for Robotic Sailboat

General programming chat and advice for beginners

3 posts
by drobertsonlee » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:33 pm
My team is building a robotic sailboat using raspberry pi and I need some advice on what programming language is best suited for development on the pi.

Here's a short summary of the project:

The arduino-mega interfaces with the motors and sensors and communicates with the pi using usb/serial. This is intended so that we can easily swap out the pi for a laptop and debug our code on a laptop connected by usb to the arduino (and thus the rest of the hardware).

Our pi application will do some of the following:
-read/write over usb-serial to Arduino
-contain all the sailing logic required to steer the boat
-run a webserver that allows any browser to access the state of the boat over wifi
-handle instructions sent from a browser

Keep in mind we also want the application to be as platform independent as possible - meaning we want to be able to plug and play the same code that we develop/test on a laptop onto the pi with as little additional configuration as possible.

We have considered python, but many members of the team are more familiar with Java and therefore are leaning towards Java.

Can anyone please advise on the pros/cons of these and other programming languages for our project?
by raspberrypiguy1 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:28 pm
Well....

Python is simpler and therefore is going to give you a lot more control for less code... It's also very universally compatible.

Not had much experience with Java but from what I understand it is less compatible/ easy to use...

Its up to you really!

The Raspberry Pi Guy ;)
13... Now 14... Now 15 year old Raspberry Pi tutorial maker, programmer, electronics tinkerer, fascinated by space & the ISS, Maths enthusiast. Oh... And the Raspberry Pi is awesome!
by fivdi » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:55 pm
How about JavaScript (Node.js) and johnny-five? https://github.com/rwldrn/johnny-five